Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
In what way is what I'm saying offsetting? The simple fact is that the poor will be displaced due to gentrification. Many of DC's poor are black, and unfortunately, some of them are rude, wiley, and give the city a bad name. That has nothing to do with race and everything to do with poverty. Whatever the case may be, I DO give back to the community. To be honest, the most fervent people I have seen giving backs are transplants like myself. So please, don't lecture me on how I should feel about some blacks who give the rest of us a bad name.

Caveat: I'm getting tired of some of these fonts who come into every thread, hijack it, and make it about race. I made this thread in the hopes that we can discuss DC's future, not how better-off blacks "should" treat less well-off ones.

I really do not want the thread closed.
You're cavalier attitude, blanket stereotyping, and racialization in regards to poor blacks in the city is what's offsetting since you are after all someone who supposedly comes from that background. There's this persistent theme of well to do folks trying to distance themselves less fortunate folks. You're simply delighted to have them leave DC. Let's refrain from the phrase " it's not about race, it's about poverty" or any other variation. I admittedly don't know much about the history of inner city DC, but if it's anything like Detroit, NYC, Baltimore, Chicago, Richmond, or Norfolk(and they're all similar in terms of how race impacted the lives of people) then I guarantee you that DC is no different. We can even forget history for a moment and just be reflective of how it plays out today(this is empirical). This board is a good example of how poor residents are caricatured where race is all but stated and there's a good reason why people are being critical of your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:29 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
So is any discussion without people looking for codes or whatnot even possible ? or is race such an important part of everything, everything must be discussed as a topic about race ? It would be really great if for once, some of you wouldn't go out of your way to make everything sound racist and just focus on the topic...
Yac.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
I'm sorry... why can't new people that move here share the local culture that exist in DC right now?
The current/old culture of DC is a very black oriented culture. Not a bad thing, but when less than half of DC's population is black, it doesn't make much sense to keep that culture anymore. It's not that DC has no culture, as others like to say, but there has been a birth of a new culture that all races can be apart of

Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM

492 posts, read 1,008,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
So is any discussion without people looking for codes or whatnot even possible ? or is race such an important part of everything, everything must be discussed as a topic about race ? It would be really great if for once, some of you wouldn't go out of your way to make everything sound racist and just focus on the topic...
Yac.
Thank you. Hopefully this thread does not close. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this city's future. There are many well-informed people on here from whom we can learn.

I see Anacostia and the Navy Yard area becoming big. Very big. With the waterfront soon to be finished, the one in Gtown will be an afterthought. This one will be larger, and much more connected to the Arlington (water taxis are being considered for the city) area and Clarendon.

To be honest, I see the green/yellow line becoming places where the hottest properties are, while the western part of the red line and orange/blue line shrinks.

As the city becomes less car-dependent (which it will, most of the city is heavily pushing for it, as am I), the metro and the streetcar system will be deciding factors for hot property. If you look at the map provided, you'll see that the city is putting much more streetcars on its eastern side.

I also see Tyson's Corner and Pentagon City competing as the premier mall of the region. Eventually, I see Tyson's corner continuing to be for the more wealthy, but will still make an effort to attract the masses.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM

465 posts, read 658,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octa View Post
there's something offsetting about middle class blacks who has the outlook you do. I too come from poverty and i know i had the help of my family, friends, the community, and policies to undo centuries of racial inequity to help me get where i'm at today. If you're proud of your accomplishments then you should be doing everything in your power to help out the community instead of looking upon them as if you're better than them. Success and upward mobility isn't individualized and problems that plague inner city communities were not created by the people who live there.

^+10

Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
*sigh* ah the wet dreams and fantasies of gentrifiers........this thread looks like something I wouldve read in washingtoncitypaper 4 years ago......interestingly enough a lot of your predictions sound realistic but I have to disagree with a few......

I think anacostia will get hit the hardest as it stands to be the most gentrified part of SE besides potomac ave.......Id like to see what happens to all the low income apt complexes in the area....gentrifiers like artistic, vintage and/or classic architecture, something these buildings clearly lack.....unless the streetcar line is built all the way down to southern ave (im not holding my breath, I actually think thats laughable), I forsee little change to the simple city (whats listed on maps as "benning Heights") area as well as 37th 3rd world and all those other notorious SE hoods...

Multicultural? meh not quite. I can see multiracial but most of those people are going to be from the same class of K st, capitol hill and non profit lobbyists, interns and hi ranking govt personnel. Distinct styles and characters in a gentrified DC? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Theyre all going to be overpriced gentrified generic districts specifically catered to yuppies and bougie negroes with money.....im sure MDAllStar has orgasms just thinking about it.....

It would be quite interesting if working class blacks move back to gtown. But more than likely, its going to be more like woodley park or tenleytown than Uptown DC pre gentrification...

it'll only be a success if DC city govt can hire some civil engineers with some common focking sense. Knowing what I know about DC city gov.....lol *facepalm* *smh*

Its been said already but DC already had a STRONG and truly LOCAL culture that had all the stuff you listed and then some. It was just too black. Considering DC was and still is a federal govt town, I dont see what unique artsy stuff theyre going to bring to the city. DC certainly isnt a hipster hotspot (who ironically are culture vultures themselves but thats another thread for another time). Only other groups in the city that really added distinct flavor to the district were the salvadorian and ethiopian immigrant communities.

And as long people intern in the district and as long as people want to do work besides govt related work, DC will forever be a govt worker kind of town. And no matter how much DC is going to try to be something it isnt, those govt workers will move away once they get tired of a govt line of work.....

There already is a dividing line btwn rich and poor blacks in DC. The black bourgeosie just wont hide out on 16th St, Capitol Hill, NoVA and montogmery counties anymore. But I am curious to know as to where on Rhode Island ave the bougie blacks are going to move to....

Its not going to take off like you think. A large majority of the area professionals work for the federal govt. If that happens, those fed agencies are going to start random drug testing (if they dont do this already)

^+100
I think you just about covered everything champ.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Shouldn't that be: "if someone is stupid enough to pay the price, then..."

Stupidity has very little to do with why people are willing to pay DC housing prices. It has to do with access to jobs. What is "stupid" about wanting to live close to your job? DC has tons of high-paying jobs that can't be found elsewhere in the country. As a result, people are willing to pay more to live here compared to other parts of the country.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
The current/old culture of DC is a very black oriented culture. Not a bad thing, but when less than half of DC's population is black, it doesn't make much sense to keep that culture anymore. It's not that DC has no culture, as others like to say, but there has been a birth of a new culture that all races can be apart of

DC is still 50% Black and I just love how all of these new people simply want to move here and all of a sudden change our cultural norms so that they can feel more comfortable. I mean...it's an insult. If you don't like the people here or our culture, just go somewhere else that fits your style. There are plenty of lame "multicultural" cities to choose from. I'm so tired of Native Washingtonians being asked to sacrifice our city's culture to make these damn transplants more comfortable. You act as if we lobbied for you to move here or something. Do you ask people in New York, Boston, Philly, LA or Chicago to change/adjust their cultures. You wouldn't dare, why because those places are not majority AA and you have respect for the historically White culture that exist there. What needs to happen is new residents to DC need to embrace and respect our existing culture, just like we would have to do if we decided to move to another city. Either you all are going to adjust or we're just going to be fighting like cats and dogs for infinity. Because one thing I'll tell you about DC people is that we're head strong and we're all in when it comes to our city. If people think that these arguments on C-D are bad, you should see what's happening on a day to day basis in the streets and at many of these community meetings. Especially in neighborhoods that are being Gentrified in parts of NW and NE.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:32 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Stupidity has very little to do with why people are willing to pay DC housing prices. It has to do with access to jobs. What is "stupid" about wanting to live close to your job? DC has tons of high-paying jobs that can't be found elsewhere in the country. As a result, people are willing to pay more to live here compared to other parts of the country.
I commented on the price. Location had nothing to do with it.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:35 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I commented on the price. Location had nothing to do with it.
When it comes to housing, you can't separate price and location. It's meaningless to talk about one but not the other. They affect each other too much. A $1 million house would be way overpriced in a depressed country town, but way underpriced on the Upper East Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC