Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:25 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,393,430 times

Advertisements

^ you seem to have everything all figured out like
the devil's advocate or something, don't you?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 PM

490 posts, read 923,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I can't imagine PGC just laying down and accepting this massive influx of low-skilled, low-earning, and poorly-educated people. Another poster commented on how PGC officials already see it happening, and are increasingly making it difficult for the poor to live there. That makes sense: It is an extremely wealthy black area and wealthy areas rarely just roll over and accept their houses losing value.

That's why I think these next few years will prove interesting. The DMV area is playing hot-potato with the poor. While PGC has the metro lines that lead through the poor DC areas, I'm sure they'll find some way to heavily impede the country from getting poorer.

They may not be able to help it, but they'll sure try. I can't say I blame them though. PGC is extremely wealthy and is populated by black, well-paid professionals who left DC for the very same reason their white counterparts did: to escape the poor. They wouldn't want the poor then just showing up in the neighborhood.

LOL HAHAHAHA You said playing "HOT POTATO" your absolutely right. The next few years will tell us where they end up. Its like D.C. tries to throw them to NoVa (Nova is like Hell No), throws them to Moco (Moco is like I don't/want them) and we throw them to PG county

Old 06-19-2014, 05:40 PM

857 posts, read 1,199,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It is the simple laws of supply and demand. As supply gets low (affordable housing in the district), people will start moving to where the more affordable housing is. Which is on the east side of the district. This was alluded to in another thread. Unfortunately, the outer Beltway suburbs will feel the impact of lower-income individuals being pushed further from the Beltway.

Cities Like Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Clinton, Laurel, Greenbelt out near NASA, Glenmont, and even Gaithersburg will feel the increase in lower income residents in 10-15 years. Especially where metro is accessible. Of course there will be pockets of affordable housing within the Beltway.

It all depends on how long DC experiences an influx of more affluent individuals who can afford the rising housing prices. Thus, continuing to grab up whatever new housing supply is built.
the supply and demand argument makes sense.....somewhat....Bowie Upper marlboro and the other towns you named dont have housing for working class people (I heard Gaithersburg has some but I never spent time out there to know for sure) so I dont see how theyre going to move to these areas.

And I refuse to believe most of these gentrifiers are just live and let die folks who just want affordable housing. working class immigrants and most other folks move to a neighborhood, other things may change. Rent doesnt. Gentrifiers move to an affordable area because "they want affordable housing" and the housing is no longer affordable after they move in. It doesnt take an economist, a real estate expert or a sociologist to figure that out.

Quote:
Right. In a way, gentrification is just the term used for people going to places that are affordable, which makes complete sense to do. But the poorer ones will surely go further away from the district. This will be accelerated even more so once streetcars come, and once Silver Spring becomes a real power player in its own right (and its well on its way).

I wonder what PG County is doing to prepare itself for this. I just recently realized how wealthy the area is. They can't be thrilled to know that DC is ready to just dump its poor into the county.
You make PG County sound like the black fairfax county. Dcallday had it right it doesnt sound like youve been out there much. Most of the black wealth is the outer fringes of the county. The rest of PG (except the area around UMD college park) is working class and poor communities.

Quote:
I can't imagine PGC just laying down and accepting this massive influx of low-skilled, low-earning, and poorly-educated people. Another poster commented on how PGC officials already see it happening, and are increasingly making it difficult for the poor to live there. That makes sense: It is an extremely wealthy black area and wealthy areas rarely just roll over and accept their houses losing value.

That's why I think these next few years will prove interesting. The DMV area is playing hot-potato with the poor. While PGC has the metro lines that lead through the poor DC areas, I'm sure they'll find some way to heavily impede the country from getting poorer.

They may not be able to help it, but they'll sure try. I can't say I blame them though. PGC is extremely wealthy and is populated by black, well-paid professionals who left DC for the very same reason their white counterparts did: to escape the poor. They wouldn't want the poor then just showing up in the neighborhood.
*facepalm* *smh* poor blacks have been moving into PGC for the last 10-15 years where have you been?????????? And you act like most of the blacks exiled out of DC are section 8 recipients, most of them are working class and working poor so I dont see what policies are going to be used to keep them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
LOL HAHAHAHA You said playing "HOT POTATO" your absolutely right. The next few years will tell us where they end up. Its like D.C. tries to throw them to NoVa (Nova is like Hell No), throws them to Moco (Moco is like I don't/want them) and we throw them to PG county
You must have laughed with glee at them poor peoples misfortune *smdh*

first off theyre already going to NoVA. its called prince william county

Where in MoCo are they gonna go besides gaithersburg and the few affordable areas left in silver spring?????

gentrification is going to dump as many poor into PGC as humanly possible. Esp since this purple line wont be built anytime soon. Plus large swaths of SE have yet to gentrify (much to yall dismay) and not all of NE has gentrified (although the gentrifier vultures have "discovered" those areas *rollseyes*

the stupidity on these boards never fails.....

Old 06-19-2014, 05:53 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,202,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
the supply and demand argument makes sense.....somewhat....Bowie Upper marlboro and the other towns you named dont have housing for working class people (I heard Gaithersburg has some but I never spent time out there to know for sure) so I dont see how theyre going to move to these areas.

And I refuse to believe most of these gentrifiers are just live and let die folks who just want affordable housing. working class immigrants and most other folks move to a neighborhood, other things may change. Rent doesnt. Gentrifiers move to an affordable area because "they want affordable housing" and the housing is no longer affordable after they move in. It doesnt take an economist, a real estate expert or a sociologist to figure that out.

You make PG County sound like the black fairfax county. Dcallday had it right it doesnt sound like youve been out there much. Most of the black wealth is the outer fringes of the county. The rest of PG (except the area around UMD college park) is working class and poor communities.

*facepalm* *smh* poor blacks have been moving into PGC for the last 10-15 years where have you been?????????? And you act like most of the blacks exiled out of DC are section 8 recipients, most of them are working class and working poor so I dont see what policies are going to be used to keep them out.

You must have laughed with glee at them poor peoples misfortune *smdh*

first off theyre already going to NoVA. its called prince william county

Where in MoCo are they gonna go besides gaithersburg and the few affordable areas left in silver spring?????

gentrification is going to dump as many poor into PGC as humanly possible. Esp since this purple line wont be built anytime soon. Plus large swaths of SE have yet to gentrify (much to yall dismay) and not all of NE has gentrified (although the gentrifier vultures have "discovered" those areas *rollseyes*

the stupidity on these boards never fails.....
I really wouldn't call Bowie, Mitchellville, Clinton, Fort Washington, Marlton, Woodmore, etc. the outer fringes IMO. Maybe Brandywine, Accokeek, parts of Greater Upper Marlboro, and a few other places. They may not be inner-Beltway neighborhoods, but I wouldn't necessarily call them the fringes. I live in Brandywine and it definitely does feel like the outer fringes in comparison to when I lived in Clinton and Capitol Heights previously.

PG County has a lot of large wealthy enclaves but also has a lot of working class to lower middle/mid-middle class nabes as well. I'd say my county has a pretty decent socioeconomically diverse profile.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:15 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,226 times
Quote:

You don't have to live somewhere or be there constantly to have an understanding of the place.

DC natives always act like they can be the only authorities on the city. The city is ours, not yours

The number of poor communities there now does not matter. The wealthy will still do what they can to keep the numbers where they are or lower. It'd the only thing that makes economic sense for a homeowner.

I didn't act like anything. I said they were poor.

Wealthy people can do A LOT of things to make sure that their neighborhoods stay the way they want it. See Georgetown. See Woodley Park. See any wealthy area. When homeowners want something a certain way, they will try their damndest to get it done.

The hard truth is that no one wants the poor masses that DC is trying to dump on the area, and people will do what is necessary to make sure that they aren't the ones holding the proverbial potato by the end of all this.

PGC will undoubtedly get the most, however, just due to proximity. But it will be damned if it gets them all.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:13 AM

7,082 posts, read 9,557,018 times
Quote:
If recent demand calls for 20-35 year olds choosing to live without cars and wanting to be in more dense transit-oriented urban areas for social reasons, then I would think that those exurbs you mentioned would have more supply than demand, which would lower prices and thus become more affordable for those being priced out of the inner-Beltway suburbs. Simple economics right? If you're a multifamily developer in Bowie and your lease rate is at 70%, you don't let 30% of your units sit empty. You start lowering your prices before revenue loss bleeds you out and you have to sell the property at a loss. Some owners even start converting those empty units to section 8 for guaranteed revenue from the government. Which increases the poor populous in that area.

And if gas continues to increase and incomes remain stagnant, being near transit will be even more appealing. Of course this whole demographic shift can take 15 - 20 years to complete.

As DC continues to transform itself with industries other than government related that attracts only highly skilled workers, you'll continue to see lower-to-middle-income individuals start moving east and past the Beltway for cheaper housing.

And here's a thought, unless Baltimore transforms itself, it may be a refuge for those who want an inner-city feel but without DC area prices while still being close enough for a reasonable commute and the ability to visit family and friends on the weekends.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 06-20-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
gentrification is going to dump as many poor into PGC as humanly possible. Esp since this purple line wont be built anytime soon.
Studies suggest that lower-income numbers are increasing in Moco as well as PGC and Prince William. So, no, they aren't all going to PGC. Especially since DC east of the Anacostia River still exists as a haven for lower-income DC residents.

Also, Purple Line construction starts next year. That's soon enough. These demographic shifts we're discussing takes decades to settle down.

I suspect that the Purple Line Corridor Cities in PGC will look completely different in 15-20 years and there will be little room for low-income individuals.

Of course this all depends on the DC area's growth continuing for the next decade.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 AM

492 posts, read 1,008,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Studies suggest that lower-income numbers are increasing in Moco as well as PGC and Prince William. So, no, they aren't all going to PGC. Especially since DC east of the Anacostia River still exists as a haven for lower-income DC residents.

Also, Purple Line construction starts next year. That's soon enough. These demographic shifts we're discussing takes decades to settle down.

I suspect that the Purple Line Corridor Cities in PGC will look completely different in 15-20 years and there will be little room for low-income individuals.

Of course this all depends on the DC area's growth continuing for the next decade.
DC will most definitely continue to grow, unless a massive, MASSIVE event happened to the city. Too many people are coming and the city is increasingly investing in being a city that doesn't solely depend on being the Capital. Those investments should start to see returns around 2018.

And you're completely right. The purple line will push poor people even further out. People simply don't want to live in the suburbs or a "car city" anymore, so transit hubs will continue to be where those with $$$ will live.

As you pointed out, real work on the Purple Line will begin very soon (in construction terms, that is). The line has support from just about everyone (Save the environmentalists and obtuse NIMBYs, who will soon realize that the trails will not be harmed by the line). This greatly facilitates the process, because now politicians realize that advocating and trying to streamline the project will win votes/political favor/press coverage. I see the line opening reasonably on time. The only state involved is Maryland, unlike the Silver line, where both the District's people and VA's were involved.

The purple line is genius for Maryland and will mean even more wealth for its moneymakers: The Washington suburbs.

I do wonder just how far out the "poverty ring" will be, what with Baltimore starting/wanting to get its act together.

Either way, the next few decades, more so than the previous ones, have no space for low-skilled, poorly-educated people. With automation and global competition, having even a Bachelor's will increasingly no longer be enough. I can't imagine the next few years for those who only have a high school diploma.

#RoyallyScrewed

Last edited by DginnWonder; 06-20-2014 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Added part on Purple line

Old 06-20-2014, 10:08 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,327 times
Quote:
Some cities aren't. Rent in Bowie is increasing and I know a few people who have had to move out of Bowie this year because it's getting to expensive to rent. Bowie doesn't appear to be seriously entertaining the idea of any kind of rent control ordinance either.

Quote:
Bowie seniors have complained that rent increases do not reflect the cost of living adjustment and asked the City Council to consider measures to stabilize rent, but they were disappointed with results of a city staff report Monday advising against the assistance.

The Senior Citizen Rental Assistance report evaluated whether a rent control ordinance, such as the one in Takoma Park, or a cash assistance program would be viable solutions.

The report concluded that a rent control ordinance would deter property owners from investing in Bowie residential communities, said Jesse Buggs, the director of the city’s office of grant development and administration.
Bowie seniors citizens, council disappointed with rental assistance report -- Gazette.Net

Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Some cities aren't. Rent in Bowie is increasing and I know a few people who have had to move out of Bowie this year because it's getting to expensive to rent. Bowie doesn't appear to be seriously entertaining the idea of any kind of rent control ordinance either.

Bowie seniors citizens, council disappointed with rental assistance report -- Gazette.Net
I'd like to see how long that continues and if that will be the case 10+ years from now. Of course the outer suburbs are still growing. But at what rate and is that rate sustainable in the future as more investment is focused on the inner-Beltway communities? Will new developments closer to the Beltway like Westphalia and Konterra have an effect on Bowie and other exurbs? It will be interesting to see where things shake out in 10-15 years.

College Park is supposed to vote on its rent control laws.

Council to Vote on Expiring City’s Rent Control Law | KabirCares.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: