Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,172 times

Advertisements

Looks like the National Harbor location isn't working out for the museum:

http://ncm.museum/media/W1siZiIsIjIw...f?sha=ae640068
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,172 times
Just learned that their space at National Harbor was temporary to begin with.

I wonder what will happen/happened to the children's museum space that was being advertised for the ArtPlace at Fort Totten development.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:27 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
What DC NEEDS is a world class aquarium like what Baltimore, Atlanta, and NYC has. Where is the question though.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
What DC NEEDS is a world class aquarium like what Baltimore, Atlanta, and NYC has. Where is the question though.
an aquarium would be a good fit for poplar point if they ever developed it. but i doubt they ever would because Baltimore is so close

Old 11-18-2014, 08:57 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
an aquarium would be a good fit for poplar point if they ever developed it. but i doubt they ever would because Baltimore is so close
Baltimore is the National Aquarium. It is doubtful DC will ever really get one because of proximity to Baltimore. Baltimore really does not have much else going on, and DC has the National Zoo, multiple large art museums, the Air and Space museum, the National Archives, the Library of Congress (the largest library in the world). I could go on, in reality no other city in the US has the resources DC has, especially considering it's size. The one thing DC has above nearly every other city is the museums. We have the number and quality of museums of a city 10X our size. Only NYC is comparible in the US, and even globally, we are in the top tier.

I have a feeling the National Childrens Museum may have stepped into the Carnagie Library now that the spy museum has lost it. They probably have a decent proposal which will keep the integrity of the structure in tact. It would be a great fit.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
It was a dumb idea to put the National Children's Museum at the NH because that area is not a children's destination.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:17 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It was a dumb idea to put the National Children's Museum at the NH because that area is not a children's destination.
Families still went there though. Based on the Yelp reviews, it seems most of the complaints and it's low rating are a result of the admission price being too expensive for what was offered.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:25 AM

779 posts, read 632,471 times
DC had an aquarium. It's time for them to reopen it. It would be nice if they could do it in conjunction with the Children's Museum. That used to be one of my favorite places to go when I was little.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:44 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
DC had an aquarium. It's time for them to reopen it. It would be nice if they could do it in conjunction with the Children's Museum. That used to be one of my favorite places to go when I was little.
It closed on 2013 because the building needed significant renovations. They have secured an architect, but it will probably be at least another 4-5 years before it re-opens. Remember the national aquarium operates both the DC and Baltimore facilities. The DC one was in desperate need of repairs.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:55 AM

779 posts, read 632,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
It closed on 2013 because the building needed significant renovations. They have secured an architect, but it will probably be at least another 4-5 years before it re-opens. Remember the national aquarium operates both the DC and Baltimore facilities. The DC one was in desperate need of repairs.

I know it about it needing renovations but I thought that they said that it was not going to reopen in the same space. The last that I saw, they were determining where to put it. Do you know of any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC