Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:07 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,041 times

Advertisements

I have experienced how much easier things got from moving from Arlington, to DC, and this is exactly what I am talking about. There is also the Fillmore in Silver Spring, and some venues in the Bethesda and Rockville area in terms of music. Living in Virginia is kind of a pain. It should be noted in Maryland there are numerous satilite cities where there is stuff to do on a regular basis. Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Bethesda, Rockville, and College Park notably. It is not just national harbor, again, for those living on the transit corridors of the metro this is well known.. Again, not knowing the extent of the satilite urbanized suburbs in the area, especially Maryland shows a great deal of ignorance of the region as a whole. Believe it or not, National Harbor is probably the least interesting thing in Maryland in metro DC.

Again in Virginia, because of development patterns, the level of things to do drops off quickly as does access to other cities. It should also be noted for many of us in the District and Montgomer/PG county Maryland, Baltimore is within 40 minutes outside of rush hour. It is pretty much an entirely different city right next door. Thus why people take day trips there. So it kind of makes your lack of cities within easy access point a bit moot, as does the satalite urbanized suburb factor. Yeah, this is all less so the case in suburban Virginia.

I should note, NYC is pretty much unique because of it's size and scale, the centralized nature of cities is pretty common in most places, especially for mid-size costal cities like DC (Boston, Portland, Seattle, have many of the same features in terms of being centralized). You are also used to a very car centric lifestyle, that is pretty obvious.

I should note, the reality of Virginia burbs, is it lacks the same type of urban access of other areas of DC metro area. Virginia outside of Arlington and Alexandria is just less dense and has worse access to things. But that is an issue with Virginia, not DC or Maryland. If one wants better access to multiple cities, that is something Maryland does have, even in the burbs.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 10-23-2014 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
^ VA is poppin' tho in certain aspects outside of the Washington
area. It's just a car culture and that's a totally different lifestyle
from Washington DC and all the congestion.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:51 PM

27,534 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Even though it's more suburban, one thing I really like about Northern Virginia is how consistently affluent most of it is.

Less problems to deal with when you live in an upscale area, as long as you can afford it of course.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:18 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I have experienced how much easier things got from moving from Arlington, to DC, and this is exactly what I am talking about. There is also the Fillmore in Silver Spring, and some venues in the Bethesda and Rockville area in terms of music. Living in Virginia is kind of a pain. It should be noted in Maryland there are numerous satilite cities where there is stuff to do on a regular basis. Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Bethesda, Rockville, and College Park notably. It is not just national harbor, again, for those living on the transit corridors of the metro this is well known.. Again, not knowing the extent of the satilite urbanized suburbs in the area, especially Maryland shows a great deal of ignorance of the region as a whole. Believe it or not, National Harbor is probably the least interesting thing in Maryland in metro DC.

Again in Virginia, because of development patterns, the level of things to do drops off quickly as does access to other cities. It should also be noted for many of us in the District and Montgomer/PG county Maryland, Baltimore is within 40 minutes outside of rush hour. It is pretty much an entirely different city right next door. Thus why people take day trips there. So it kind of makes your lack of cities within easy access point a bit moot, as does the satalite urbanized suburb factor. Yeah, this is all less so the case in suburban Virginia.

I should note, NYC is pretty much unique because of it's size and scale, the centralized nature of cities is pretty common in most places, especially for mid-size costal cities like DC (Boston, Portland, Seattle, have many of the same features in terms of being centralized). You are also used to a very car centric lifestyle, that is pretty obvious.

I should note, the reality of Virginia burbs, is it lacks the same type of urban access of other areas of DC metro area. Virginia outside of Arlington and Alexandria is just less dense and has worse access to things. But that is an issue with Virginia, not DC or Maryland. If one wants better access to multiple cities, that is something Maryland does have, even in the burbs.
Wolf Trap, The Barns, Patriot Center, State Theatre and Jammin Java are some of the music venues in NoVa further out than Alexandria and Arlington.

I don't think you should be complaining too much about the "great deal of ignorance of the region as a whole" on the part of others, when increasing parts of NoVa has greater access to the more active parts of DC than much of Maryland or DC itself.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
^ like the key bridge and 14th st bridge.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,968,732 times
Ok well then, that settles it. We can all go home now. Ain't nothing more to see here. I suppose there never was and there never will be an issue. It is all a figment of our imagination. It's really fascinating to see the pride and joy in here. It's all gravy as they say!

But I will say that it is a bit uneven when its 3 against one haha. I suppose it depends on the time of day you are posting lol. Where is coldbliss when you need him.

It's all good and all love!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Wolf Trap, The Barns, Patriot Center, State Theatre and Jammin Java are some of the music venues in NoVa further out than Alexandria and Arlington.

I don't think you should be complaining too much about the "great deal of ignorance of the region as a whole" on the part of others, when increasing parts of NoVa has greater access to the more active parts of DC than much of Maryland or DC itself.
You know what this reminds me of? And it's not taking a cheap shot but it's like when people ask about the current artists in the area, someone in the group always tugs the coat and yells out maya and genuine. And they feel proud because they contributed.... It's the same like telling people to take day trips.

It seems as if it's reaching. I understand not speaking for everyone but likewise, one can't expect everyone to be into state theaters, parks, walking areas, monuments, and waterfalls but yet, these are always thrown in there.... it just seems like reaching to me. Same way with the usage of the terms like on par, world class, and booming. These are all that describe those that aren't there yet but want to be. It's reaching. If you got it, you got it period. No need to reach.

But I suppose there is nothing wrong with city pride.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:44 PM

Lastly, I know it's all about city pride but DC forums really go through great lengths to defend its city and I appreciate this. But something has to give. You guys justify every last little thing. Like seriously. And you know what? Yes, I live in VA. But I work in DC all week and dj and attend nightclubs from DC to maryland all weekend so I know what I am talking about. I drive to leesburg for the pumking patches, I do the skyline drives, I drive to baltimore. I dont' stay cooped up. I know what I am talking about.

Every time a DC food thread comes up, the OP is told to "dig deeper" or to go out to virginia or maryland. Everything around here is dig deeper or take road trips. Doesn't DC itself take any responsibility for anything? Oh, and the perfect response to that question will be that "you can read that about any other city"... See? You guys have worn out your responses.

Yet, people will read this and it will not click. That is a problem. You can't keep telling people to dig deeper for good restaurants in a city the size of DC. It makes absolutely no sense but those that do, they see nothing wrong with it.

I am not calling you out or trying to make enemies. But at least give up something guys. People complain every where for a reason and it shouldn't be taking to heart always. It is what it is. Every place has its flaws and if there is a common theme, accept it and explain it to those inquiring. Sheesh.... DC is an awesome city but those that don't like it here obviously don't relate. But you can't keep making up **** to make people like it.

Again, somebody posted something in regards to me coming from a car centric background. It's like c'mon. It's you guys are pulling straws. What doesn't that have to do with anything?

Last edited by halfamazing; 10-23-2014 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,751,858 times
you didn't get the memo? Nobody reads anything more than the headline and the first sentence in DC.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:55 PM

238 posts, read 326,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Actually i don't prefer this nor do I expect it. Yes, I am only stating that had there been little pockets of DC beyond the 25 mile radius, people wouldn't have so much of a problem here in my opinion.

And you are right. That is why I said those that don't like it here may have to dig deeper for it doesn't pop up/stand out like other cites. But other inner cities have bordering cities, state, counties, and boroughs that offer good cultural social living beyond it's immediate radius. Just like DS said, past alexandria or arlington, there isn't anything. Even the harbour has the MGM coming but no other outlet surrounding it within 15 miles except DC.
He (or she) doesn't get it, nor will he ever get it. DC is a great place to visit. The negatives can't be found with an internet search. You can't truly experience a place until you live there day to day and experience the culture and the people. Then you can experience it, and compare it to other cities (assuming you've spent significant time in them)

He doesn't get it because he doesn't want to get it and that's fine. I get what you (and many others) are saying and I think you get my drift.

One thing I have noticed is that many of the people with a love for DC (and are not natives to the region) are originally from places with little to no regional identity, and little to no flavor so when they get to DC they have found heaven. Those who don't like it often come from places with strong regional identity and flavor and where you can get lots of GOOD food options lots of GOOD cultural offerings, diversity of people etc, as mentioned in previous posts. Of course there are exceptions to that, but that is what I've observed.

Last edited by scoobydew; 10-23-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: