U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:26 PM

10,136 posts, read 10,409,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It just seems like a stupid thing to do a story on. There are a lot of things politicians do that normal people would be appalled by that are several orders of magnitude worse than unpaid parking tickets.

I'm all about exposing corruption and malfeasance, but this is seriously small potatoes compared to the bigger issues the press needs to devote energy to.

I mean, you tell me what's worse. A councilmember with $600 in unpaid parking tickets. Or a councilmember working at a lobbying firm and not being required to reveal anything about his or her clientele.
If this was the first time he did something, I can understand your point, but for this to still be going on and he's still is an elected official, is disturbing to me. One thing that is interesting is corruption does not always start with the "big" potatoes so to speak and also there have been other members on the council who have shown corrupt behavior no matter how big or small. If anything this points to a culture that has developed while he has been in the city. I think there are other things to focus on, but I do not agree that this is a small deal. It makes you wonder when these politicians will be held accountable? Where do you draw the line personally? What else do you need him to do, to convince you that he's corrupt? To me I don't care what his race is, I just see a very disturbing pattern that people don't seem to care about or only care about because of race.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 2,779,474 times
Quote:
Were all mayors bad between 1970 and 1990? With the notable exception of Los Angeles, nearly all cities lost population during that time. There's only so much a mayor can do about powerful drug cartels in Latin America sending drugs into the country.
Fair points. It was a tough period for just about all American big cities. But I think many of the mayors of this period were either corrupt or inept. They ran their cities like old time political patronage machines without regard for how they were going to pay the bills.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM

26,176 posts, read 22,184,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Where do you draw the line personally?
Bribery, obstruction of justice, misuse of campaign funds, embezzlement, mafia-style executions, obvious conflicts of interest.

All politicians are crooked. You might as well not ever vote again if you're looking for one who's not. Comes with the territory.

But there's a difference between snorting cocaine and diverting public funds to pay for Audis and motorcycles. At least in my book. I mean, a lot of normal people do coke (especially in the 70s) and cheat on their wives. Most don't embezzle money.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:48 PM

8,016 posts, read 8,344,905 times
Barry is no joke and a lot of self-righteous white people get offended by the sight of a strong black man in america. That's it, end of discussion.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 AM

5,077 posts, read 11,848,995 times
Quote:
It just seems like a stupid thing to do a story on. There are a lot of things politicians do that normal people would be appalled by that are several orders of magnitude worse than unpaid parking tickets.

I'm all about exposing corruption and malfeasance, but this is seriously small potatoes compared to the bigger issues the press needs to devote energy to.

I mean, you tell me what's worse. A councilmember with $600 in unpaid parking tickets. Or a councilmember working at a lobbying firm and not being required to reveal anything about his or her clientele.
This is a worthy story because though it seems like nothing to some person like Marion Barry, the average Joe would get their car booted, towed and eventually auctioned off if we didn't pay. That's the bottom line.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 AM

4,067 posts, read 3,814,341 times
Those tickets are not mines.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM

9,985 posts, read 15,642,961 times
I cannot believe there is even debate on this.

Marion Barry?

Come on.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
This is a worthy story because though it seems like nothing to some person like Marion Barry, the average Joe would get their car booted, towed and eventually auctioned off if we didn't pay. That's the bottom line.
It's a stupid story. Do you really think parking enforcement (or lack thereof) is the only way politicians are treated differently from "the Average Joe"? Tom Daschle owed six figures in back taxes to the IRS, a fact that probably would have remained concealed forever had it not been for his nomination to a cabinet position. Politicians are doing stuff like that all the time. So I'm not sure why unpaid parking tickets are really newsworthy.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM

It's funny how the DC press likes to talk about Marion Barry so much. That's about the most "controversial" thing to talk about in DC. Makes for much more scintillating conversation than farm subsidies, I suppose.

In Philly, the press likes to cover the mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQVikl_Q2qU

Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 PM

9,985 posts, read 15,642,961 times
Quote:
It's funny how the DC press likes to talk about Marion Barry so much. That's about the most "controversial" thing to talk about in DC. Makes for much more scintillating conversation than farm subsidies, I suppose.

In Philly, the press likes to cover the mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQVikl_Q2qU
DC is not a State. No Senators, Congressmen, or a Governor. Therefore it has no power. Furthermore, it has only had a popularly elected mayor since 1975. That makes it different from pretty much everywhere. The closest analogy I ever found was West Berlin back in the day.

Your casual dismissal of Barry tells me you do not know much about the man. He is not just your average corrupt official. His entire career and persona say something very ignoble about America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC