Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:12 PM

88 posts, read 192,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Not true at all.

If done and marketed right it will be successful.
So what on earth is there to do in DC after 3am when bars close eh? Riddle me this please. Especially on the weekdays. How on earth will WMATA afford to support a 24/7 train system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:15 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Not true at all.

If done and marketed right it will be successful.
What do you market?

Hey hipsters, everything is closed after last call, until operating hours! Shift workers, you are already at work and will have metro access when you get off in the morning!

There are hardly any 24 hour business that warrant 24hour transpo, but PLEASE, ride the METRO!

We're open for YOU. . . and not much else!?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:49 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
What do you market?

Hey hipsters, everything is closed after last call, until operating hours! Shift workers, you are already at work and will have metro access when you get off in the morning!

There are hardly any 24 hour business that warrant 24hour transpo, but PLEASE, ride the METRO!

We're open for YOU. . . and not much else!?
A lot of employers have shifts that start at 3:30am, UPS is one of them.
It seems like metro doesn't care about the blue collar people in this city, only 9-5 yuppies
There are plenty of warehouses, airports, construction co. and restaurants in this area that have odd hour employees and having to either own a car or waiting until metro opens is unacceptable.

24/7 service should be rolled out in baby phases. Start with buses that run along main corridors and big employment areas that have a lot of blue collar graveyard workers as well as nightlife districts.
Also non stop weekend service should be established.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:59 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Most metro trains are pretty empty after 7PM. I would rather see the money spent on making MARC and VRE more usable all day long as modes to get around the metro and city (like METRA in Chicago) rather than just for rush hour commuters.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:21 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
A lot of employers have shifts that start at 3:30am, UPS is one of them.
It seems like metro doesn't care about the blue collar people in this city, only 9-5 yuppies
There are plenty of warehouses, airports, construction co. and restaurants in this area that have odd hour employees and having to either own a car or waiting until metro opens is unacceptable.

24/7 service should be rolled out in baby phases. Start with buses that run along main corridors and big employment areas that have a lot of blue collar graveyard workers as well as nightlife districts.
Also non stop weekend service should be established.
Most of the blue-collar jobs are in NE which has very few metro stations. I don't think anyone would have a problem with later buses but later trains would be way too expensive.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Most metro trains are pretty empty after 7PM. I would rather see the money spent on making MARC and VRE more usable all day long as modes to get around the metro and city (like METRA in Chicago) rather than just for rush hour commuters.
What the hell?
Metro trains have plenty of people on them until closing everyday so I don't know what
you're smoking on. I do agree that MARC should expand service more to be on par with SEPTA and METRA.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Most of the blue-collar jobs are in NE which has very few metro stations. I don't think anyone would have a problem with later buses but later trains would be way too expensive.
In addition to NE DC there are plenty of blue collar jobs in the suburbs. There are large industrial areas near Landover and New Carrollton stations as well as Cleverly. Van Dorn st station has warehouses near it too. That's just a few area off the top of my head.

It seems like every city north of D.C. has better 24/7 transit service. I think it's time to step our game up.
The 70 bus ain't gonna cut it, D.C. will never truly be world class if it only has a few bus routes that operate owl hours.

Plus I don't what's so hard about running trains 24/7.
Run a short train every 45-60 minutes. Turn off escalators at all stations except the deep ones unless the elevators are broken.
Only have one entrance open during owl hours. Stations like Federal Center, Smithsonian, Federal Triangle, Arlington Cemetery, Judiciary Sq. Capitol South would be closed and Le'Fant plaza would be transfer only. I'd even say do extreme core at first then expand:

Red: Silver Spring to Dupont Circle
Green: Ft. Totten to Anacostia
Orange: Stadium to Foggy Bottom

All you need is at most two trains per line and trains could bounce back and forth between tracks one and two if there is any maintenance going on. Chicago runs its blue and red lines 24/7 and it's system is wayyyyyy older than WMATA's. In Philly they ran their trains all night during the weekend in the summer, dunno if they made that permanent. Plus owl buses travel the same route as the subway and el, this probably wouldn't work well on our system unless it was the green line between Ft Totten Anacostia.

In any case the car or taxi/uber shouldn't be the only option for traveling between 12am and 5am.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:21 AM

I swear some of you either think that D.C. is a sleepy southern town or want it to go backwards.
Well too bad!!! Welcome to hustle and bustle big city D.C.

I guess I should share my idea with the city council and WMATA.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
I swear some of you either think that D.C. is a sleepy southern town or want it to go backwards.
Well too bad!!! Welcome to hustle and bustle big city D.C.

I guess I should share my idea with the city council and WMATA.
I agree MARC needs to have a way better system like the METRA.

But seriously present your idea or something. I think DC needs better transit with the way the city is heading and the population growth

Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I agree MARC needs to have a way better system like the METRA.

But seriously present your idea or something. I think DC needs better transit with the way the city is heading and the population growth
The problem with MARC (and VRE) is they share the tracks with CSX and Amtrak, so they have to fight for open slots. The Penn line that connects us to Baltimore operates seven days a week now but the hours should be expanded. The last trains to leave Baltimore's Penn and DC's Union should leave at midnight, possibly 3am on weekends. Basically the Penn line should mimic Metro's current hours. This will be good for BWI (both travelers and employees, people who want to hang out/party in thr opposite city or people who live between the two, and it's just a good look overall. Plenty of people will use this and the roads will become safer. Turn this into a world class region. The other commuter rail lines are pretty much stuck as rush hour only trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC