Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times

Advertisements

Funny that you think Shaw is ok when just as many homes there have bars on the windows and the crime stats are not much different than Columbia Heights.

Both neighborhoods are fine as long as you're not expecting Mayberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekishinken View Post
No, Columbia Heights is indeed ghetto. Look at the crime statistics for the area. Hell, many places in Columbia Heights have bars on their windows, not to mention the graffiti on buildings.

There are three places in DC I will never move to: Across the river (Anacostia area), NoMa and Columbia Heights
There are actually pretty decent neighborhoods East of the River such as Hillcrest and Fort DuPont. Those two are very humbled and neighborly lower to mid-middle class neighborhoods and they always have been even back when most of EOTR was even more dangerous 10 to 25 years ago. Don't expect the two to be like DuPont Circle or Woodley Park but also don't expect them to be like Deanwood or Kenilworth either.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:46 PM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
Quote:
No, Columbia Heights is indeed ghetto. Look at the crime statistics for the area. Hell, many places in Columbia Heights have bars on their windows, not to mention the graffiti on buildings.

There are three places in DC I will never move to: Across the river (Anacostia area), NoMa and Columbia Heights
I think those areas are among the best opportunities to make a killing. I personally wouldn't buy East of the River now, but the other two places will be booming in 5 years.

Have you been to 11th St? That area is quite nice and not really consistent with what I would call the ghetto.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:

Meh. I live not far from Columbia Heights in the park view area and outside of Columbia rd on 14th, it's not a bad area at all.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 8,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The only difference between Columbia Heights and Adams Morgan is that CH has a larger Central American population. This doesn't make it "ghetto". Frankly, if anything, it makes the neighborhood more interesting.
I'm looking at Columbia Heights myself, too. When you said "Central American population", that has me up in arms for a small reason. I saw this episode of Gangland on MS13, and the show said that the DC area has a big presence of that gang. I also know that MS13 is in places where there is a significant Salvadorean population. Would anyone happen to know whether Columbia Heights or any other specific neighborhood of DC has an MS13 problem?

Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
I'm looking at Columbia Heights myself, too. When you said "Central American population", that has me up in arms for a small reason. I saw this episode of Gangland on MS13, and the show said that the DC area has a big presence of that gang. I also know that MS13 is in places where there is a significant Salvadorean population. Would anyone happen to know whether Columbia Heights or any other specific neighborhood of DC has an MS13 problem?
MS-13 = Langley Park, MD and Adelphi, MD

Old 07-05-2014, 04:13 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Wow...people treating one of the most gentrified neighborhoods in the district as ghetto. News to people...there are not many bars on the windows in Columbia Heights anymore. Most of the apartments go for $1500+ for a one bedroom. To buy a house in the neighborhood you better come ready to with $800k in cash. If you think it's ghetto your information is extremely dated. The same goes for NoMA. You obviously do not spend much time in either place if you think this to be the case, and it is over 10 years out of date, that may have been the case in the 1990s, but no longer. Frankly the person calling it a ghetto does not know what the hell they are talking about. Columbia heights used to be awful, but that was years ago.

Columbia Heights is a great neighborhood, and it certainly does not have a gang problem.
It is however one of the most dense neighborhoods in DC, with a very high level of foot traffic and brings in people from all over the city. In some ways it is like U Street or Adams Morgan in that respect.

My advice, ignore the anti-gentrification people who try to scare away folks by saying it's dangerous. It's not. It's not even CLOSE to east of the river in terms of crime. Columbia Height's is a good area to move into if you are first moving into the city. If you can afford it...that's the thing, many have been priced out of the neighborhood and are now bitter because professionals who actually have a decent education and a good paying job now dominate it.

Also NOMA and Columbia Heights are already booming, the time to buy in either of those areas was over five years ago.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM

465 posts, read 658,061 times
it is over 10 years out of date,

Ten years huh?? Looks pretty current to me.

Man shot in Columbia Heights Tuesday morning

Guardian Angels patrol 14th Street Corridor after attack | WJLA.com

Columbia Heights IHOP shooting victim, Dante Thomas, speaks out on crime | WJLA.com

Columbia Heights: Adult male stabbed | WJLA.com

Antonio Jerome Williams killed in Columbia Heights shooting | WJLA.com

Luis Aliva Melendez shot, killed in Columbia Heights | WJLA.com

http://spotcrime.com/dc/washington/columbia+heights

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

My advice, ignore the anti-gentrification people who try to scare away folks by saying it's dangerous.

Yes, instead believe the pro-gentrification people that haven't lived here very long and don't read the newspaper or watch the news. Many of them also don't live in the neighborhoods that they are commenting on so how in the hell would they know. To the OP, the housing cost in many DC neighborhoods is inflated. High cost housing here does not necessarily mean a safe area. Don't drink the kool-aid, research the crime stats for yourself. You're going to find out that many people new to the city are paying lots of money to live in what to many people are marginal neighborhoods at best. [/quote]

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2014 at 06:25 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 AM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
it is over 10 years out of date,

Ten years huh?? Looks pretty current to me.

Guardian Angels patrol 14th Street Corridor after attack | WJLA.com

Columbia Heights IHOP shooting victim, Dante Thomas, speaks out on crime | WJLA.com

Columbia Heights: Adult male stabbed | WJLA.com

Antonio Jerome Williams killed in Columbia Heights shooting | WJLA.com

Luis Aliva Melendez shot, killed in Columbia Heights | WJLA.com

http://spotcrime.com/dc/washington/columbia+heights

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

My advice, ignore the anti-gentrification people who try to scare away folks by saying it's dangerous.

Yes, instead believe the pro-gentrification people that haven't lived here very long and don't read the newspaper or watch the news. Many of them also don't live in the neighborhoods that they are commenting on so how in the hell would they know. To the OP, the housing cost in many DC neighborhoods is inflated. High cost housing here does not necessarily mean a safe area. Don't drink the kool-aid, research the crime stats for yourself. You're going to find out that many people new to the city are paying lots of money to live in what to many people are marginal neighborhoods at best.
[/quote]

I think you could play this game anywhere. And I'm definitely NOT saying CH is as safe a Georgetown.

Elderly Georgetown man fatally stabbed; son suspected - The Washington Post

Driver Accused of Stabbing 2 People in Georgetown | NBC4 Washington

Juvenile Stabbed in Georgetown: PD | NBC4 Washington

Man arrested in Georgetown stabbing - WCBD-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Charleston, SC

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
I've had tons of friends who have lived in Columbia Heights over the years and none of them have been unaware of the crime that happens there. But also none of them have ever been victims of crime. The crime stats and the headlines don't tell you how much foot traffic and how many people there are in the neighborhood. Once you take that into account the risk to any individual is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: