U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:00 PM

8 posts, read 33,347 times

Advertisements

My husband's job may be relocating to DC area but we are hoping to find a home in a small town near DC that would be a reasonable commute (30 minute drive). Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 09:00 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,446,758 times
Unfortunately, there aren't really any small towns in the traditional sense with the strong sense of community, lifetimes residents, traditional downtowns and safe streets, anywhere within a 30 minute commute from DC. There are areas like Takoma Park, Kensington, Falls Church and Hyattsville that exhibit some of the characteristics, but these areas carry the feeling more of urban neighborhoods rather than small towns.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:00 PM

101 posts, read 299,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathTeacher View Post
My husband's job may be relocating to DC area but we are hoping to find a home in a small town near DC that would be a reasonable commute (30 minute drive). Any suggestions?
A 30 minute commute to DC? : I do not think so. Tokoma Park is close to DC but it does not have that small town environment. Good Luck..

Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 14,496 times
I have been offered a job at Bolling AFB, what is a good area to live that is safe?

Old 11-08-2006, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 27,843 times
Well I currently reside in germantown, md. Morning traffic is about 45mns to dc, you not really gonna find a town that has the small town feel and that's 30mns away from DC. Oh yeah prepare yourself for high taxes, Montgomery county is the most expensive county in Maryland, dont go to Prince George, lol.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:50 AM

11 posts, read 60,764 times
Traffic is so bad during rush hour you can't commute from anywhere is 30 mins.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:00 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,720 times
I know the Bolling area pretty well, and about the only way you're going to be 30 minutes away is by going to Prince George's County -- which I do NOT recommend -- or by getting a place in town -- which I DO recommend. But there is no small town anywhere nearby. Sorry for the dreary news.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Zee

2 posts, read 18,025 times
I relocated from DC to the Southern Maryland a couple of years ago. There are small towns and rural areas there but the commute is more than 30 mins. you are looking at least 45 mins to an hour durning non rush hour. But I would not trade it for the world.

If the drive is to much you can take the commuter bus or the Metro (subway) is just in PG County.

[moderator cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-30-2006 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for prospects.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 20,006 times
Default Cheverly, Maryland

I am going to let you in on a little secret. Cheverly, Maryland is located less than 1 mile from the DC line, it has its own police force and Metro stop, beautiful tree lined streets, very charming older (1920+) style homes that include Cape Cods, Bungalows, Colonials, Spanish Mediterranean (my home style), etc. The homes in Cheverly are surprisingly affordable - it truly is a hidden gem. I moved here from Boston 4 years ago with my wife and kids and we love it! Our neighbors are very friendly, the crime is very low (due to dilligent Cheverly Police patrols), and we commute (drive) to work in about 30 minutes with rush hour traffic. Sometimes we take the Cheverly Metro, which takes about the same time. I would recommend that anyone relocating to the DC area check out Cheverly. Check out the town's website to learn more about this wonderful community:
http://www.cheverly-md.gov/Pages/Che..._Council/index

Old 12-19-2006, 08:59 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,393,573 times
Just wanted to second Cheverly, it is a lovely neighborhood and has very charming older homes on nice tree lined streets, you wouldn't believe you are so close to DC there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC