Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, it looks like the entry-level salary for paralegals in the Washington DC area is around $65K. That seems good enough to afford a 1-bedroom apartment on your own in many areas, I would think.

I also think the OP might want to consider going to law school in the evenings if that is of interest and especially if an employer reimburses tuition.
And you are absolutely correct. But the question must remain- does the OP want to come here because "this is one of the highest paying areas" or does he have a sincere interest in being in the Nation's capital.

I was speaking to a couple fellow Airmen during my reserve training at Andrews this weekend- whom are career veterans with experience. One is a GS-13 IT developer here in DC in his civilian job. But originally is from Southern California. He was told to come to DC by his friend because of the "jobs". His kids want to go back because they simply don't like this area and SOCal has more to offer them. He doesn't like it here and his number 1 issue was the people. He has 1 more year left on his military contract then he is going back. Problem is, he won't be able to find a GS13-14 slot as easily there as he would here. But still, it is not stopping him.

Another Airman that was part of the conversation was a Wall Street broker in NY and moved to DC for "a woman". He does not like the culture and says there isn't any hustle in this city. He trashes it every chance he gets. But, he has no choice but to stay here because his now fiancé has all her family here. So as a NY hustler, he left his job and now is selling homes in NOVA and banked $298k last year and is thriving with a few years left on his military contract. True story. But not everyone can do what he did.

So again, it is all perspective- some people come chasing the "money", women, and or experience but only go back to where they originally came from. Some stay here and thrive- it all depends on the individual. This is something that we can't determine for the OP but we can give him different views and allow him to make his own "informed" decisions.

Showing him all types of stats and sharing "great stories" is not going to land him a job or make his life any more easier by putting food on his table. It still comes down to going through the process and working your way once you get here. Some people may not want to be part of this and rather the northern nj life.

I am giving the guy options here. What is with all the advocatism and zealotism around here?

Last edited by halfamazing; 02-09-2015 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 AM

490 posts, read 649,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
And you are absolutely correct. But the question must remain- does the OP want to come here because "this is one of the highest paying areas" or does he have a sincere interest in being in the Nation's capital.

I was speaking to a couple fellow Airmen during my reserve training at Andrews this weekend- whom are career veterans with experience. One is a GS-13 IT developer here in DC in his civilian job. But originally is from Southern California. He was told to come to DC by his friend because of the "jobs". His kids want to go back because they simply don't like this area and SOCal has more to offer them. He doesn't like it here and his number 1 issue was the people. He has 1 more year left on his military contract then he is going back. Problem is, he won't be able to find a GS13-14 slot as easily there as he would here. But still, it is not stopping him.

Another Airman that was part of the conversation was a Wall Street broker in NY and moved to DC for "a woman". He does not like the culture and says there isn't any hustle in this city. He trashes it every chance he gets. But, he has no choice but to stay here because his now fiancé has all her family here.

So again, it is all perspective- some people come chasing the "money", women, and or experience but only go back to where they originally came from. Some stay here and thrive- it all depends on the individual. This is something that we can't determine for the OP but we can give him different views and allow him to make his own "informed" decisions.

Showing him all types of stats and sharing "great stories" is not going to land him a job or make his life any more easier by putting food on his table. It still comes down to going through the process and working your way once you get here. Some people may not want to be part of this and rather the northern nj life.

I am giving the guy options here. What is with all the advocatism and zealotism around here?
Not to mention there's been a ton of consolidation of the law firms around here along with the government legal work. Years ago it was probably more of a sure thing. Not so much anymore. I would recommend the OP figures out what type of work he wants to get into and if he gets a job here, what the expectations of for where it will lead career-wise. A starting paralegal could be the start of a career, but if the firms here aren't bringing up anyone from the bottom, it could be a dead-end. Not being a naysayer, just saying he should look at what career opportunities are and what the long term career goals will be.

To add to your stories about people not liking it here, my office has had a freeze on transfers for the last several years now. The results? About a 15-20% attrition rate. Some people love it here, but obviously, there's a fair share that feel like this place is not for them. Number one reason for leaving is they can't stand this area. The high COL, the traffic, the lack of personal relationships outside of the office, not to mention most are far from family has been leading to an exodus from where I work. Personally, I'm in the process for employment elsewhere. I'm going to take a 30k pay cut for a couple of years, but I couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough. As my friend, who is leaving next month just told me, the money and the title just isn't worth it to me to stay here any more.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post

To add to your stories about people not liking it here, my office has had a freeze on transfers for the last several years now. The results? About a 15-20% attrition rate. Some people love it here, but obviously, there's a fair share that feel like this place is not for them. Number one reason for leaving is they can't stand this area. The high COL, the traffic, the lack of personal relationships outside of the office, not to mention most are far from family has been leading to an exodus from where I work. Personally, I'm in the process for employment elsewhere. I'm going to take a 30k pay cut for a couple of years, but I couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough. As my friend, who is leaving next month just told me, the money and the title just isn't worth it to me to stay here any more.
Great post! I am so glad you added these specific perspectives rather than trying to sell the OP some stats. But to the other posters that think I am being a hater or naysayer

This is not about telling the OP not to come but to give him informed perspectives so that he can tag a time-line. Yes, he may want to come and shack with 4 bunk buddies then move. But others may want more stability and stay around areas they know.

OP, PM frostopsy and pick his brain. Find out why he is willing take a 30k pay cut . It's easy to read great survival stories and that some will tell you that just as much leaving are the same coming. It is also good to get the perspectives of BOTH AND ESPECIALLY those that didn't last and find out why and if their reasons match yours. Especially when some may be IN YOUR SAME LINE OF WORK......

Old 02-09-2015, 05:04 PM

35 posts, read 42,261 times
Okay! Thank you again for your detailed responses it has really helped me and given me guidance! I really appreciate it !

Old 02-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naley23 View Post
Okay! Thank you again for your detailed responses it has really helped me and given me guidance! I really appreciate it !
No sweat brother, we look out for each other.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 AM

109 posts, read 122,348 times
Follow your heart and dont listen to negative people. Just look at facts. I recently moved back to DC from NJ because guess what> where i am from in central and north jersey, rents are same as DC and quality life is not that good . For 1500 a month, you can get medicore old run down apt in NJ or here in DC a brand new apt in nice building with legitimate leasing options ( ie no slum lords). Also yes jobs are plentiful esp in law. NJ is focused on pharma and finace mainly and of course food/service. Beyond that, if you are not commuting to NYC for media/law/finance jobs, you wont find money to be worth the cost of living. I have to say though I miss the people in NJ, people in DC take themselves WAY too seriously, maybe because we are all so smart and yes perhaps half are lawyers

Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
Follow your heart and dont listen to negative people. Just look at facts. I recently moved back to DC from NJ because guess what> where i am from in central and north jersey, rents are same as DC and quality life is not that good . For 1500 a month, you can get medicore old run down apt in NJ or here in DC a brand new apt in nice building with legitimate leasing options ( ie no slum lords). Also yes jobs are plentiful esp in law. NJ is focused on pharma and finace mainly and of course food/service. Beyond that, if you are not commuting to NYC for media/law/finance jobs, you wont find money to be worth the cost of living. I have to say though I miss the people in NJ, people in DC take themselves WAY too seriously, maybe because we are all so smart and yes perhaps half are lawyers
Might you move over so I may join you in your new boat, because I'm now in the same one you were in when you were in Jersey. For the rent I'm paying now (more than what you cited):

--my commute into Manhattan would be 90 minutes each way, and that's without any delays or a subway ride on the other end
--the commuting costs would run me close to $400 a month
--I had to move this far out to find a decent complex that had central air and washer/dryers in the unit for the price, or pay a lot more for buildings that were not much newer with just as much commute hassle
--the electric bills are insane
--the only reason my heating bill is not similarly insane is because my complex uses natural gas (oil costs here are ridiculous)
--heaven forbid a landlord puts in a new carpet before a tenant moves in
--even in the "luxury" apartments they use the cheapest matte paints (prone to black mold), mediocre fixtures and blinds, and cheaply tiled floors
--no microwave
--crappy level-to-level soundproofing (fire code only requires firewalls side-to-side, so people hear everything above and below)
--lousy weather-stripping
--I had to pay not one, but two months' worth of rent as security
--racial self-segregation and racial tension
--at 48, I'm a spring chicken (sometimes I feel like I'm living in a glorified assisted-living community)

Inside the Beltway I may end up paying a couple hundred bucks more a month in rent for the places I'm looking at, but that is more than offset by:

--half the commuting time on the Metro
--less than half the commuting cost
--central air, washer/dryer, and a microwave as standard features
--garbage disposals in the sink (sewer system is too old for that where I am)
--lower electric bills per square foot
--lower heating bills per square foot
--new carpet and decent paint, with features like crown molding
--upgraded units with nice fixtures, blinds, and flooring (my last place in VA had jacuzzi jets in the tub, and the floors were marble in the entrance and stone in the kitchen)
--good soundproofing (18 inches of concrete between floors where I've lived and am looking)
--non-refundable deposit of $500 or less
--racial and cultural diversity, much more harmony
--people of all ages
--concierge service
--drycleaner and/or convenience store on the premises
--walkability
--better dating prospects, and I like the people better, including the transplants

Really, about the only thing I'm going to miss about where I live now is the landscaping. It's a wooded complex, and there is a pond at the end of my lane. We have everything from ducks and geese to spring peeper frogs, and I've even seen snakes and raccoons here. "My" cardinals have been chirping outside for almost a week now. If I end up in a high-rise, I'll miss the birds and critters.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:38 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
The one thing to note, is some people hate it in this area, some people love it. So you are going to hear very different opinions from very different people. They can either be hot or cold on how much they enjoy living here, I have never heard anybody luke warm on it. It's either Love or Hate. I am in the love it category and I am a transplant (several years ago). It should also be noted there are those living and working in NoVa, those commuting into DC and living in the suburbs, those who live in Maryland, all who post in the DC forums. I live and work in DC, even though I am near the border of Maryland, and I think the area is great. But make no mistake, I also lived in NoVa and commuted into DC. I hated NoVa and still kind of do. I LOVE DC though and my opinion of the area changed once I moved into the district, and eventually found a neighborhood I love and bought a house in it. The first question is going to be if somebody is in the hate category is whether they are living in the District, or living in NoVa, because there is a big difference between living in the city and suburbs, and even which suburb they live in. Many in the hate category live and work in the suburbs, they are not district residents. So they tend to complain about traffic. If you are complaining about traffic, you likely live in the burbs. They live in the DC area, not DC. Despite what some suburbanites think, the difference between living in the suburbs and living in the city are night and day in most cases. Sometimes the suburbs are the better option, but I do not think suburbs are the better option for young single people.
This is something which is a valid consideration, where do you want to live when you move here, if you move here. Where are you working, how are you planning to commute? They are valid questions.

DC is indeed less expensive then the NY metro area. Not much in some cases, but the living arrangements are better in many cases.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:02 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
It's a little more complicated than Nova v DC. I live closer to downtown DC than a lot of people who live in the city's boundaries.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:14 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
It's a little more complicated than Nova v DC. I live closer to downtown DC than a lot of people who live in the city's boundaries.
Parts of Arlington are bit of an exception same goes for the other contigous walkable suburbs, but it is just that, an exception. For the most part there is a very big difference. Also access to downtown is one thing, much of the difference is in the neighborhoods and the overall city itself. If you think it's just about access to downtown, you are thinking like a suburbanite. It is also what you can walk to in your own neighborhood. Do you know how I know people who live in the city, from suburbanites, most people I know who live in the city really don't complain about traffic or gas prices. If you complain about the traffic around here extensively, it's a suburbanite thing. Suburbanites are more married to thier cars, and traffic effects them. To me...my reply is "What Traffic in the area? It's not like I drive." I will complain about the metro, but that's it.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 02-11-2015 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: