Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:26 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Then you must not be very familiar with Baltimore. Most of Baltimore and SE and much of NE DC are similar in having very little neighborhood retail. Having a deli doesn't mean that your neighborhood retail needs are met. Baltimore City doesn't even have a single department store anymore. For many quality products, you have to travel to an affluent area like Roland Park, Waverly, or Wyman Park, but for most in Baltimore, it's easier to go out to the county. You mentioned groceries. Are you aware that most of Baltimore is a total food desert where residents have no easy access to fresh produce? Source: New, Improved.
Exactly. I think the only neighborhood up in Bmore that has the most well-rounded amount of daily basic stores (like a major grocery store for example) and amenities is probably Harbor East. And outside of the Inner Harbor and a small handful of North Bmore neighborhoods, West, East, and a lot of Southeast Baltimore are food deserts with lackluster retail scenes. Even Downtown Bmore is kinda shoddy as well. I like that the OP is taking the time to pinpoint DC's issues while not paying more attention in making sure that his city has it's own house in order. Both Philly and DC are cities of neighborhoods with their own set of issues, but both cities definitely do a better job at getting their own sh1t in gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
The April 2014, issue of Washingtonian Magazine (page 142), says that the median price of homes sold in Congress Heights/ Washington Highlands, shot up by a whopping 63% in ONE YEAR -- the most of any neighborhood in the whole metro area.

Suitland, MD rose by 40% in ONE YEAR
, and Capital Heights, MD by 38%. .

Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
i wonder how many of the ppl in this thread have actually been in SE DC.....bc where naylor road meets good hope and alabama theres a safeway supermarket and a couple other stores....nothing too fancy but theres at least a supermarket......then again i keep forgetting gentrifiers and developers alike hate safeway anyway......

People who complain about how the neighborhood lacks amenties ive learned that thats code language for the neighborhood aint squat until a whole foods and overpriced organic restaurants and markets get built in the area. So i take those complaints with a grain of salt. If development came to an area with the intent of installing say a safeway or a giant and some big box retail or restaurants like target walmart applebees chilis best buy, people would complain and gripe about that too. I guess redeveloping an area with things that the existing residents can access and benefit from is just as bad as leaving the area abandoned..

Old 12-29-2014, 01:34 PM

465 posts, read 657,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
i wonder how many of the ppl in this thread have actually been in SE DC.....bc where naylor road meets good hope and alabama theres a safeway supermarket and a couple other stores....nothing too fancy but theres at least a supermarket......then again i keep forgetting gentrifiers and developers alike hate safeway anyway......

People who complain about how the neighborhood lacks amenties ive learned that thats code language for the neighborhood aint squat until a whole foods and overpriced organic restaurants and markets get built in the area. So i take those complaints with a grain of salt. If development came to an area with the intent of installing say a safeway or a giant and some big box retail or restaurants like target walmart applebees chilis best buy, people would complain and gripe about that too. I guess redeveloping an area with things that the existing residents can access and benefit from is just as bad as leaving the area abandoned..

What I don't understand is how anybody from Baltimore can critique the lack of development in any part of DC. The question you need to ask yourself is what is this dude's motive. What's his point? Everybody in the free world knows that Baltimore for the most part looks like a dump and that is has way more undeveloped areas than any part of DC. SMFH

Old 12-29-2014, 06:28 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
what i don't understand is how anybody from baltimore can critique the lack of development in any part of dc. The question you need to ask yourself is what is this dude's motive. What's his point? Everybody in the free world knows that baltimore for the most part looks like a dump and that is has way more undeveloped areas than any part of dc. Smfh
+2

Old 12-29-2014, 07:39 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
What I don't understand is how anybody from Baltimore can critique the lack of development in any part of DC. The question you need to ask yourself is what is this dude's motive. What's his point? Everybody in the free world knows that Baltimore for the most part looks like a dump and that is has way more undeveloped areas than any part of DC. SMFH
What I don't understand is why there is hardly any retail in SE for such a vast area. Take it how you want. No one should have to travel to another jurisdiction for basic needs especially in a city. People move to the city to avoid this, but this isn't the case in SE apparently.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:36 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
What I don't understand is why there is hardly any retail in SE for such a vast area. Take it how you want. No one should have to travel to another jurisdiction for basic needs especially in a city. People move to the city to avoid this, but this isn't the case in SE apparently.
Poverty and perception. Food deserts exist in every city across the country in dangerous areas. The difference is not many places have such huge swaths of concentrated poverty. SE is getting better though as parcels are getting redeveloped.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:32 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
SE DC (EoTR) is a low density suburb with a continuing crime problem. Those are not positives for businesses that depend on foot traffic for business. Many businesses have tried to give far SE a chance but have been unsuccessful; recent examples that comes to mind was Ray's steakhouse and the Yes! Organic market. Wards 7 and 8 are also the poorest wards so the local residents often have less discretionary income. Again, none of these factors make opening a business in these neighborhoods a particularly appealing idea.

Far SE is not the only under-retailed part of DC. Brightwood and Fort Totten in NW don't have much to choose from. Neither does Woodridge or Michigan Park in NE. The list could go on and on.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
There should be a shopping mall east of the river. In every other city you'll have shopping mall and possibly a movie theater in the hood. Mondawmin mall and Reisterstown plaza in Baltimore are in the middle of the hood but have pretty much everything someone may need. There's nothing like that EoTR. If you live EoTR and want to shop you are most likely going to PG county (PG plaza, Eastover, Iverson mall, Forestville) and if you want to cash out on a fresh outfit perhaps Gtown. Minnesota ave should be a much better shopping hub than it is with more discount and clothing stores serving the population, sort of like 149th street in the Bronx. I think Baltimore indeed does better with retail in the ghetto than D.C. does with better bus connections into the closeby suburbs that have the better retail like Towson, Catonsville, and White Marsh.

I went to Forman Mills in Bmore last month on Bel air road it was next to a grocery store and dollar general, the shopping center seemed to serve the area around it well, which is the hood. D.C. has a similar set up near Rhode Island ave station with the Forman mills next to save a lot and Big lots and other retail that you'll find in the hood, but there's none of that EoTR right now. Just two Safeways, one Giant, a few cheap clothing stores like rainbow, and that is it. Other than thats its liquor stores, Chinese carryouts, beauty supply shops, and other run of the mill hood joints.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Exactly. I think the only neighborhood up in Bmore that has the most well-rounded amount of daily basic stores (like a major grocery store for example) and amenities is probably Harbor East. And outside of the Inner Harbor and a small handful of North Bmore neighborhoods, West, East, and a lot of Southeast Baltimore are food deserts with lackluster retail scenes. Even Downtown Bmore is kinda shoddy as well. I like that the OP is taking the time to pinpoint DC's issues while not paying more attention in making sure that his city has it's own house in order. Both Philly and DC are cities of neighborhoods with their own set of issues, but both cities definitely do a better job at getting their own sh1t in gear.
This +2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: