Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 9,284 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a young female moving to 13th st and Otis in Columbia Heights, real soon. When deciding on this place I kind of assumed it was one of the safer areas because it was NW DC and I automatically ruled out anything SE and NE and ruled in anything NW. I just now decided to do more looking into the area and found some stuff saying that some parts of columbia heights actually are still sketchy and some fine and that it's a transition neighborhood, which I didn't know.

I would really like to get some local opinions on if this is a safe area to live or not. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,945,147 times
Google Statistics and Data | mpdc and do some research. Ass-u-me gets you in trouble.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,502,700 times
It is definitely safe. Columbia Heights is probably the safest "transition neighborhood" in DC, if it's still even a transition neighborhood.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 AM

2,081 posts, read 3,553,270 times
Sounds like you really didn't do your due diligence. Yes, NE and SE have really bad parts and are as a whole less safe than NW, but that doesn't mean that ANYWHERE in NE and SE is dangerous and ANYWHERE in NW is good. Why would you think that? NW definitely has some dangerous parts and NE and SE have some good parts. For example, Capitol Hill, where many Senators and congressmen live and has some of the most expensive real estate in the city, is NE and SE. It has crime but is in my opinion safer than many parts of NW like Columbia Heights and Petworth (which aren't the worst parts of NW).

The safety (or lack thereof) of Columbia Heights is a major topic of controversy on this forum. You could ask 10 people about the neighborhood and get 10 different opinions about how safe or unsafe it is. It really just depends on you and your tolerance for crime. If you've only lived in nice suburbs or small towns where crime is practically unheard of, Columbia Heights might make you uncomfortable.

I have many friends who have lived in Columbia Heights over the years and have been fine and never been the victim of a crime. So anecdotally the risk is low, but yes muggings and other street crimes do happen there quite frequently, as you can see if you look up crime stats.

Last edited by stateofnature; 09-30-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 11:53 AM

566 posts, read 1,547,722 times
Is this post for real? It's almost hard to believe that some people are still relying on assumptions that haven't been applicable for a decade, if not longer.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:51 PM

494 posts, read 844,656 times
I'm not sure this is real, but in case it is, Columbia Heights is relatively safe, there are areas in the city that are much safer and areas that are much more dangerous, but for city livng it is safe.
Someone will inevitably come on here and post a link to the police department without the caveat that Columbia Heights and Petworth are the densest neighborhoods in DC and therefore simply throwing up a list of crimes that occur do not tell you much of the actual risk of being an crime victim.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:39 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,941,721 times
You will be fine in Columbia Heights. I would not worry so much.

Also your understanding of NE is very out of date (most people's understanding of DC is out of date). There is only one area, around Langston, which is really bad. Most of the city west of the river is safe (see the walkscore crime map which takes into account per-capita). Some places safer than others. It should be noted because Columbia Heights is a very very busy area it sees more crime, but largely because it sees more people in general. It is a very dense, high traffic area of the city. Again if you are used to city living, you should be fine. If you have never lived in a city before there will be an adjustment period before you are really comfortable. That's just reality no matter where you would end up living if it was in the urban core.

I would say the only area I would not recommend living in NW for a newcomer is in Brightwood Park, and parts of the Northern Part of Petworth. But even those areas are really not that bad.

Walkscore has a new crime mapping app that takes into account per-capita.
Ellipse Road Northwest, Washington D.C. DC - Walk Score.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:41 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,941,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Is this post for real? It's almost hard to believe that some people are still relying on assumptions that haven't been applicable for a decade, if not longer.
My thought as well.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:41 PM

465 posts, read 654,839 times
[quote=DistrictSonic;36704101]You will be fine in Columbia Heights. I would not worry so much.

Also your understanding of NE is very out of date (most people's understanding of DC is out of date). There is only one area, around Langston, which is really bad. Most of the city west of the river is safe (see the walkscore crime map which takes into account per-capita). Some places safer than others. It should be noted because Columbia Heights is a very very busy area it sees more crime, but largely because it sees more people in general. It is a very dense, high traffic area of the city. Again if you are used to city living, you should be fine. If you have never lived in a city before there will be an adjustment period before you are really comfortable. That's just reality no matter where you would end up living if it was in the urban core.

Safe in comparison to what city of similar size??? Here we have the police union screaming about more officers and you people are talking about how safe the western side of DC is. I have never seen a more clueless group of people in my life. There are many neighborhoods in NE and NW DC that have serious crime problems. Are they 1990's crime problems? Well... of course not but crime is down in every major city when compared to 1990's levels so that doesn't make DC special. I'd take the opinion of law enforcement before listening to some two bit hack on an internet website. Many of these Gentrified paradises have plenty of crime, especially assaults and robberies. BTW the WAPO did an article a couple of years ago about how MPD often downgrades more serious crimes to lower level crimes. With all of the secrecy surrounding the MPD, I really don't think we know how much crime we actually have in this city. So please stop trying to act like you're some sort of authority on the matter because you're not.

http://www.titanoftrinidad.com/2013/...s-from-public/

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2659902...eally-going-on

http://dcpoliceunion.com/take_action

Last edited by dcallday; 10-01-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 12:31 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 433,516 times
I live a block away from that location. Overall, I enjoy living here.
By DC standards, it is relatively safe. Notice I didn't say 100% safe. And also notice I said "by DC standards".

Columbia Heights is very noticeably changing, and changing to become safer and more livable.
However, you must be street smart nonetheless. Don't leave stuff in plain sight inside your car. Use a steel U lock on bikes (preferably keep it inside).

If walking with a bag or a purse, try keep it in front of you and don't just loose arm it.
Just the basic safety principles of living in a gentrifying neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasDC View Post
Hi, I'm a young female moving to 13th st and Otis in Columbia Heights, real soon. When deciding on this place I kind of assumed it was one of the safer areas because it was NW DC and I automatically ruled out anything SE and NE and ruled in anything NW. I just now decided to do more looking into the area and found some stuff saying that some parts of columbia heights actually are still sketchy and some fine and that it's a transition neighborhood, which I didn't know.

I would really like to get some local opinions on if this is a safe area to live or not. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: