Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:17 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Nope, this just makes it legal to posses up to 2 ounces, 6 plants (but only 3 can be mature/flowering at a time), but inhibits sales.
That's all good though. Just grow your own and don't worry about paying the high prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
That's all good though. Just grow your own and don't worry about paying the high prices.
It's certainly a start.

I know it still has to go through congress, and they have the ability to make this not go into effect, and that bums me out, not because of pot, but, because the people have voted, they clearly won and congress can take it all away. Sends a hell of a message: You don't matter. Your VOTES don't matter.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:16 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
It's certainly a start.

I know it still has to go through congress, and they have the ability to make this not go into effect, and that bums me out, not because of pot, but, because the people have voted, they clearly won and congress can take it all away. Sends a hell of a message: You don't matter. Your VOTES don't matter.
Yea that would be a pretty ****ty thing for them to do. Hopefully it doesn't play out that way

Old 11-05-2014, 05:33 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Hopefully Congress will let it stand...the people voted for it, so they should let it stand. So when will you guys hear from Congress?

Old 11-05-2014, 06:36 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Hopefully Congress will let it stand...the people voted for it, so they should let it stand. So when will you guys hear from Congress?
They have 60 days to pass a joint resolution disapproving the Act. I don't think a standalone resolution will pass; or even be taken up by the Senate.

Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.) introduced an amendment to one of the approps bills to withhold funding from the district for the law that the council passed the decriminalization bill earlier this year. A tactic like this is not subject to the 60-day timeframe, and is a more likely route to repeal. Harris bungled the language though, and the amendment could have been interpreted as handcuffing DC from even handing out the fines for marijuana possession; effectively eliminating all penalties for possession of small amounts of marijuana. The language was pulled.

Harris has said that he'll go after initiative 71 if it passed. We'll see how he intends to do that. He'll have another opportunity to offer an amendment to the FY2015 omnibus when it comes up in early December. If he is successful in getting something included in a large legislative vehicle, it could pose a real threat. Even though the Dems will still have the Senate for the passage of that bill, and people like Rand Paul are against interfering with DC's limited autonomy, no one is going to hold up a larger bill for this issue. That being said, I think if Senate Dems and people like Rand Paul make a stink about it, Boehner/Rodgers won't fight too hard to keep it in.

Last edited by KStreetQB; 11-05-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 09:11 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
They have 60 days to pass a joint resolution disapproving the Act. I don't think a standalone resolution will pass; or even be taken up by the Senate.

Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.) introduced an amendment to one of the approps bills to withhold funding from the district for the law that the council passed the decriminalization bill earlier this year. A tactic like this is not subject to the 60-day timeframe, and is a more likely route to repeal. Harris bungled the language though, and the amendment could have been interpreted as handcuffing DC from even handing out the fines for marijuana possession; effectively eliminating all penalties for possession of small amounts of marijuana. The language was pulled.

Harris has said that he'll go after initiative 71 if it passed. We'll see how he intends to do that. He'll have another opportunity to offer an amendment to the FY2015 omnibus when it comes up in early December. If he is successful in getting something included in a large legislative vehicle, it could pose a real threat. Even though the Dems will still have the Senate for the passage of that bill, and people like Rand Paul are against interfering with DC's limited autonomy, no one is going to hold up a larger bill for this issue. That being said, I think if Senate Dems and people like Rand Paul make a stink about it, Boehner/Rodgers won't fight too hard to keep it in.
Thanks, lets just ope he's unsuccessful in attaching it to anything worth wild.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:

i see what you did there

Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
The President also has to sign it which I think is the most interesting dynamic. Of course this nutjob Congress wouldn't think twice about interfering with DC's autonomy even though they're supposedly all about states' rights. It would put President Obama in a much bigger bind because there is definitely a schism in the Democratic Party between the younger voters and older voters on pot.

Then again, I'm not convinced Obama cares about DC autonomy either. Seems like he's been dragged into it because he basically has to as a Democrat.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Obama has already stated that he supported D.C. on this issue so I highly doubt if he'll let congress interfere with Initiative #71. Now if we had a republican president that would be a problem.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
I view decriminalization of possession of small amounts of marijuana is a step in the right direction, although ultimately I believe in the complete legalization, regulation and taxation of marijuana sales.

People that want to smoke are already smoking. The product is not regulated for consumer safety and it supports enterprises whose crimes ultimately extend well beyond the sale of a marijuana. The cost, both human and financial, of law enforcement and criminal justice related to marijuana is absurd to me.

I view it as a more innocuous vice than alcohol.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: