Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:00 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
When I was in college, I was definitely in the nerd crowd (engineering). The flip side is that today all the nerds make twice what those who called them nerd make, are married to the hot chicks, and rule the world. The "cool guys" from those days sell cars.
I bet there are a lot of guys in smaller towns who have service workers (like HVAC repair guys or custodians) who have to come by their nice homes or offices and they knew them in high school when they were football heroes/ bullies but now they are the ones on their knees working hard in the "nerd" or "geeks" swank home or place of business.

Must be a wonderful feeling for the former "nerds" when this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
A lot of "Biff Tannens" out there

Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM

69 posts, read 113,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There are thousands upon thousands of Ivy League grads in metro DC. They all have alumni clubs and I've seen several DC facilities for a number of their schools. I've worked with quite a few, too, so my anecdotal experience negates yours, and then some. You probably know a number here, just don't know where they went to school.

DC's part of the Northeast corridor so it's really only a few hours away and, being the nation's capital, is a logical destination for their grads looking for interesting jobs and strong networks.
Everything your saying is true, not arguing about the a high number of ivy leagers here. But the main comment was that there are more in DC then in other states. Which i really don't think can be true .

Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times
I found something:

Here's Where Ivy League Students Go When They Graduate [Presentation] - Business Insider

http://static3.businessinsider.com/i...0002-1200/.jpg

Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Raise your hand if you actually give a crap about where someone went to college? If that really matters to you, then i'd surmise that it is you who is the douchebag. Your self-aggrandizement is just that.....self-aggrandizement. Everyone else knows that it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Especially in DC and in other areas where college graduates are a dime a dozen.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:45 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I bet there are a lot of guys in smaller towns who have service workers (like HVAC repair guys or custodians) who have to come by their nice homes or offices and they knew them in high school when they were football heroes/ bullies but now they are the ones on their knees working hard in the "nerd" or "geeks" swank home or place of business.

Must be a wonderful feeling for the former "nerds" when this happens.
You know, that has actually happened to me. It was really awkward. I am no ivy league by any stretch but some blokes i knew in college just didn't really amount to anything and keep at random jobs. One day he was working for the company that does my lawn. I came out and saw him. It felt really strange. I had no idea what to say so I had to make it quick and get in my car....

Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Do mature adults actually refer to other adults as "nerds?" I thought that kind of nonsense and childish name calling ended after leaving high school. I find it amusing that usually the people who go around calling others nerds are those who peaked in high school, while the "nerds" often go on to pursue a lifetime of learning, setting and reaching personal and professional goals, and pursuing other interesting endeavors.
Listen, I find RCLMA to be a walking contradiction but still, you are being a bit too defensive which btw is often the stance of a DCite when others speak of their city. And in my experience, I find the "nerds" never leave college. Many that I know outiside of the DMV area are always in some course trying to fulfil some career goal. I suppose that makes them happy but there is more to life than the constant spinning of one's wheels in pursuit of that "higher learning". In DC you find a nice education to higher than average success ratio. But in other places, there are PLENTY of people just spinning their wheels and going nowhere chasing higher learning even after 65 masters....

But we are talking about DC's Ivy League so...

Old 08-01-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Raise your hand if you actually give a crap about where someone went to college? If that really matters to you, then i'd surmise that it is you who is the douchebag. Your self-aggrandizement is just that.....self-aggrandizement. Everyone else knows that it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Especially in DC and in other areas where college graduates are a dime a dozen.
It matters what you learn in college. People who go to good colleges usually learn more than those who go the crappy colleges.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It matters what you learn in college. People who go to good colleges usually learn more than those who go the crappy colleges.
DCforever, this is not a challeng but I am wondering. Does the learning from these good colleges translate into positive social balances and the ability to lead, manage, and understand people on an emotional level?

And for other posters, does making that good money coming out of a good college equate to the above in terms of good management learned beyond the "entry level technical skills" of college aptitude?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
DCforever, this is not a challeng but I am wondering. Does the learning from these good colleges translate into positive social balances and the ability to lead, manage, and understand people on an emotional level?

And for other posters, does making that good money coming out of a good college equate to the above in terms of good management learned beyond the "entry level technical skills" of college aptitude?
Schools don't teach leadership or management. That's an on-the-job training program. Interestingly, most professional service organization don't really need much management. That's where you find a lot of people from top schools because the money is good.

It takes a lot more skill to manage a group of 30 high school dropouts than a group of 30 top school MBAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC