Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Well at least I am making progress. I was able to score points with you on two paragraphs.

That being said, just because the city is highly educated and traveled doesn't mean that there aren't flaws to the ways that they think. But you know what- let's do this for once and for all. You are mine today because enough is enough. I’m feeling frisky!
Absolute strawman. No one ever, EVER said there aren't flaws in how educated / traveled people think. Anyone who's seen how poorly our country is often run can see there are many, MANY flaws. I bring up educated / traveled people because you seem insistent that those who are happy here are somehow lacking in life experience, so it's important to remind you that many probably have a broader perspective than you.

I'm honestly worried to continue reading. You have this peculiar way of only seeing things from a very specific perspective and then extrapolating in all sorts of false directions. But, you seem intent so I shall soldier on...

Quote:
Why is that so many people that aren’t from here can get so fired up about their complaints regarding DC but yet, the responses are so simple? Answer me that now- and don’t give me the “we are tired of defending” response because then why even bother in the first place. There is nothing wrong with DC. I repeat, there is nothing wrong with DC. However- there are those that have serious complains but can never be properly addressed because of DC's inability to do so and fully explain and connect with those on a different dimension.
What sort of platform do you want for these folks? All they do is complain. What more are we supposed to do for them? They have their place to vent. People complain about meth addicts and drunks and gossips in rural communities. They complain about narcissists and pretty much everything in New York and traffic / narcissistic people in L.A. People complain. Far stronger to find the good than the bad in a place.

The failure of your arguments - every, single time - is that you are locked in this false idea that people who somehow enjoy living in this vibrant city are blocked / ignorant / blinded by their blue room / whatever your attack of the day is.

It's actually possible to see that there's obnoxious, type-A people here (duh. It's the political center of the world), bad traffic, crappy Metro on weekends, brutally hot summers, outrageous prices for a city that offers about 1/5 what other cities in the same price range offer... and STILL appreciate the art galleries, artists, entrepreneurs, scientists, engineers, people from all over the world, street musicians, concert venues, running / bike trails, rivers to kayak, large black professional class, great bartenders, live concert venues and world class schools.

This is the DC I know, which is why your "DC people are blocked" meme always comes up flat. Why would I obsess over what DC isn't? Would you be so obsessive wondering why Los Angeles or Las Vegas are full of entertainment people and not a lot of intellectuals or factory workers?

As I've said before - you're a body builder. You're a bottle service / nightclub type aficionado. This is not the city for that type of person. Likewise, neither is Portland. Doesn't make people who like Portland are blocked.

Quote:
Tell me, how does the fact that there only being mostly Central Americans in the area not affect the social mechanics? Do you know why that there are mostly Central Americans and not south americans/Caribbean’s in the area? Do you know how the social mechanics would change if you had more living in the immediate areas? You don’t even touch these areas.
And if there were more Cambodians, the social mechanics would change even more! Wow!
Why would I touch on an abstract hypothetical of some collection of people you pulled out of thin air?

You can see the populations that live here in sizable quantities in any census. That's what DC has.

Might as well ask what Miami would be if it had more Dutch influence rather than Cuban or Detroit with more Chinese immigrants than Arabic or El Paso if it weren't right across the river from Juarez.

Cities are what they are and are defined as such.

Why can't people be happy in these places without the city excelling in every aspect? DC would be a terrible place for an aspiring actor or country musician to live, for example, but that's okay. There are other places for that.

Quote:
So when one would read the below paragraph written by another poster in another site, but yet, a DC poster would continue to disregard it and try to come up with some type of defense or reasoning. That is the disconnect I speak of. So explain to me the two different types of thinking by so many different people? How is that possible- answer me that, forget about getting at me. Why do some people believe that washington is a one trick pony? Answer me that?
Those people just haven't spent much time here. They go to the wrong parties, run in cliche political circles. I don't know. Political wonks are boring for the most part. No need to waste your time with them. There's 6 million people here.

[quote]Bluefly stop it right now./quote]
You're talking to yourself, drumming up a whole false argument in your head that we're not having.

Quote:
You mean to tell me that every article that speaks about DC and all related complaints are just by people that don't fit here? Why must you undermine the creative dimension and intelligence of those that are not drawn to this area or are in need of more?
No one's undermining anyone's "creative dimension". Christ. If you only knew the creative dimensions I roll in, but why does DC need to be a mecca of creativity? Why can't it be DC? Unlike capitals like Paris and Berlin, it was designed to be separate from the centers of creativity and commerce in the US. That hasn't totally held but it speaks to why DC is what it is.

But there you go again - linking intelligence to simply not liking it here, as if people who don't like it here are somehow superior. Every place has its negatives, just a matter of whether or not the positives outweigh those negatives for any particular individual. There's no right answer.

Quote:
Why does a city have to continuously defend its boring state, lack of culture, boring architecture, dullness, endless blogs, rants, and posts? (Don’t give me the all cities are the same DC mentality response- that is all DC has)
It makes sense now. You're just a newbie here. You've only scratched the surface of this place and have jumped to all sorts of conclusions based on the most superficial of stereotypes.

Quote:
And your response to this is probably not really going to explain the real reasons but instead try to unravel my post like some professor at UNLV. No buddy, forget about me- address the OP and get down and gritty.

That is what my post is all about. This is not about me and you. It is about the realities of why DC is the way it is. You most certainly agree that this city is very transient but doesn't that influence the mechanics of the city? No? Not one bit?
Umm.... this is getting bizarre, man. DC was designed to be transient. That's part of what this place is. Why would anyone deny that influences the mechanics of the city? It is the mechanics of the city (though less transient than most realize).

Quote:
The fact you enter a club or happy hour and so many college men are in sports jackets or suits doesn't mean anything about the social mechanics? Of course not because there is that disconnect/blockage that you yourself may see but you are so busy defending your city that you keep a blind eye.
Even more bizarre. I've lived several places. I'm not sure what is inherently negative about people in sport coats. Why is it bad that people dress nice? That's part of the "mechanics" of this city.

Quote:
The point is not whether or not DC is or isn't for everyone. I want no longer the answers of "go back or move if you don't like it here". But here is the thing, I really don't think the highly educated professional types can really get down and explain the differences between those that love it here and others that just want to get out. That is the disconnect between dimension.
Here's the shocker: not every place is a fit for everyone. People who like Denver over New Orleans don't have blockages, just preferences, even if there's more room for creative dimension in New Orleans.

Anyway, you've just not really experienced the city yet. It takes time to get past the stereotypes you're locked in on and, maybe the artists and scientists and others who inspire me here wouldn't do the same for you. No biggie. Good luck finding your niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Only about 90% of the threads bashing DC are that it's too expensive (i.e. I don't make enough for a nice condo) or people are rude (i.e. No one finds me interesting.) or the women are awful (i.e. I've lived here six months and not been able to get a date) or DC people are so stuck up all they want to know is where you work (i.e. I can't find a job.)
If these negative people would focus more on their careers, work a little harder and make more money, then all the other issues would work themselves out automatically. I can easily tell that their negativity stems from a lack of money which would otherwise open up so many more options for them and allow them to discover what this area truly has to offer.

The basic answers to life's problems are actually pretty simple. It's just that some people want to complicate matters way beyond what they really are. Instead of getting with the program, some people would rather come on the internet and complain incessantly. Somehow they didn't get the memo that DC is a high cost of living area. As they say in the vernacular, well d'uh.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitydreamer View Post
if these negative people would focus more on their careers, work a little harder and make more money, then all the other issues would work themselves out automatically. I can easily tell that their negativity stems from a lack of money which would otherwise open up so many more options for them and allow them to discover what this area truly has to offer.

The basic answers to life's problems are actually pretty simple. It's just that some people want to complicate matters way beyond what they really are. Instead of getting with the program, some people would rather come on the internet and complain incessantly. Somehow they didn't get the memo that dc is a high cost of living area. As they say in the vernacular, well d'uh.
+1

Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 AM

103 posts, read 117,132 times
While money certainly helps one be happy, anyone who thinks money alone can make living in DC "happy", is a HUGE part of the problem with the narcissistic, money grubbing, power hungry "vibe" of DC.

That said, it's my favorite city in the US though I despise the metro DC/ MD/VA suburban lifestyle/attitude with the red hot intensity of 1 million suns!!!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartPinkRose View Post
While money certainly helps one be happy, anyone who thinks money alone can make living in DC "happy", is a HUGE part of the problem with the narcissistic, money grubbing, power hungry "vibe" of DC.

That said, it's my favorite city in the US though I despise the metro DC/ MD/VA suburban lifestyle/attitude with the red hot intensity of 1 million suns!!!
Uh ok.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If these negative people would focus more on their careers, work a little harder and make more money, then all the other issues would work themselves out automatically. I can easily tell that their negativity stems from a lack of money which would otherwise open up so many more options for them and allow them to discover what this area truly has to offer.
Mo' money mo' problems. I'm not sure making more money is the solution. I think living within one's means is most important. If that's not enough, perhaps relocating may be a solution. There are a lot of southern up-and-coming cities that one can go to and live a more comfortable life. Although the pay scale will be lower as well. There's always Baltimore.

If you think about it, most of us get raises every year and has our condition changed? No. Because we fill the extra with more stuff. Inflation is also a cause. My wife and I cut the wireless contract cord, the cable cord, and other cords a long time ago. You'd be surprised at how much money you can find being wasted on things that aren't all that necessary for happiness or comfort. We dropped our second car. We got solar panels to help lower our electric bill, etc. Sometimes people need to look at where their money goes. A job was never meant to make people rich - only to support a certain level of comfort or quality of life. If someone thinks they should be living like kings at $40k/year in DC, perhaps their expectations are askew.

I do understand that some people may be underwater in their mortgage which makes it impossible to relocate.

I think people, at times, need to reassess what they really need vs. what they want and find ways where they can make some changes.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM

465 posts, read 657,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartPinkRose View Post

LOL.. and you think that living in Houston is any different.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM

103 posts, read 117,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
LOL.. and you think that living in Houston is any different.
Obviously you've NEVER been here.

I'm in the medical field and outside of Boston, yeah, it doesn't get ANY better than Houston.

Cost of living is significantly cheaper and I'd STILL make a great "DC salary" (when I'm done with school) but with a Houston COL.

Housing? Vinyl siding RULES Metro DC, here in Houston you can get ALL brick, 4-5 bedrooms, 2.5k square feet for between 250-300K. Try doing that in ANY decent Metro DC neighbourhood with great schools!

Intl Airport (we're going to China next year ) and we're also within a 4 hour flight of some of the most amazing cites in the US,
INCLUDING DC.

The people of ALL races are VERY friendly here in Houston. Metro DC has an open UNfriendlessness and insidious racist element that folks either ignore or tolerate to keep that paycheck coming.

Actually, you're right Houston isn't different, it's HELLA DIFFERENT!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekishinken View Post
I agree that there is a sizable amount of racism in DC. I live in a gentrified area and the african american population here are often rude and sometimes hostile to the non african american group.

They just seem to have a major chip on their shoulders over the fact that ghetto trash are being replaced with affluent caucasians.
"Ghetto trash"

Old 06-25-2014, 05:36 AM

161 posts, read 394,876 times
When I first moved to the DC area I didn't really like it either so I understand where you're coming from. It has grown on me in the past few years though (I feel so old saying that). It's mainly because I have friends from high school and college who ended up here, and having that network makes a huge difference no matter the expenses, or job situation, etc.

I've made a few good friends post-college here also, but in general the people I've met here are pretty flaky...I don't think that's just a DC thing though, it's just a "real world" thing.

Not everyone is rude, they just come off that way. In my hometown it's normal to smile and wave and say hello at neighbors and strangers alike but here no one really does that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC