Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times

Advertisements

I was driving up 20th street this morning around 8:30 and some lady decides to park on the side of the street where the signs say "No Parking Between 7:30-10:00 AM" and she was completely oblivious to the fact that cars were piling up behind her and had to go around her. Hey lady! Hello??! Ever hear of rush hour??!! You see any other people parking here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:15 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
I drive down S Capitol Street every single day and every single there is a car illegally parked, causing a traffic jam. One of these days, I'm gonna side swipe it.

Seems DDOT is only worried about parking downtown. Guess EOTR doesn't matter to them.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:22 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
My bus route is disrupted every single morning by double parking on I Street. It's not unusual for it to be choked down to 1 lane. There's one driver who has unilaterally changed his route to go around it. I love catching his bus. Otherwise it's faster to get off and walk the last 5 blocks.

We have people illegally parked in my neighborhood all weekend to the point I just assume that my car is going to be parked in or I won't be able to get a spot if I move it. That's more of a church parking issue though - the city has taken the stance that only God can ticket church commuters.

My favorite sign-reading failure, although it is just as much a signage failure, is the people who don't know 17th street is 1 way heading downtown between Mass & I until 9:30. You always get that stray car turning off K street that runs into 4 lanes of cars bearing down on them laying on their horns.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I was driving up 20th street this morning around 8:30 and some lady decides to park on the side of the street where the signs say "No Parking Between 7:30-10:00 AM" and she was completely oblivious to the fact that cars were piling up behind her and had to go around her. Hey lady! Hello??! Ever hear of rush hour??!! You see any other people parking here??
OMFG, I hate EVERYONE who does not merge on that new 395 north construction work in Arlington. Every freaking morning, I yell, "it's MERGE! Drive up, then MERGE!". Nope. they just stand there until the road is empty in DC traffic. They have nothing in their brain, or they have too much in their brain and forgot how to drive, or forgot about the law.

You DO NOT need to stop, when there is a dedicated lane for you to drive up, ever so increasing your speed, then using your turn signal to let the car behind you that you will be MERGING into the lane.

Here is a picture. http://seniordriving.aaa.com/widgets...way-merge1.jpg

For heavens, PLEASE, do not stop, and wait for the traffic to "clear", before you take off, because that basically backs up the traffic forever. And you will earn that horrible Karma of always waiting in line for things for the rest of your life for making people wait for you to just drive into the merge lane, signaling, pushing on your accelerator on your well over capable car and MERGING into the traffic.

PLEASE! For God sakes, I wait there for 20 minutes sometimes, because some Hipster in Prius wants to wait until the traffic clears. Listen. Traffic doesn't clear in DC. It's the most congested city in US. Just f-ing go, you bootch.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
So annoying! I commute on Colesville Road, which is a reverse commute, so the reversible lanes don't favor me. One time somebody decided 6PM was the time to unload his car on the street! Traffic is already a mess trying to get into downtown with only two lanes, but further exasperated when it's choked down to a single lane. They clearly saw what was going on when they were doing it, but they continued to unpack anyway, as if nothing was going on.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 AM

490 posts, read 649,767 times
Yield signs here seem to serve no purpose, people just blow right through them. Merging is another issue all in itself...

Old 08-01-2014, 01:08 PM

31 posts, read 40,488 times
Noticed you mentioned yield signs, I have almost been hit once a week bc people can't read the sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC