Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
That's your opinion. I find Manhattan and Chicago much more confusing to drive in than DC. Walking or riding the bus is a different matter.
How often do you drive in Manhattan? I drive in Manhattan at least twice per week.

Manhattan is not confusing. The island is only two miles wide and there aren't many streets cutting across each other (the notable exception is Broadway, which is still pretty much a North to South thoroughfare). And unlike DC, the numbers don't start over once you cross a certain street (i.e., North Capitol). If you're at 23rd Street, you just keep going up until you hit 89th Street or whatever. There are no quadrants to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How often do you drive in Manhattan? I drive in Manhattan at least twice per week.

Manhattan is not confusing. The island is only two miles wide and there aren't many streets cutting across each other (the notable exception is Broadway, which is still pretty much a North to South thoroughfare). And unlike DC, the numbers don't start over once you cross a certain street (i.e., North Capitol). If you're at 23rd Street, you just keep going up until you hit 89th Street or whatever. There are no quadrants to worry about.
Other people have different opinions than you. No need to argue. I love NYC, I'm not knocking it.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Another thing that makes DC confusing is that there's no skyline to use as a point of reference. You can really only see the Monument from a few points in the city. If you're in Chicago, or some other city with a prominent skyline, you can often tell which direction you're headed by the skyline.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
That's your opinion. I find Manhattan and Chicago much more confusing to drive in than DC. Walking or riding the bus is a different matter.
I don't think Manhattan is confusing to drive because of the streets. The issue there is that it has a very high density of automobiles and people and Manhattan drivers cut you off because that is normal there.

If you can drive the surface streets of Manhattan, then driving anywhere else in America is a piece of cake.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
one difference I found with Pittsburgh is how they make the roads pretty stupid proof. they have signs that say "ok folks, these lanes are straight, this lane is right only" al over the city(but not all). when it comes to the circles, I just aim straightish to keep on the same road.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
DC is a piece of cake once you understsand the system. Numbered streets run north and south. Lettered streets run east and west. When the lettered streets run out (I believe W St. is the last) then begin the two syllable named streets, then the three syllable named streets. The diagonal streets and avenues can be disorienting though. And to this day I tend to avoid the traffic circles if possible. Especially Dupont, Washington, and Thomas.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Another thing that makes DC confusing is that there's no skyline to use as a point of reference. You can really only see the Monument from a few points in the city. If you're in Chicago, or some other city with a prominent skyline, you can often tell which direction you're headed by the skyline.
Learning the streets of DC is an art, that is for sure

Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
DC is a piece of cake once you understsand the system. Numbered streets run north and south. Lettered streets run east and west. When the lettered streets run out (I believe W St. is the last) then begin the two syllable named streets, then the three syllable named streets. The diagonal streets and avenues can be disorienting though. And to this day I tend to avoid the traffic circles if possible. Especially Dupont, Washington, and Thomas.
The biggest complication to driving DC is that few streets go through. In many cities you can get on "Anystreet" and just follow it to the numerical address you are seeking. Avenues add an additional complexity because they run at angles and are the major through ways.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:24 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The biggest complication to driving DC is that few streets go through. In many cities you can get on "Anystreet" and just follow it to the numerical address you are seeking. Avenues add an additional complexity because they run at angles and are the major through ways.
Yes, you do need a little knowledge to navigate this town. I find Manhattan much easier. Pretty much a straight grid. Boston is much tougher. Philly is pretty easy.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I think slowly that will get better though at the L'enfant city plan slowly gets revived
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC