U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-01-2008, 03:15 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,604 times
Default What Attracts Young People To D.C.?

I recently read that D.C., Atlanta and Denver are cities that are attracting a lot of young people who are graduating from college. What is it specifically about D.C. that is so attractive? I'm not from the east coast or that region so I'm trying to get a little insight perspective.

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2008 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: typos fixed :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,598,831 times
It can be summed up in one word:

Jobs.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:37 PM

209 posts, read 587,028 times
Well jobs are one thing. But also good nightlife, and active social scene, cultural opportunities (Kennedy Center, Smithsonian, National Geographic Society), and being around people who are generally bright and interested in the world around them. It's the usual list of urban attractions. In addition DC is actually affordable compared to San Francisco or New York.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,710,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post
I recently read that D.C., Atlanta and Denver are cities that are attracking a lot of young people who are graduating from college. What is it specifically about D.C. that is so attractive? I'm not from the east coast or that region so I'm trying to get a little insight persepctive.
Of the three cities you mentioned (and having lived in Atlanta and DC), I think DC is probably the best place to be for a young college graduate. As a previous poster said -- jobs are the big reason why these cities are popular. But DC has thousands of jobs that involve working with government agencies, trade associations, congress, lobbyists, etc, -- something not available anywhere else in the country -- not to mention the steady staple of corporate jobs, particularly in the defense and tech industries. There are hundreds of law firms that need paralegal staffing to boot. The other great thing about being a young college graduate in DC is that you will find thousands of other highly educated young people like yourself who came to DC specifically with the hope and ideals of making a difference in life.

All this being said, it comes with a price. One of the negatives to all the smart idealistic young people is that everyone is hyper-educated and it is easy to feel inferior if, say, you "only" have a masters degree. Also, this young idealistic workforce is highly transient. If you spend a couple of years in DC, you will make some great friends, but half of them will likely move away in that same time frame (and not just to the suburbs). It is simply a fact of life in DC that young people come and go, whether it is caused by the changing political winds, a change in ideals, or the simple inability to afford to buy a house.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:32 PM

19,178 posts, read 18,931,372 times
Yeah, a lot of kids do come in with the idea of putting in a few years of resume-padding, then heading back out again. There are plenty of interesting jobs. As DC is a high cost-of-living area, you can get some upscale-looking salary numbers on your record. There is a lot to do around here, there's a ton of young people, and there's all that culture and nightlife to boot. That was my general idea, too. But I had no idea how fascinating and intriguing the work would turn out to be. So my plan for 3-5 years turned into 35 years instead. Don't regret a minute of it, either. But not everyone gets bitten by the bug like that, so yes, it does end up being a highly transient area as noted...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:27 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,598,831 times
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that jobs are the only thing keeping people here. Personally, I really like the DC area for all it has to offer, and I do want to stay here a long time.

That said, the thing that drew me here in the first place was a decent-paying job. Most college graduates have that as the first thing on their mind. The other amenities are nice, but I would have been willing to relocate to a lot of different areas had jobs from those areas been a good fit.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,692,491 times
For many recent college grads, living in DC is like...more college. You'll meet lots of interesting people from all over the country (and the world), you can easily find group housing with a steady stream of transient but fun roommates, there are lots of other people your age who are eager to meet new friends, many jobs involve research and writing, and (if you work on the Hill or have friends who do) you can regularly find free food for dinner.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:06 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,736,105 times
I wholeheartedly agree with the above posts. The city offers an abundance of cultural ammenities, higher paying salaries and nightlife than most big cities. There is a world of opportunities to meet highly educated people who share many of the same goals and interest.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 AM

1,983 posts, read 3,712,277 times
Default The Pot of Gold in DC

In my opinion DC is the best place for a young professional to live and make lots of money. The fields I would suggest for career growth are Lawyer,
Paid Lobbyist for Drug, Oil & Healthcare industry and of course Politician.
The service industry that caters to these folks also is in demand. Do we ask ourselves why the U.S. government is so screwed up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC