Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I 95
This. You don't even have to do moving logistics all the way to the other side of the continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Agreed that most people here suck. All people do is whine about there are no nice people but if they find you nice they're completely turned off. Being an ***hole is this city is the route to take because it's filled with them.
I second you on that one.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
I wonder what happened to the op of this thread.

Anyway though, since you don't like DC, how about checking some other nearby areas?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:35 AM

238 posts, read 326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I

I could not possibly give any less of a crap what you think about that. Stay in Boston. Drink some tea. Now that you've moved out, move on. Buh-BYE! Don't come back now, ya heah?
Typical message from the DC cheerleaders: "keep the message positive or GET OUT."

Nah, we'll describe our experience the way we want.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchaber10 View Post
I can barely save two hundred dollars a month due to the insane cost of living here and am basically living off zero interest credit cards that I carry minor balances on (only a few hundred dollars) month to month.
Hmm....I think if you are having saving issues/money issues, it'll be much worse in Los Angeles. Equally high cost of living, but not nearly as high-paying of jobs.

The LA job board complains way more about the haves/have nots. And it seems like the have-nots are way more the majority. Whereas the impression I get of DC, is the have-nots are generally in that category because of educational differences.

LA seems to be indiscriminate with have/have-nots not taking education into consideration when they divide that line down.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:41 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
It looks like a repeat of the "I don't make enough money to live like I deserve. It must be DC's fault" The poster should definitely move and make room for another higher earning resident.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:49 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
LA is actually significantly cheaper than DC (like 20% lower). Yet, federal employees make more money in LA. Go figure.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 AM

88 posts, read 116,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
LA is actually significantly cheaper than DC (like 20% lower). Yet, federal employees make more money in LA. Go figure.
Cost of living is not 20% less. It's about the same for equitable housing, when talking about renting apartments. I have not looked at real estate prices.

A one bedroom apartment in a non-fancy normal location will run $1400-$1800, $1600-2k for nicer and really nice ones in the high rises are $2-3k. Oh, and LA apartments are known to not include appliances, especially the refrigerator.

Since I just moved here, I did a lot of comparison. the newer waterfront apartments run $1800-$2200 for the low 600 sf size. Clarendon, $1700-$2400. DC overall is $1700-$2600 for smaller, older places to high rise apartments.

For living purposes, gas is about 50 cents cheaper here; groceries are about 10-20 percent cheaper here; non-fancy restaurants are about $2 less on entrée prices.

The reason why federal salary is higher in LA is because the pay scales are based on the salaries of similar jobs in the civilian sector for the locality. It IS NOT based on cost of living. Only the active duty military BAH rates are based on actual cost of housing and such because that allowance is meant to pay for housing. What that means is that LA has higher salaries than DC, which does make sense.

LA GS12 step 1: $78,186
Pay & Leave : Salaries & Wages - OPM.gov

DC GS12 step 1: $76,378
Pay & Leave : Salaries & Wages - OPM.gov

Old 02-06-2015, 08:33 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
Typical message from the DC cheerleaders: "keep the message positive or GET OUT."

Nah, we'll describe our experience the way we want.
Look, kid, the DC whiners are more than welcome to wallow in their self-imposed misery. That doesn't mean that the rest of us have to respect their inability and/or unwillingness to handle the situation and change what needs to be changed, either by reframing how they see things, branching out in their career or social circle, or, yes, leaving to go live someplace else where they will be happier. They can whine and whine and whine, and the rest of us will call it what it is: whining.

Have a nice day!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:30 PM

238 posts, read 326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Look, kid, the DC whiners are more than welcome to wallow in their self-imposed misery. That doesn't mean that the rest of us have to respect their inability and/or unwillingness to handle the situation and change what needs to be changed, either by reframing how they see things, branching out in their career or social circle, or, yes, leaving to go live someplace else where they will be happier. They can whine and whine and whine, and the rest of us will call it what it is: whining.

Have a nice day!

Yes you can whine too, you're right.

You can also talk about "the rest of us" as if you speak for a majority of some kind, and condescendingly refer to people you don't know as "kid." Both of which support many of the stereotypes previously mentioned in the thread.

Next topic: self awareness.

I WILL have a nice day. Thanks so much for your sincere sentiments. hahaha.

Last edited by scoobydew; 02-07-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: