Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times

Advertisements

Wow. DC is named after the female personification of America, Columbia. Not Christopher Columbus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_%28name%29

When I think of "Washington," I think of all the 9 to 5 federal horribleness that goes on downtown. DC to me is the actual city. I guess it's kind of backwards but you can blame the media for calling the fed govt "Washington." I want no association with all that politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Wow. DC is named after the female personification of America, Columbia. Not Christopher Columbus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_%28name%29

When I think of "Washington," I think of all the 9 to 5 federal horribleness that goes on downtown. DC to me is the actual city. I guess it's kind of backwards but you can blame the media for calling the fed govt "Washington." I want no association with all that politics.
& the female personification of America got her name from Columbus...

Old 12-19-2014, 02:49 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
You are completely missing the point. DC isn't a nickname, it is the official name. Washington is more for tourists. Therefore internationally the city is more commonly referred to as Washington & locally as DC. DC isn't a nickname for Washington. Anyways, this issue was resolved days ago, so stop making yourself look like an idiot & let the thread die. Just looking through your posts i can see that you are nothing more than a troll though, so you deserve no more attention from me
" so stop making yourself look like an idiot & let the thread die. Just looking through your posts i can see that you are nothing more than a troll though, so you deserve no more attention from me"

The usual. you can't have an honest discussion. When someone say something you don't like you can't discuss the issue, instead you revert to juvenile name calling.

"DC isn't a nickname" says who? You? Do you think I care what you think? Not in your wildest dreams!

I repeat ""Washington, D.C., formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, "the District", or simply D.C.

I have, and many others , called it D.C for years and STILL do.

Being born in Wash, D.C. and living in the are for over 60 years I KNOW what I think. Not what YOU think I should think.

Good Bye and good riddance.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:24 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" so stop making yourself look like an idiot & let the thread die. Just looking through your posts i can see that you are nothing more than a troll though, so you deserve no more attention from me"

The usual. you can't have an honest discussion. When someone say something you don't like you can't discuss the issue, instead you revert to juvenile name calling.

"DC isn't a nickname" says who? You? Do you think I care what you think? Not in your wildest dreams!

I repeat ""Washington, D.C., formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, "the District", or simply D.C.

I have, and many others , called it D.C for years and STILL do.

Being born in Wash, D.C. and living in the are for over 60 years I KNOW what I think. Not what YOU think I should think.

Good Bye and good riddance.
if you don't care what i think then why are you even here? bye!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:13 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
I think the OP is Muriel Bowser.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:05 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
DC is a nickname. The government is named District of Columbia. The city is named Washington.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
DC is a nickname. The government is named District of Columbia. The city is named Washington.
The end. This is the worst thread ever.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:58 AM

545 posts, read 1,099,993 times
im from north jersey. my whole life i have said DC. i never heard anybody say "washington". matter of fact the first time i heard it refered to washington was down in maryland. up by NY, everyone says DC

Old 12-21-2014, 04:44 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
im from north jersey. my whole life i have said DC. i never heard anybody say "washington". matter of fact the first time i heard it refered to washington was down in maryland. up by NY, everyone says DC
Ever hear of the District or DC Post?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 AM

779 posts, read 632,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
As i have started traveling more & more recently, both overseas by plane, & up & down the coast by car, I have realized that no one calls this city DC unless you are from here. Overseas everyone calls it Washington, up & down the coast a majority of people call it Washington, all highway signs say Washington, we are called Washingtonians, almost all our sports teams are Washington _____, & the people trying to bring the Olympics here are calling it the Washington Olympics. Is it time We stop calling it DC & make it more simple for everyone by just changing the name to Washington City? I feel like it would be so much easier to adopt the name that everyone knows us by. & there really is no reason as to why we call ourselves DC. Not to mention continuing to use the term "District" implies that we are just a federal district & hinders & home rule initiatives. but what do you all think?
Washington, DC works for me when I travel. Washington implies the state and it takes a second for them to know what DC is, if they don't come here often or aren't a few hours away. There are other cities named Washington but only one named Washington, DC. I would just stick with that in formal settings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: