Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
That looks horrible. Its a dead give away you live in DC.

A Field Guide to D.C. Douchebags | Complex
LOL. I can't say I've seen any of these stereotypes. The only one that rings remotely true is the crossfit guy jogging all across the city half naked. I used to always see that thinking to myself "Is that really necessary?" Then again, I'm a heterosexual male, so I may not appreciate that as much as some other people.

On an average day in DC, I would usually see the following:

-Black kid (or older man) with dreds covered by a stocking cap wearing a Helly Hansen jacket.

-Girl walking to metro wearing khaki shirt and blue or white shirt. Or black skirt with blue or white shirt.

-Tons of guys walking around downtown with black slacks/blue shirt, khakis/blue shirt or khakis/white shirt combination. Usually with white iPhone headphones dangling from ears.

-Black admin worker/secretary/government worker on Metro dressed in business casual (with running shoes). ID badge around neck.

-More conservatively dressed people on the Hill.

-More hipster elements along U Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Based on those stats, it looks like Virginia is clearly 'South', which adds a whole other element to it. Meaning, people just going back and forth from Arlington to DC, could really rack up that South stat.
Do your math that is 60% northern vs 40% southern. As it was stated correctly much of that south is from NoVa.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
But Banyan Yankee... don't leave me hanging buddy. What groups of whites make up a bus driver or firefighter? I doesn't add up. Is it the job itself or the people that work these jobs that changes the texture of a culture? Are these people that work the above jobs from different white backgrounds? Do they look a certain way? Why can't an IT guy have the same character traits as a bus driver or sheetworker? Couldn't have all the above decided to jump ship and then work for the government? Wouldn't that still make them working class? Wouldn't then they all be here but just not working those jobs? Why are those jobs so important to the texture of the culture?

Bajan, it sounds like made up stories to me.
I have no idea what you mean. LOL.

As a general matter, yes, you can tell how educated someone is by the way they speak (irrespective of race). Can you not tell the difference between Dayquan Jenkins who works at the Bo'Jangles in Union Station and Carlton Banks?

The Best of Carlton Banks - YouTube

Old 08-18-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Do your math that is 60% northern vs 40% southern. As it was stated correctly much of that south is from NoVa.
I guess...if you want to call any place that's not in the South (including California, Oregon, Colorado, etc.) "northern."

Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
yep, planning on moving out. I fail to see how this place is right for me anymore.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:18 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess...if you want to call any place that's not in the South (including California, Oregon, Colorado, etc.) "northern."
Culturally it is. Maybe you don't get this but let me lay out the difference between culturally northern and southern whites.

DC is strictly culturally northern in terms of the white population. The natives don't quite understand this because well, they barely understand the transplants.

Culturally Northern
-Reserved About Their Religion, or Openly Agnostic/Athiest. Strong supporters of seperation of church and state
-Higher Education is a major cultural driver, if not the single largest cultural driver.
-Music Preference: Rock, Jazz, Classical, or Electronic...dislikes country almost uniformly.
-Higher Support of LGBT rights.
-High support of womens rights, reproductive rights
-Very future oriented and career centered (even their kids, the center is around future education and careers)
-Often not gun owners, support firearms restrictions
-Strong supporters of science education
-Drinks: Craft beers, Foreign beers, wine
-Considered rude, distrusts people who are too friendly
-often classist

Culturally Southern
-Very openly religious, often theocratic and evangelical. Often hostile to athiests and agnostics.
-Church is often the center of society and the cultural driver.
-Music preference: country
-Often outright opposed to women's rights and lgbt rights. Anti-abortion
-Drinks: Domestic Beer
-Often oppose teaching of evolution.
-Very present oriented and family centered.
-Gun rights supporters.
-considered friendly
-often bigoted towards lgbt people, sexist.

Go one by one down the checklist, DC transplants are not just culturally northern, it's almost stereotypically so, it basically is concentrated cultural northern. You will encounter hostility if you are openly religious with DC whites. The only place where there are more atheists is SF.

I had said this often, and well...it's honest, the natives and blacks in DC do not know anything about the culture of the transplants other than it's alien. The reason it's alien is because it's culturally northern as it gets. The reason why culturally northern whites like myself say it's not culturally southern, is we do not just dislike things which are culturally southern, we are often hostile to it.

Basically DC's transplants are not just culturally northern, they are a pretty extreme version of it. Because it is stripped of working class ethnic enclaves, and almost purely the upper middle class educated group.

I should note, the cultural north and the cultural south are not strictly by boundaries. The cultural north is the northeast, the west coast, and the great lakes state, the cultural south is the south and some places like the dakotas. The cultural north is more urban, urbanized suburb, and the cultural south is more exurban and rural.

It should be noted, the large support of lgbt rights by the cities white population makes it abundantly clear how culturally northern they are, as is the fact they are one of the least religious white urban populations in the country. Last I checked there is no drawl either. I don't think you understand what is the difference between culturally northern, and culturally southern. In fact if you pulled the white population and plunked in Boston or Seattle, it would feel at home. I would not say the same for ANY southern city, the ones who left those places and came to dc left for a reason. To get away from the south.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:23 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
nothing wrong with rocking some salmon pants like so in the Summer time. step your fashion game up.
He certainly is pretty, when he's out dating I wonder which one is actually the girl, lol

Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In the District, there are more transplants from the North than the South. But in every metro area county (including MoCO), there are decidely more transplants from the South than North. In DC proper, there are far more migrants from the South than the Midwest and Northeast. And on the metro level, there are more migrants from the South than the Northeast and Midwest combined. The exact breakdown of the migration is as follows:

38.1% from the South
23.0% from the Northeast
16.3% from the West
11.4% from Maryland (outside the DC metro)
11.3% from the Midwest
Midwestern people tend to be much closer to southern people culturally than any of those other areas as well.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Culturally it is. Maybe you don't get this but let me lay out the difference between culturally northern and southern whites.

DC is strictly culturally northern in terms of the white population. The natives don't quite understand this because well, they barely understand the transplants.

Culturally Northern
-Reserved About Their Religion, or Openly Agnostic/Athiest. Strong supporters of seperation of church and state
-Higher Education is a major cultural driver, if not the single largest cultural driver.
-Music Preference: Rock, Jazz, Classical, or Electronic...dislikes country almost uniformly.
-Very future oriented and career centered (even their kids, the center is around future education and careers)
-often classist

Culturally Southern
-Very openly religious, often theocratic and evangelical. Often hostile to athiests and agnostics.
-Gun rights supporters.
-considered friendly

Go one by one down the checklist, DC transplants are not just culturally northern, it's almost stereotypically so, it basically is concentrated cultural northern. You will encounter hostility if you are openly religious with DC whites. The only place where there are more atheists is SF.

I had said this often, and well...it's honest, the natives and blacks in DC do not know anything about the culture of the transplants other than it's alien. The reason it's alien is because it's culturally northern as it gets. The reason why culturally northern whites like myself say it's not culturally southern, is we do not just dislike things which are culturally southern, we are often hostile to it.

Basically DC's transplants are not just culturally northern, they are a pretty extreme version of it. Because it is stripped of working class ethnic enclaves, and almost purely the upper middle class educated group.

I should note, the cultural north and the cultural south are not strictly by boundaries. The cultural north is the northeast, the west coast, and the great lakes state, the cultural south is the south and some places like the dakotas. The cultural north is more urban, urbanized suburb, and the cultural south is more exurban and rural.

It should be noted, the large support of lgbt rights by the cities white population makes it abundantly clear how culturally northern they are, as is the fact they are one of the least religious white urban populations in the country. Last I checked there is no drawl either. I don't think you understand what is the difference between culturally northern, and culturally southern. In fact if you pulled the white population and plunked in Boston or Seattle, it would feel at home. I would not say the same for ANY southern city, the ones who left those places and came to dc left for a reason. To get away from the south.
So let me get this straight. If someone is from the South, but they are...

Educated
Liberal
Supportive of LGBT rights
Apathetic towards religion

...they are culturally northern?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 AM

494 posts, read 849,401 times
Quote:

Culturally Northern
-often classist

Culturally Southern
-Gun rights supporters.
-considered friendly

There is no such thing as culturally Northern and Southern. It is Rural vs Urban. Southern cities have all what you described as "northern" and rural Oregon is very, very conservative, what you would call "southern". Electoral maps bear this out if you look on a county by county basis. The states that are blue are the ones that have more urban and suburban people than rural ones. The ones that are red do not. This is why Virginia is solidly blue, with NC and Georgia likely to flip in the next 1-2 election cycles.
Your characterization depends on outdated stereotypes about the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC