Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times

Advertisements

Here's what $100 is worth in each state. DC takes the top spot for most expensive. For comparison, Hawaii, which has always been known to be VERY expensive to live, comes in under DC at $85.32!

From most expensive to least expensive (Entire state is taken into account, NOT metro areas, except DC of course):

DC: $84.60
MD: $89.85
VA: $96.90

The Real Value of $100 in Each State | Tax Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
It doesn't take a genius to realize that a city like DC is going to tend to be more expensive than an entire state.
Of course DC is still one of the most expensive cities, behind but up there with New York City and San Francisco. But that's already commonly known. This study gives us no illuminating information as it pertains to DC because DC is an orange in a sea of 50 apples in this study.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:00 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
I think DC will be more expensive, on average, than SF within the next 5 years because of all the gentrification and other changes that are going on here. I don't think it will surpass NYC within the next 5 years but I wouldn't be surprised if it did within the next 10 years.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
It doesn't take a genius to realize that a city like DC is going to tend to be more expensive than an entire state.
Of course DC is still one of the most expensive cities, behind but up there with New York City and San Francisco. But that's already commonly known. This study gives us no illuminating information as it pertains to DC because DC is an orange in a sea of 50 apples in this study.
It actually is illuminating. Hawaii is consistently ranked one of the top 5 most expensive areas in the nation. Alaska also is for that matter.

The fact that DC is more expensive is actually pretty notable.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
It actually is illuminating. Hawaii is consistently ranked one of the top 5 most expensive areas in the nation. Alaska also is for that matter.

Not surprising to me at all and completely what I would have guessed, so tells me nothing new. Alaska and Hawaii include lots of very small, poor towns that are of course going to be much cheaper than a major city. So while Honolulu is more expensive than DC according to cost-of-living calculators I've seen, the state as a whole is still cheaper than DC.

Oahu and Maui might be expensive but on the island of Molokai, for example, you can buy a cheap house.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:50 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
From my understanding, the Washington DC area is overall the 3rd most expensive in the United States after New York City and San Francisco. I think it's tied with Los Angeles.

But DC is nowhere near as expensive as a city like London.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:27 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Unless DC attracts more for-profit corporations, financial firms, top tier management consultant firms, etc. who want to move their headquarters to DC or just add lots of workspace and a generous workforce DC will never be as expensive as London, NYC, Hong Hong, Tokyo, etc. DC is full of government employees, contractors, and consultants who pull in generous wages (let's call it $70,000-$120,000) for average annual compensation purposes. At these wages who can afford multi-million dollar properties and Manhattan rents? As it is DC is extremely expensive and to live in this city at the current average wages means you will definitely pay out more than 30% of your income on living expenses or you'll have to live in less desirable areas of DC or move out to the burbs to make it work. I'm not saying their aren't outliers here in DC who make a ton of money and could afford to live in Manhattan, London, etc. because their are but it's usually people at the top of their organizations, own their own successful companies and are "in" with the right people in the area, are wealthy bureaucrats, etc.

Your extremely expensive cities like London, NYC, and Hong Kong have a huge amount of financial firms, for-profit multinationals, and a huge proportion of successful businesspeople and entrepreneurs (tech and non-tech). You don't have that in a city like DC. I would consider DC to be middle-upper class based on average wages. If we are able to attract more for-profit multinationals and start-ups I think we can get to the London, NYC, and Hong Kong levels of high rents in the distant future.

Last edited by RLCMA; 08-20-2014 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Missed a word

Old 08-20-2014, 02:00 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
From my understanding, the Washington DC area is overall the 3rd most expensive in the United States after New York City and San Francisco. I think it's tied with Los Angeles.

But DC is nowhere near as expensive as a city like London.
DC is definitely more expensive than LA. Significant difference in housing and food costs.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 PM

158 posts, read 247,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

Anytime an entirely urban 66 Square Mile stretch of CITY is compared with an ENTIRE STATE, the statistics are worthless. DC will ALWAYS be at the top or bottom of every list that compares it to states.

Try comparing NYC to DC and not NY to DC and then get back to me.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM

70 posts, read 110,325 times
Yes it is and it's TOTALLY NOT worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: