Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 PM

419 posts, read 2,019,009 times

Advertisements

Every time I visit the museums on the National Mall I am shocked. I understand Washington DC is an African American dominated City but the people in the museums (WHICH ARE FREE!) are 97% White or Asian. I find this discouraging and puzzling. Is there an historical perspective or a form of racism in that part of town? Any old Washington experts want to make an effort at explaining this.

(Please do not tell me the Mall Area is full of ethnic diversity or call me a troll or racist, this is a sincere Washington based question)

Last edited by questioner2; 12-18-2007 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 12:11 PM

109 posts, read 469,653 times
First of all, we must be walking around a different Mall, because I do not see 97% white and Asian. I do agree that the majority of the people walking around are non-African American. Washington is somewhere around 67% or 2/3 African American. The museums are in no way a representation of the city as a whole. It is a tourist attraction. The North West quadrant of the city is predominately white, but the NE, SE, and SW are not. For some diversity, venture to other parts of the city outside of the Mall. Hope that helps.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 21,484 times
Default Even those who live here have no clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Every time I visit the museums on the National Mall I am shocked. I understand Washington DC is an African American dominated City but the people in the museums (WHICH ARE FREE!) are 97% White or Asian. I find this discouraging and puzzling. Is there an historical perspective or a form of racism in that part of town? Any old Washington experts want to make an effort at explaining this.

(Please do not tell me the Mall Area is full of ethnic diversity or call me a troll or racist, this is a sincere Washington based question)

To answer you query you must understand the demographics of DC. Yes, the majority of DC is African American. However, you must know that DC is only a small geographic area with about 600,000 people. The DC metro area has close to 8 million people which live in the suburbs and are people from all over the USA and the world. So, when you say 65% African american you are looking at 65% of the 600,000 and not the 8 million. Quite a difference.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadan15 View Post
To answer you query you must understand the demographics of DC. Yes, the majority of DC is African American. However, you must know that DC is only a small geographic area with about 600,000 people. The DC metro area has close to 8 million people which live in the suburbs and are people from all over the USA and the world. So, when you say 65% African american you are looking at 65% of the 600,000 and not the 8 million. Quite a difference.

But 30% of the Washington Metro area is still African American/Hispanic, they are vastly under represented in the Mall area.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:00 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,661 times
uh... cause it's filled with bused in tourists???? HELLO??????

kind of pointless to use the mall as a demographic litmus for the DC area, people people go spend sometime in the neighborhoods and get and idea of what the REAL city is like.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Locals of every sort are under-represented on the Mall. Just as New Yorkers of every sort are under-represented on tours of the Statue of Liberty...

Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,722 times
African Americans don't go to museums and related stuff......Personally, I have only been to a museum once in the last seven yrs. And that was in FL @ UF.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 293,186 times
Thumbs up A rose by any other name ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Every time I visit the museums on the National Mall I am shocked. I understand Washington DC is an African American dominated City but the people in the museums (WHICH ARE FREE!) are 97% White or Asian. I find this discouraging and puzzling ...
Essentially jnestorr hit the nail on the head. Negroes may simply have different interests and goals compared to the minorities that you so assiduously have labeled as "White" and "Asian." It is simply a matter of personal preferences and choices with respect to how one allocates one's resources (in this context, time and cerebral affections). No big deal - we each have our own "commodity bundles" and act accordingly.

So why is this "discouraging," as you put it? What limit does this place on your goals and agenda? Apparently something is being hampered by these choices made by others - why does this concern you to the point of being "discouraged"? Very interesting ...

Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Default What!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
African Americans don't go to museums and related stuff......Personally, I have only been to a museum once in the last seven yrs. And that was in FL @ UF.
There is nothing Euro-centric about the Museums on the Mall and there should be no reason why people from all races, religions and creeds should not participate in this free attraction.

So the Mall is for Tourists. The South is full of potential tourists who are Hispanic or African American. Washington DC is not like Yellowstone National Park in the middle of Wyoming.

??

Old 12-18-2007, 02:49 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Why is it "discouraging"? I don't see how more varied pigmentation among the visitors would make it any better or worse. The Mall is a nice area, regardless of who comes to visit it.

It's like others have said. You have quite a few things at work. It's a tourist area, so you're not going to see so many locals there. Also, Northwest DC is not predominantly black, and as has been mentioned, when you take into account the entire DC metro area, the minority community is not as large as an outsider might think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: