Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 5,323 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I'm 24 years old and going with a couple college buddies to an MSU football game at Maryland this week. The gist I've perceived is that everyone in the area goes to D.C. for bars so I'm wondering what places we should go to eat and drink. You can be as specific as you like. I've heard mostly south of DuPont and Adams Morgan. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:45 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus248 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm 24 years old and going with a couple college buddies to an MSU football game at Maryland this week. The gist I've perceived is that everyone in the area goes to D.C. for bars so I'm wondering what places we should go to eat and drink. You can be as specific as you like. I've heard mostly south of DuPont and Adams Morgan. Thank you.
Adams Morgan, U Street, H Street, and Chinatown is where you are likely going to end up. Just to note, College Park has more than it's fare share of bars, it is a college town. It is also likely to be cheaper than DC as well. South of Dupont Circle is mostly office buildings. The Dupont Circle area is not the same as it was 5 years ago, much of the entertainment has moved east to 14th and U street. Then again most people's ideas about DC are years out of date.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
If you're coming in via Metro, you'll be coming in on the green line. That hits the U Street metro station, so probably a great jumping off point for the night. Plus it's close to the 14th street corridor which ahs a bunch of other bars. In no particular order:

Brixton (9th & U) http://brixtondc.com/ - Its a big pub, with pub fare. Good ambiance and a huge roofdeck that I think they have tented in.

Sollys (11th & U) sollys - one of the best dive bars in the district. It's gotten very popular, and expanded, so it's lost a little bit of it's grittiness, but a great place nonetheless.

American Ice Co (9th & V) American Ice Co. - hipster hangout, but a pretty good one. Simple menu, but good sandwiches.

DC9 (9th & U) DC9 | Music for the 21st Century - a local music scene bar. There might be a show while you're there, but it's a solid bar. Also, if you're looking to get one last beer after everyone else does a stupid-early last call, they tend to serve up until 2:59. They'll confiscate your beer at 3:00 though. Fair enough.

The Gibson (14th & U) The Gibson - a speakeasy with a non descript door and great cocktails. It's seated only to keep it a relaxed crowd, so sometimes it's hard to get in.

Marvin (14th & U) Marvin DC - right next to the gibson. Gastropub themed after Marvin Gaye's two years in Belgium... I dunno, but it has pretty good food and drinks. Good atmosphere.

Lost Society (14th & U) LostGroup - boutique steakhouse/bar. Relatively new.

Policy (14th & T) Policy Restaurant and Lounge - Washington, DC - Small night club. Usually a good atmosphere, no drama. Great place to get bottle service and the prices aren't terrible if you're going to make a night of it.

Ben's Chilli Bowl (12th & U) http://benschilibowl.com/- A tourist must. Also a late night drunk binge eating must. Try the half-smokes. They're DC's version of a spicy sausage.

Ben's Next Door - A sit down restaurant next to the Chilli bowl. Good food. Kind of pricey for what it is.

Not sure what kind of places you're interested in, but that's something to get you started. If you have a kind of restaurant you're looking for or a type of nightlife, we can probably suggest more specific things.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Thanks KStreet! I'm actually coming from Bethesda, where we're staying.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Well, if you go out in Adams Mo, make sure you hit Jack Rose. It's like a whiskey amusement park.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:30 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
Dans Cafe.

Really classy, upscale place, with delicious food and an extensive list of craft beers on draft.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:09 PM

KStreet,
Do you have any suggestions on the DuPont area?

Old 11-12-2014, 04:11 PM

KStreet,
Do you have any suggestions on the DuPont area?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:20 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Go to Georgetown, and hit some sports bars. Trust me, you'll thank me later. And make sure you go to the one that has the sticky floors.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:41 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
KStreet gave a lot of good recommendations. In general, there's a ton of places to go. In Adams Morgan, just walk down 18th Street until you get to about S or R Streets, hang a right, and then you're in Dupont Circle (the two neighborhoods are pretty close to each other). Most bars are clustered around Connecticut Avenue and then off of M and L Streets. I'm getting old and boring, but here are some places I know of (including a few restaurants):

Adams Morgan:
- Black Squirrel: really good beer selection and food, but also a full bar usually a bit calmer than other bars in Adams Morgan (i.e. fewer stupidly drunk people); check out their Facebook page to see if they're having a live (free) band
- Bourbon: decent beer list, but also good cocktails/liquor selection
- Madams Organ: can be fun if they have a good band playing, quirky bar
- Dan's Cafe: claim to fame is that they serve you liquor in a squeeze bottle and then your mixer on the side
- Blaguard: neighborhood bar-type place, decent beer list and pub food
- Meskerem/Dahlak/Keren: Ethiopian food, if you're feeling adventurous DC has a lot of Ethiopian and Eritrean restaurants
- Mimosa Restaurant: Newer Vietnamese place, one of the better ones I've been to inside DC (the suburbs have better ethnic food in general)
- Amsterdam Falafel: one of the better drunk food options (and also good sober). If you're tempted by pizza, go to Meat in a Box or Duccini's
- Smoke & Barrel: whiskey & bbq place, with an oddly good selection of vegan options

Dupont Circle:
- Bar Charley: good drinks and food, smaller place (kind of in between Adams Morgan and Dupont)
- Board Room: no food, good beer list and (as the namesake implies) a ton of board games to play
- Bier Baron: basement bar with a huge beer list
- James Hobans: Irish pub right off of Dupont Circle. I haven't gone in a while (getting old), but remember there being a decent crowd on weekend nights. Nearby are bars that get a bit busier with a similar crowd (Front Page, Buffalo Billiards)
- Big Hunt: dive bar, kind of odd, but an impressive beer selection and more laid back
- Sauf Haus Bier Hall: rooftop beer garden (with an indoor portion), haven't actually gone yet
- Sign of the Whale: not a bad bar, not a great bar, but the home of many blacked out memories that I believe were fun
- Eighteenth Street Lounge: more of a dancing place and charges a cover, but can have decent music.
- Glen's Garden Market: ok, technically not a bar, but they have a decent list of all local taps for $4 (which around here is a steal). You can also get sandwiches or some snacks before heading out for the night

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but that's what came to mind. Is there anything in particular you're looking for or prefer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: