Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhiteIII View Post
I've always wanted to move far away from D.C, I was born and raised here and sick of being here lol How much money do you think I would need to relocate to out there ?

Government contract work ? I thought foreigners only come here for that?.... How do you get government contract work if don't have any type of special degree and such ?
There are plenty of overseas contracting jobs available. With a bit of research you might well find the perfect opportunity to expand your horizons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Ask some Africans and spanish people. They have a lot of entry-level
jobs sewn up, so they might be able to hook you up.

How are you going to go overseas with no money? That's so far-fetched,
I'd forget about it. Get a job in the usa, since people from overseas can
get them. It's only fair for you to get one here too.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Ask some Africans and spanish people. They have a lot of entry-level
jobs sewn up, so they might be able to hook you up.

How are you going to go overseas with no money? That's so far-fetched,
I'd forget about it. Get a job in the usa, since people from overseas can
get them. It's only fair for you to get one here too.
Many federal contractors provide stipends and other forms of assistance for housing. Many also provide for accommodations as part of the employment contract. Not to mention foreign-earned income exclusions and foreign housing tax exclusions. Almost all of them provide for a plane ticket to the job location for the very reason that you listed.

Do you honestly think that federal contractors could fill every position if the prospective employee was required to shell out big bucks for a plane ticket and a place to live? That's not logical. It sounds like you've limited yourself because you don't know what's available to you?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:32 AM

https://kbr.taleo.net/careersection/...al=12140124502

This is one of many companies offering jobs overseas (and here at home). The pay is big for the overseas gigs...guaranteed....even for the "helper" types of positions. And under IRS tax rules, the first $92,000 or so is tax free if you spend at least 330 days in the physical work location.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
One piece of advice if you insist on staying is to try to get into a skilled trade. Apply through a local trade union for an apprenticeship. Specifically pipefitters (HVAC) or Electricians, both are well paid and have consistant work no matter the economy. The number of skill trades people though is kept very low, and there is often a waiting list, so it is worthwhile to really be persistant about it. Since you have a high school education, but are not likely to pursue college this is your best bet outside of the military. These are apprenticeship programs so you will both be going to school, and getting some income from jobs. The one warning, any skilled trade does require intelligence, you do not have to be an A student in HS, but you do have to understand mathmatics. Almost every skilled trade I know is math intensive. The classes are math intensive as are the jobs. It's not just working with your hands, it's knowing how to do on the fly geometry and algebra. Again, this is the one path open to you to get a decent standard of living in DC without a college degree, going from apprentice to journey is a long road (5-7 years), but you are the right age for it.

Otherwise I would suggest moving to another part of the country, DC is not a good place to be a low skilled worker. It is a high cost of living city in which employers require a college education for many jobs.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Many federal contractors provide stipends and other forms of assistance for housing. Many also provide for accommodations as part of the employment contract. Not to mention foreign-earned income exclusions and foreign housing tax exclusions. Almost all of them provide for a plane ticket to the job location for the very reason that you listed.

Do you honestly think that federal contractors could fill every position if the prospective employee was required to shell out big bucks for a plane ticket and a place to live? That's not logical. It sounds like you've limited yourself because you don't know what's available to you?

you might have been better off telling him to join the armed forces.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhiteIII View Post
Should I send my to staffing agencies ? ( I've heard bad thing about staffing agencies that's why I'm hesitant )
I'm sure that not all staffing agencies are created equal. I got my first permanent white collared job through Randstad in Philadelphia. In DC, we also hired our receptionist after she filled in for a few weeks through Randstad when our old receptionist retired unexpectedly. I have a fairly high opinion of them both working for them (albeit many years ago) and as an employer who has used them in the past.

Generally, they'll have you come in and take a few tests to gauge your administrative skills like typing etc. Even something like proficiency in excel will be valuable when they consider placing you for jobs. When they call you to place you, you don't have to take the job if you don't want to (although they'll stop placing you pretty quickly if they see a pattern).

Randstad was a life-saver for me bringing in income when I couldn't find a job. It also gave me white collar exposure to a number of companies. That exposure doesn't always lead to a permanent position, but at the very least you're building references. I don't think you have much to lose by trying.

Quote:
While it is always good advice to have a job before moving, you are being a tad bit more discouraging than necessary. A job in the oil/natural gas industry comes in many, many forms. including support industries, There are many ways to be successful...and oftentimes it might involve a step out of a comfort zone.
I am dispelling the myth that you put forward that low cost of living accompanies the areas with plentiful and high paying jobs in ND. The cost of living is high in the boom towns. I'm also not saying there aren't support industries. Obviously there are. Those people who are offered what initially appears to be a good paying job in a support industry to move out there are quickly finding that it doesn't go very far. Walmart doesn't pay $19/hr starting hourly wage in Williston because they're flush with cash and want to share the wealth. They pay that because it's the bare minimum that they can pay employees and keep them in the area. Unlike DC, there aren't affordable housing units set aside for people to live in, or sprawling suburbs with cheaper rent options to move to. There aren't many alternatives nor is there much of a local safetynet. The rising cost of living in NW ND is the main driver of the explosion in homelessness in the state.

Stepping out of one's comfort zone is fine and well, but I'm not sure that the realities in the ND boomtowns match up with the legend. Quite frankly, it's a bit of a mess up there.

Quote:
Just because you, personally, aren't inclined to risk moving somewhere you aren't 100% accommodated from Day 1 doesn't mean other shouldn't do that either.

If I waited to be perfectly comfortable before taking the many risks i've taken in my life, then I wouldn't be where I am today.
I have been an advocate on this forum of moving in search of work if you're in a market that doesn't have opportunities for you. Feel free to elaborate on my lack of risk taking though - I'd be interested in knowing how reading my warning about cost-of-living in ND has translated into specific knowledge of my life.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you might have been better off telling him to join the armed forces.
Why? That's always an option too....but I don't see your point.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I'm sure that not all staffing agencies are created equal. I got my first permanent white collared job through Randstad in Philadelphia. In DC, we also hired our receptionist after she filled in for a few weeks through Randstad when our old receptionist retired unexpectedly. I have a fairly high opinion of them both working for them (albeit many years ago) and as an employer who has used them in the past.

Generally, they'll have you come in and take a few tests to gauge your administrative skills like typing etc. Even something like proficiency in excel will be valuable when they consider placing you for jobs. When they call you to place you, you don't have to take the job if you don't want to (although they'll stop placing you pretty quickly if they see a pattern).

Randstad was a life-saver for me bringing in income when I couldn't find a job. It also gave me white collar exposure to a number of companies. That exposure doesn't always lead to a permanent position, but at the very least you're building references. I don't think you have much to lose by trying.

I am dispelling the myth that you put forward that low cost of living accompanies the areas with plentiful and high paying jobs in ND. The cost of living is high in the boom towns. I'm also not saying there aren't support industries. Obviously there are. Those people who are offered what initially appears to be a good paying job in a support industry to move out there are quickly finding that it doesn't go very far. Walmart doesn't pay $19/hr starting hourly wage in Williston because they're flush with cash and want to share the wealth. They pay that because it's the bare minimum that they can pay employees and keep them in the area. Unlike DC, there aren't affordable housing units set aside for people to live in, or sprawling suburbs with cheaper rent options to move to. There aren't many alternatives nor is there much of a local safetynet. The rising cost of living in NW ND is the main driver of the explosion in homelessness in the state.

Stepping out of one's comfort zone is fine and well, but I'm not sure that the realities in the ND boomtowns match up with the legend. Quite frankly, it's a bit of a mess up there.

I have been an advocate on this forum of moving in search of work if you're in a market that doesn't have opportunities for you. Feel free to elaborate on my lack of risk taking though - I'd be interested in knowing how reading my warning about cost-of-living in ND has translated into specific knowledge of my life.
An untold number of people have quite literally purchased a cheap camper trailer/RV and moved to ND to get situated. An untold number of people engage in apartment and house sharing, just like right here in high cost DC. You act like a house with a white picket fence must be settled before picking up and moving. I'm quite sure you would NEVER purchase an RV and move to ND....it seems to be FAR outside of your level of risk taking, and that's ok. But you shouldn't attempt to "dispel myths" without first knowing that there are MANY options available to those who are truly willing to take a risk. You do not seem to be that kind of person....so why try to influence someone with your own risk-averse biases?

Clearly, you don't appear to be familiar with what's going on in ND other than some statistical distortion of homelessness and high cost of living. Man camps, like this are one of many options available for those looking to work in North Dakota. But if we listened to you, there would be no one to ever incur such an experience.

Quote:
They are called man camps — temporary housing compounds supporting the overwhelmingly male work force flooding the region in search of refuge from a stormy economy. These two, Capital Lodge and Tioga Lodge, built on opposite sides of a highway, will have up to 3,700 residents, according to current plans.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us...anted=all&_r=0

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 10-20-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Why? That's always an option too....but I don't see your point.
he probably doesn't really want to go somewhere overseas just to get a job, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC