Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

on park benches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
There are platonic friend finding sites out there as well. For women it is a bit easier because we have girlfriend social which is pretty good. Not4dating is another site out there. This concept could probably be expanded, and probably better adapted.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
There are platonic friend finding sites out there as well. For women it is a bit easier because we have girlfriend social which is pretty good. Not4dating is another site out there. This concept could probably be expanded, and probably better adapted.
Actually, this is somewhat what I am talking about. I watched the youtube video. It would have to work not only for social groups within your area but for those traveling and just looking to meet a wing partner for that night or meet up with people at specific gatherings in real time or that day.

It's not fun as you get older going out alone when you are still into being mobile and not spending the entire day and night in a hotel room.

it would have to also have to attract both a younger and older audience.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Has another volunteer hub taken the place of Greater DC Cares? I was saddened to learn that they closed because of bankruptcy--I did a lot of volunteer work for them in my mid and late 20s, back in the mid-90s when they were only a few years old. Met some great people that way.

I suppose you can find individual organizations that need volunteers, too. See about local food banks or the DC branch of Habitat for Humanity.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 PM

35 posts, read 40,844 times
Thanks everybody for the great advice! It's given me lots of good ideas!

Old 01-15-2015, 01:37 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
on park benches
The benches in the traffic circle park in the middle of Dupont Circle or near the running trails in Rock Creek Park are a good start

Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM

490 posts, read 649,537 times
Did you try googling "friends"? Yah I just got the cheesy 90's comedy too.

Look up social clubs like United Social Sports, or Meetup. Meeting people here sucks. Do your best not to talk about work. Like what you do, etc. that's the first thing people ask around here. When people ask me what I do, I'll give them hobbies, or menial tasks such as breathing, walking down the beach, solving the worlds problems.

To be honest, you probably meet a ton of people around here, and maybe one person will want to be your friend. Don't take offense, it's not you, it's them. I know, I've been there. Just keep plugging away, like I said, social groups and clubs are the best bet, as you already know you have something in common with the rest of the group.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameworks View Post
Hi there!

I just recently moved to the DC area (October I moved to Fairfax, then December I moved again to Alexandria).

My problem is I don't know anybody here or what to do. I am a generally geeky-ish kind of guy (23yo male) and not very gregarious, so I don't want to do the bar thing, and I can't really figure out what else to do. I've looked at some of the meetup groups but they don't seem to be very active on weekends (I work a lot) and the singles groups seem too old for me. For example, the professionals in the city mixer events seemed like they were targeted at 30's+.

So far I've been finding myself wandering into the city to see the museums alone mostly. Ideally I'd just like to find people to do that with.

Other problem -- I don't drive, so whatever I do has to be reasonably metro-accessible. My walking limit is 2-2.5 miles.
What are your hobbies & interests. There are groups of people who share those interests. Find those groups.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:27 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Do you play any sports? Joining some sort of league is a great way to meet people in your age range. In the fall, most of the flag football games are on Saturdays and lots of times after the games people will talk about their plans for the evening. There's basketball, soccer, etc. That is a good way to meet a diverse group of people.

Also, what about people at work your age? Even just going out after for happy hours after work with your work colleagues will help you meet people and expand your social circle. Or you can just ask them what they're doing for the weekend.

Do you attend church? If so, many churches have a young adult ministry where they meet up usually monthly to go to restaurants, events, etc. so you can meet lots of younger people. If you're Catholic check your local Archdiocese (Archdiocese of Washington DC). They also have a lot of really good events throughout the year for young adults and there is usually very good turnout, so you will meet lots of young adults.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:22 PM

35 posts, read 40,844 times
I found a few "geeky" meetups that look alright. I'll try some of them out this weekend. Maybe I'll go to a Star Wars comics launch party tomorrow, haha. Also found a few groups for Chess, Go, video games, MTG, etc. That should set me up well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: