Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,345,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
DC is still 50% Black and I just love how all of these new people simply want to move here and all of a sudden change our cultural norms so that they can feel more comfortable. I mean...it's an insult. If you don't like the people here or our culture, just go somewhere else that fits your style. There are plenty of lame "multicultural" cities to choose from. I'm so tired of Native Washingtonians being asked to sacrifice our city's culture to make these damn transplants more comfortable. You act as if we lobbied for you to move here or something. Do you ask people in New York, Boston, Philly, LA or Chicago to change/adjust their cultures. You wouldn't dare, why because those places are not majority AA and you have respect for the historically White culture that exist there. What needs to happen is new residents to DC need to embrace and respect our existing culture, just like we would have to do if we decided to move to another city. Either you all are going to adjust or we're just going to be fighting like cats and dogs for infinity. Because one thing I'll tell you about DC people is that we're head strong and we're all in when it comes to our city. If people think that these arguments on C-D are bad, you should see what's happening on a day to day basis in the streets and at many of these community meetings. Especially in neighborhoods that are being Gentrified in parts of NW and NE.

I dont think the issue is about acceptance of local DC culture as much as it is about the ghetto unruly/inappropriate/often-times violent behavior that is espoused by many of the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:55 PM

465 posts, read 655,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Actually, I do. I am specifically trying to teach some of the youth other languages, so that they can be more competitive in the work force. Yes, some of them make it difficult, but that has absolutely nothing to do with them or their race, and more to do with how growing up in poverty can make someone (understandably) bitter and cynical.

Furthermore, I'm tired of that argument about "What have YOU done to help US?". Does that not seem a little selfish, rude, and offensive to you? Help yourself!

And I never said that every black native to here was like that, because I KNOW that's not true (it's also impossible. Really? EVERY single black Washingtonian is like that? REALLY???). But the fact remains that certain metro lines (re: green and yellow) have a deservedly bad reputation for unruliness and general bad behavior because of some of these blacks who, quite frankly, EMBARRASS me as another black person. If they do not embarrass you, then I don't know what to tell you, but every other black person with whom I've conversed about the subject is also at least weary of many of the poor blacks here. I can't say what is going to happen to them in the next few years is right, but I can say that this city needs to be safer and more educated, and that means that many of the poorer blacks will be shipped out (essentially) and wealthier, better educated blacks (such as yourself) will come in/stay.

But to get more on topic...

I see the university's of the city getting much better, riding the wave of the city's growth. I especially feel that way about George Washington University and Howard University, probably the most "DC" of the schools (with the exception of UDC, which is ACTUALLY the uni of DC). These two are located in prime real estate, and the area around Howard is already poised to boom big time. I see Howard moving up the ranks and having an even greater pull in the city as time goes on, especially as more students decide to stay in DC and the middle/upper class black populations move back into the city.

I also do not think that the Asian population will grow all that much in DC. I think the suburbs will see a larger increase in Asians due to having better school districts.

You know what partner, it really angers me when AA's that have had opportunity in life start to belittle our Brothers and Sisters that are less fortunate. I grew up poor in DC in some the city's worst neighborhoods and only by the grace of God am I probably still alive today. Yes... I made it and I'm doing extremely well for myself. But I also feel like I owe it to my less fortunate neighbors to throw that rope back and to give them a hand up. Am I going to save everyone? Hell no, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to try.

What really disturbs me though is when I hear AA's like yourself that are new to DC immediately write off our Black poor population as, dumb, ghetto or as some sort of temporary inconvenience as the Gentrification process continues. How are you any different from the non-Black Gentrifiers that move here. If anything you guys should be joining those of us that are already here to try and uplift this segment of our population. Many of these people are not bad and really all they need is the information that we have and they can excel just like you and I do. I mean... I here you talk about the poor AAs here embarrassing you, but what major city have you been to where you don't see those type of people. You mean to tell me that you don't have them in your hometown??

I think you really need to study the modern history of Washington, DC before you make such broad indictments about a class of people. Many of the people that you're referring to actually used to be considered working class before these big developers moved into the city and inflated the COL. In fact it was the poor and working class AAs that fought to make this city a top destination for Black people during the late 60's and throughout the 70's and 80's. Before that DC was a very tough place to live in if you were Black. We had no political power, the police force was mostly White and very racist and we really didn't have any financial clout at all. You should really be careful about allying yourself with the priorities of the Gentrification movement because they have no interests in advancing AA culture whether it be created by poor AAs or middle class and upper middle class AAs. All the Gentrifiers are interested in, is bullying AAs in DC to assimilate into their boring robotic-like culture. The same culture that you can find in most White-washed cities in America. What has always made DC interesting, is that our culture was different from other cities. We have our own slang, music, food and style of dress and it was run totally by Black people. DC was one of the few major cities that always felt like home if you were Black. One thing is for sure, you and I are just a few paychecks or a bad break away from being lumped in with DC's poor/working class AAs and you and others like you would be wise to keep that in mind.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:00 PM

44 posts, read 51,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
DC is still 50% Black and I just love how all of these new people simply want to move here and all of a sudden change our cultural norms so that they can feel more comfortable. I mean...it's an insult. If you don't like the people here or our culture, just go somewhere else that fits your style. There are plenty of lame "multicultural" cities to choose from. I'm so tired of Native Washingtonians being asked to sacrifice our city's culture to make these damn transplants more comfortable. You act as if we lobbied for you to move here or something. Do you ask people in New York, Boston, Philly, LA or Chicago to change/adjust their cultures. You wouldn't dare, why because those places are not majority AA and you have respect for the historically White culture that exist there. What needs to happen is new residents to DC need to embrace and respect our existing culture, just like we would have to do if we decided to move to another city. Either you all are going to adjust or we're just going to be fighting like cats and dogs for infinity. Because one thing I'll tell you about DC people is that we're head strong and we're all in when it comes to our city. If people think that these arguments on C-D are bad, you should see what's happening on a day to day basis in the streets and at many of these community meetings. Especially in neighborhoods that are being Gentrified in parts of NW and NE.
DC is under 50% black now, probably around 46-47%. By 2020 that number will probably by around 38-40% and that's being optimistic. DC grows at 1000+ per month and the majority of those transplants are white. DC getting more diverse is actually a good thing though, especially since a lot of the suburbs are also getting more diverse. However a lot of places in PG county are 95-100% black and that's a negative. No where should be 100% of any race. Sometimes I wish PG was more like MoCo.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I dont think the issue is about acceptance of local DC culture as much as it is about the ghetto unruly/inappropriate/often-times violent behavior that is espoused by many of the locals.

Oh really?? Well.. I'd suggest that you read some of their comments again because that's not what they seem to be saying.

Originally Posted by TyBrGr
The current/old culture of DC is a very black oriented culture. Not a bad thing, but when less than half of DC's population is black, it doesn't make much sense to keep that culture anymore. It's not that DC has no culture, as others like to say, but there has been a birth of a new culture that all races can be apart of

I agree. With the amount of transplants setting up shop, I have even noticed a stigma against speaking like a native, especially amongst the buppie crowd. The fear, to be honest, is that you will be associated with native (re: poor) Washingtonians, which can hurt your appeal in the long term.

DC will likely begin to have a definitive accent and such with some old washingtonian undertones.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:29 PM

492 posts, read 1,004,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
This. This. This again.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:29 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 202DCtoNYC718 View Post
DC is under 50% black now.
That doesn't mean it's anyone's right to dump on blacks like people are doing, not even other blacks.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 PM

492 posts, read 1,004,416 times
Also, I see DC's love of wine causing much of the Tobacco farms in Virginia and Maryland to become vineyards, creating a growing "wine country" form of tourism for the area.

I love my wine as much as any Washingtonian, so I really hope that this one comes true!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
DC is under 50% black now, probably around 46-47%. By 2020 that number will probably by around 38-40% and that's being optimistic. DC grows at 1000+ per month and the majority of those transplants are white. DC getting more diverse is actually a good thing though, especially since a lot of the suburbs are also getting more diverse. However a lot of places in PG county are 95-100% black and that's a negative. No where should be 100% of any race. Sometimes I wish PG was more like MoCo.

Do you have any data to support what you've just said. You're entiltled to your opinion but you don't get to make up facts. As I have stated repeatedly on this forum, when it comes to the Census and how it counts Black people the data is useless. Black people are often undercounted and many poor AAs simply do not participate in the Census. The truth is DC's Black population has always been undercounted so we don't know what the percentage is right now. You're definitely wrong about that number though. Most of the neighborhoods East of Rock Creek Park are still majority Black and that's a fact.

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Census Undercounts Minorities by 1.5 Million | Fox News Latino

Select 2012 Ward Profile - NeighborhoodInfo DC

DC getting more diverse is actually a good thing though,

Don't be fooled. Just because the city overall has become a little more diverse doesn't mean that it translates to the neighborhood level. Blacks are just being moved from once majority Black neighborhoods to neighborhoods that are currently majority Black. People will tell you that DC is diverse and integrated but it certainly doesn't feel that way when you live here. This city is one of the most segregated in the country. I think you might want to study this issue a little further.

Watch These American Cities Segregate, Even As They Diversify - CityLab

The 22 Most Segregated Cities In America - Business Insider

Integration In D.C. Is Happening on the Edges Of Black Neighborhoods - City Desk

However a lot of places in PG county are 95-100% black and that's a negative.

Well the upper middle class AA's in PG don't seem to agree with you. They are segregating themselves for a reason. Besides it's White people that left PGC that caused that to happen. What the hell are AAs suppose to do about that. If they want to move I say let'em. BTW MOCO sucks!!! you can have it.

African American Environmentalist Association: Prince George's County Remains Black By Choice

Prince George

http://www.bet.com/news/national/201...egregated.html

I love this quote from the article above, I think it says it all.

"Perhaps the most frightening aspect of this story isn’t simply that some whites are apparently terrified of living around Black people. It’s that some whites are terrified of living around Black people even when those Black people are wealthy, educated and employed. If whites fleeing Prince George’s County are unwilling to live around that county’s Blacks, some of whom are millionaires, what sorts of Blacks do they find tolerable? The answer seems to be none."

Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
This. This. This again.

This What??? That's not what the posters are saying though. That maybe what you wanted to say but it's certainly not what you and others have said. BTW I see you never answered my question.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Apparently you haven't heard the news.

CFO Forecasts the End of D.C.’s Population Boom - Housing Complex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC