Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,856 times

Advertisements

Every once in a while you'll have some random posts and responses where users complain that people in the region are cold, snobby, and unfriendly. I don't really understand where those people are coming from. I've never had a bad experience where someone was rude to me, but in general I find that people want to be themselves when they're out doing something or they'll say hi to you if look in their direction or ask them how's it going. Sometimes people will even initiate a quick conversation. It's happened to me in multiple situations: at the store, out exercising, walking around downtown, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:18 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
I tell you what! Coming from Miami, I don't see unfriendliness it all. In fact, I am almost surprised by the amount of doors people open for me. Actually, I was discussing it with someone and we even agreed that the people around here are a bit too nice... Listen, I left my phone on the bus and two days later, I got it back cause someone actually went through the phone and dialed the "work cell" phone number. We met in chrystal city 1 early morning....

But then again, its how I approach people here and me understanding social dynamics. As soon as someone starts acting up, I immediately apply the verbal pressure and they let off a bit. Im the type of person that if I hold the door for you and you pass me by without saying a word, I will actually walk up to you (with a smile) and ask "is there a reason why you didn't say thank you". It confuses people because I am insulting them while smiling with them....

Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Maybe for people who grew up in small places where everybody knows everybody else, the Washington DC area seems intimidating and unfriendly.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maybe for people who grew up in small places where everybody knows everybody else, the Washington DC area seems intimidating and unfriendly.
That is a very interesting point. If this is a transient place as many people say, and with people from different cities, I wonder if small town growing up will lend itself to people thinking DC is so unfriendly. Heck, when I go back to NY I don't feel the unfriendliness.

But I will tell you where I feel that crap- in eastern europe (former soviet republic). Them all black leather jacket wearing folks can be really cold. I walk into to a store and not a person stands up or a single greeting... Now that is cold...

Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
The point of Washington, D.C. is not to be "friendly".

The point of the District is to be "powerful" and "influential".

Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
It all depends on where you're coming from.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The point of Washington, D.C. is not to be "friendly".

The point of the District is to be "powerful" and "influential".
Funny you said that. I was on the metro and asked a random guy to describe washington DC in a few words. He said the same exact- power and influence.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
People from DC are extremely quiet. They barely say a word unless it is necessary, but that doesn't mean people are unfriendly. You have to think before you speak to someone, I guess, or you will just get ignored.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Im the type of person that if I hold the door for you and you pass me by without saying a word, I will actually walk up to you (with a smile) and ask "is there a reason why you didn't say thank you". It confuses people because I am insulting them while smiling with them....
Wow. I hold the door for everyone (men, women, and children) and most often receive a thank you. But I'm not doing it for the thank-you, I'm doing it because it is the right thing to do.

If someone doesn't acknowledge it (for whatever reason - probably due ro rudeness), I would never be equally as rude and call them out on it. I just move on. Life is too short.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,158,739 times
Octa is a young woman with ample bosom, ignore her. No place is rude for someone like that except maybe San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: