Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:52 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You don't stop giving people influenza shots because there is an outbreak of influenza. If carrying a weapon is illegal, when you stop someone with a weapon it can be taken off the street.

We don't require perfection in our laws. Murder remains illegal despite it's occurrence.
Sounds like you advocate Stop & Frisk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 10:19 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Sounds like you advocate Stop & Frisk.
I think police have to have cause, but if the see evidence of a weapon, I'm all for Stop & Frisk.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I think police have to have cause, but if the see evidence of a weapon, I'm all for Stop & Frisk.
And they are doing a stellar job at it, not.

Gun Control advocates would like nobody but the military and law enforcement officials to possess firearms. Both criminals and law abiding citizens would not have them.

Gun Rights advocates would like nobody but military and law enforcement officials plus law abiding citizens to possess firearms. Criminals would not have them.

Neither scenario is plausible or doable.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
And they are doing a stellar job at it, not.

Gun Control advocates would like nobody but the military and law enforcement officials to possess firearms. Both criminals and law abiding citizens would not have them.

Gun Rights advocates would like nobody but military and law enforcement officials plus law abiding citizens to possess firearms. Criminals would not have them.

Neither scenario is plausible or doable.
The British say it's relatively straightforward.

The belief that "criminals" do the murders is to a significant extent an NRA myth. About 1/2 of the murders are acquaintance or family murders.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
The British say it's relatively straightforward.

The belief that "criminals" do the murders is to a significant extent an NRA myth. About 1/2 of the murders are acquaintance or family murders.
Yet the British could never stop the IRA from getting weaponry that most gangbangers could only dream of. The moral of the that is if the criminals really wanted them there, they would get them. And sometimes they still do.

The UK and other European countries have a different culture than us. The average cop in the UK does not carry a firearm after all. Now, I am not knocking that. Just pointing it out. The average citizen of the UK thinks like you (and maybe me): They either do not care for gun ownership or are willing to abide by it none the less. Europe has a very strong culture of concensus. America has a very strong culture of individualism. That is why the Europe-US comparison are useful, but only to a limited extent.

But it is all moot. No gun ban like that in the UK is on the horizon here.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Yet the British could never stop the IRA from getting weaponry that most gangbangers could only dream of. The moral of the that is if the criminals really wanted them there, they would get them. And sometimes they still do.
LOL Obviously London proves you wrong. What makes guns easy to get in the US is the population of "legally owned" guns. Britains lacks that. The guns in Northern Ireland came over the border with the Irish Republic. It's like DC residents getting guns in Virginia.

Quote:
The UK and other European countries have a different culture than us. The average cop in the UK does not carry a firearm after all. Now, I am not knocking that. Just pointing it out. The average citizen of the UK thinks like you (and maybe me): They either do not care for gun ownership or are willing to abide by it none the less. Europe has a very strong culture of consensus. America has a very strong culture of individualism. That is why the Europe-US comparison are useful, but only to a limited extent.
LOL, you should travel more. The British are culturally very similar to us. Some even threaten to secede. The Brits have large populations of people from non-European origin, like we do. Other than murder, their crime rate is even similar to ours.

Quote:
Maybe, but there are technology solutions available to prevent guns from being used by those not authorized to posses them. It certainly isn't unconstitutional to prevent gun sales that are unlawful. That won't solve all the gun death problems in the US, but I'm a 1/2 full sort of a guy.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,475 times
Quote:
If you don't feel like looking around, you can accept my word. .
Accept your word? No, I don't think so... you have proven yourself more than wrong on more than one occasion about this topic. And you had to admit it at least once. You don't research and tend to stretch "stories".

No, cop not fired... I don't believe that....

Old 10-04-2014, 07:21 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,475 times
Quote:

The UK and other European countries have a different culture than us. The average cop in the UK does not carry a firearm after all. Now, I am not knocking that. Just pointing it out. The average citizen of the UK thinks like you (and maybe me): They either do not care for gun ownership or are willing to abide by it none the less. Europe has a very strong culture of concensus. America has a very strong culture of individualism. That is why the Europe-US comparison are useful, but only to a limited extent.

Issue is that they simply moved over to knives, hammers and fists... in the USA you will have more than triple killed these ways vs. getting killed with a rifle, for instance.

London alone had a higher murder rate than Chicago because knives are better killing tools for criminals there.

Sounds like you are trying to explain something to someone who is trying to compare the USA to England... I lived in England, I know you can get handguns... but like I tell everyone, you can't buy bullets (that is the real issue there, not guns).

I just can't wait for the new gun law to pass in DC... lot of disappointed people in this thread, there will be.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Issue is that they simply moved over to knives, hammers and fists... in the USA you will have more than triple killed these ways vs. getting killed with a rifle, for instance.

London alone had a higher murder rate than Chicago because knives are better killing tools for criminals there.

Sounds like you are trying to explain something to someone who is trying to compare the USA to England... I lived in England, I know you can get handguns... but like I tell everyone, you can't buy bullets (that is the real issue there, not guns).

I just can't wait for the new gun law to pass in DC... lot of disappointed people in this thread, there will be.
London does not have a higher murder rate than Chicago. OMG!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
LOL Obviously London proves you wrong. What makes guns easy to get in the US is the population of "legally owned" guns. Britains lacks that. The guns in Northern Ireland came over the border with the Irish Republic. It's like DC residents getting guns in Virginia.

LOL, you should travel more. The British are culturally very similar to us. Some even threaten to secede. The Brits have large populations of people from non-European origin, like we do. Other than murder, their crime rate is even similar to ours.

Maybe, but there are technology solutions available to prevent guns from being used by those not authorized to posses them. It certainly isn't unconstitutional to prevent gun sales that are unlawful. That won't solve all the gun death problems in the US, but I'm a 1/2 full sort of a guy.
Your claim of DC people getting guns from Virginia was already disproved. I let it slide then because I have strived to keep my tone polite- something you are not reciprocating. A person in DC is not allowed to purchase a gun in Virginia or anywhere else.

Guns in Ulster came from a variety of places: Libya, the East Bloc, the USA, and yes sometimes the Irish Republic- a placed that has unarmed cops and tight gun laws.

Once again, most people in the UK either agree with banning most guns or go along with it. That is concensus.

In contrast, a good chunk of America believes not only in the right to own firearms, but also to utilize them outside the home for self-defense. It is also in our Constitution, something that the UK does not have.

The two situations could not be more different.

And I reckon I have traveled plenty. I have lived outside the US and am adept at another language. But I guess you are writing my bio now.

Come on man. Obnoxiousness and falsehoods are not acceptable responses to someone who has been polite with you. Not cool and not a way to win people over to your POV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC