Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:31 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,256 times

Advertisements

that everyone is asleep at 11pm here in DC.

I think the thing that I hate the most of about this city is that everyone is asleep at 10pm at the latest. For someone who thrives late at night (e.g., 3am), I hate the fact that everyone sleeps so early, and gets up so early.

I think I hate it because:

1. Everyone is adapting to the rules that you had no choice voting for.

2. If I ran the gov, or any sort of organization, this would be something that I would use to control people, just like keeping people up for 48 hours to torture people. I mean, if you get up at 5 AM, I'm pretty sure you'll sleep early to keep up with your routine.

3. I get 3 hours of sleep most of the day, because I hate the fact that I have to go to sleep so early.

4. The biggest city in the USA, and the most important one is closed at 2 AM. That's why nobody likes to come to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
Is this a joke?

Let me guess you're having relationship problems too? Because (insert ginormous group of people) are all (insert stereotype) in DC?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:18 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Is this a joke?
It is. I don't know if he's in on it or not, but it's definitely a joke.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:37 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post

I think the thing that I hate the most of about this city is that everyone is asleep at 10pm at the latest. For someone who thrives late at night (e.g., 3am), I hate the fact that everyone sleeps so early, and gets up so early.

2. If I ran the gov, or any sort of organization, this would be something that I would use to control people, just like keeping people up for 48 hours to torture people. I mean, if you get up at 5 AM, I'm pretty sure you'll sleep early to keep up with your routine.

3. I get 3 hours of sleep most of the day, because I hate the fact that I have to go to sleep so early.

4. The biggest city in the USA, and the most important one is closed at 2 AM. That's why nobody likes to come to DC.
Actually, it sounds like you hate it because you haven't figured it out. Your personal habits and sleep-deprivation aren't helping. Sounds like you might not be ready for the adult responsibilities of working a day job, too.

As for rules, what rules? DC employers offer more flextime than most, if not all, other cities except for maybe the Bay Area in California. They do it because of the traffic and the ozone days in the summer. DC also has a high rate of telecommuting for the same reasons. For more than half my career there, I never came in before 10:00 a.m. I'd hit the hay at 1:30 and get up at 8:30.

Move to San Francisco, LA, or New York. You'll be getting up at 6:00 to get to work by 8:00, and you'll be getting home at 6:30 or 7:00 and falling dead on your feet by 10:00 like everyone else. The 6:42 a.m. train is very popular where I live. There is not a lot of telecommuting and the employers want butts in seats at pretty much the same time for everyone.

As for "nobody" wanting to come to DC, that is pure delusion on your part. Sleep deprivation does that.

P.S. If you think DC actually closes down at 2:00 a.m., you don't know the right people. That's your fault, not DC's.

P.P.S. You should just move.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post

Ummm just because you're a night owl doesn't mean everybody should be. Why do I need to be out past 11 PM? The bar scene sucks no matter how you look at it.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:06 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Actually, it sounds like you hate it because you haven't figured it out. Your personal habits and sleep-deprivation aren't helping. Sounds like you might not be ready for the adult responsibilities of working a day job, too.

As for rules, what rules? DC employers offer more flextime than most, if not all, other cities except for maybe the Bay Area in California. They do it because of the traffic and the ozone days in the summer. DC also has a high rate of telecommuting for the same reasons. For more than half my career there, I never came in before 10:00 a.m. I'd hit the hay at 1:30 and get up at 8:30.

Move to San Francisco, LA, or New York. You'll be getting up at 6:00 to get to work by 8:00, and you'll be getting home at 6:30 or 7:00 and falling dead on your feet by 10:00 like everyone else. The 6:42 a.m. train is very popular where I live. There is not a lot of telecommuting and the employers want butts in seats at pretty much the same time for everyone.

As for "nobody" wanting to come to DC, that is pure delusion on your part. Sleep deprivation does that.

P.S. If you think DC actually closes down at 2:00 a.m., you don't know the right people. That's your fault, not DC's.

P.P.S. You should just move.
This is strictly an obseravation, but in your days of dreaming to finally come back to this area, and hopefully all goes well, I think you are becoming a huge DC defender and quite more aggressive in your responses. Not saying it is a bad thing. It is just an observation and intrigued in knowing where it comes from and if it is your personalty type that thrives in the DC area that elicits such emotional responses same as the other hard core defenders. I am past the state of undermining cities but am now trying to figure out why certain people respond the way they do. (there is no all people are all the same) That is the same thoughts and ideas we had before landing on the moon.

I will be heading out to california this month for a few months (work related) and looking to really do some social assessments and see how differently people respond to emotional stimulation. Also, how different are people in southern cali to people in NY/NJ, the midwest, and Miami, all places that I have lived prior to living in the DC area.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
This is strictly an obseravation, but in your days of dreaming to finally come back to this area, and hopefully all goes well, I think you are becoming a huge DC defender and quite more aggressive in your responses. Not saying it is a bad thing. It is just an observation and intrigued in knowing where it comes from and if it is your personalty type that thrives in the DC area that elicits such emotional responses same as the other hard core defenders. I am past the state of undermining cities but am now trying to figure out why certain people respond the way they do. (there is no all people are all the same) That is the same thoughts and ideas we had before landing on the moon.

I will be heading out to california this month for a few months (work related) and looking to really do some social assessments and see how differently people respond to emotional stimulation. Also, how different are people in southern cali to people in NY/NJ, the midwest, and Miami, all places that I have lived prior to living in the DC area.
I love the city. The OP doesn't. The OP should leave. People who hate where they live SHOULD LEAVE. It's really that simple.

The rest of your post is trumped-up board drama. Not interested.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:21 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I love the city. The OP doesn't. The OP should leave. People who hate where they live SHOULD LEAVE. It's really that simple.

The rest of your post is trumped-up board drama. Not interested.
It wasn't meant to start drama. I said it was an observation. When you go on your rants, I rep you for the energy and passion. However, your style of recent delivery could likewise be considered "trump-up board drama".

Again, where does your response come from after all your recent energetic posts to include some rather foul language? Why am I now starting drama? These questions aren't for you to answer but to reflect on. I am not attacking you. It's a conversation.

But with respect, from this point on, I will keep your name out of my posts and not quote you. Now we can all get along and enjoy this 100,000th I hate DC thread but not want to know why or where it comes from....

Old 02-02-2015, 12:25 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Lets review the OP:
Everyone is asleep at 11.
Everyone is asleep at 10.
Some 'no vote' remark that is apparently ignoring the existence of Home Rule.
An unintelligible comment about government control and torture.
A counter-intuitive comment about the cause of sleeping only 3 hours.
Nobody likes coming to DC (despite unprecedented population gain and 16m+ visitors annually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I think you are becoming a huge DC defender
I don't think that refuting that post is being a 'DC defender'.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Lets review the OP:
Everyone is asleep at 11.
Everyone is asleep at 10.
Some 'no vote' remark that is apparently ignoring the existence of Home Rule.
An unintelligible comment about government control and torture.
A counter-intuitive comment about the cause of sleeping only 3 hours.
Nobody likes coming to DC (despite unprecedented population gain and 16m+ visitors annually)

I don't think that refuting that post is being a 'DC defender'.
Thank you!

Frankly, I think Halfamazing is hijacking the thread by making it about other members here and not the content of the OP's post.

But you missed one: The claim that DC is the "biggest" city in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC