Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:36 PM

35 posts, read 42,287 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! So I am currently in college majoring in legal studies to become a paralegal. After I graduate and get my paralegal certification I want to work in DC. I am from NJ and have lived here my whole life. I want to move to DC and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on job opportunities for paralegals and also where is best to live? In DC or I was looking into the northern Virginia area like Alexandria or Arlington. I would want to rent a studio/one bedroom apartment. And lastly if anyone has made the move from NJ to DC. Any insight is helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Why DC? You can be a paralegal in any number of places with a much lower cost of living. This area is much more expensive than anywhere in NJ, unless you are talking about right across the river from Manhattan (and even then DC might be more expensive). Are paralegal salaries especially high here to make up for the higher COL? I don't know but I doubt it.

Also it is a bit pointless to figure out where to live in the DC area until you know where your job will be. We have some of the longest commuting times in the country here. You will want to live somewhere convenient to your job. That could be dozens of different places.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Well yes salaries for paralegals are way higher in DC than anywhere else, with a low cost of living comes low salaries especially for paralegals. And another thing is paralegal job opportunities a harder to come by in low cost of living areas. Nothing is set in stone I am weighing options and planning out where the best place to get a good job will be.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Yes salaries are higher but higher enough to make up for the higher cost of living? Keep in mind that DC is more expensive than every city other than New York and San Francisco. Paralegal jobs can be found anywhere. I would really question that you couldn't find jobs in other big cities that pay as much or nearly as much as in DC but once you account for cheaper rent you'd come out ahead.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 AM

Okay! Thank you very much for your input! Its hard to know exactly how much more expensive DC really is because looking at statistics makes it seem easier! So I appreciate your help! I'll definitely look in other cities and check it out! And just a general question so you think if I go somewhere with lower cost of living and less salary that is better right? If I don't have to pay too much for rent and cost of living then I'll be able to come out ahead even if my salary isn't super high so it will balance out better?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:43 AM

88 posts, read 116,132 times
My advice to you would be to determine what type of paralegal work you want to do and then pursue jobs to support that wherever they are located. For instance, unless you really want to work government, policy, etc., related paralegal cases, then DC shouldn't be your first pick. If you want to live in DC because you really want to be in this city, then maybe the type of paralegal work you do is less important.

My philosophy: a job I thrive in and a location where I'll be happy.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 AM

Okay I will definitely do that, thank you so much for your input!

Old 02-06-2015, 08:51 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetiteruse View Post
My advice to you would be to determine what type of paralegal work you want to do and then pursue jobs to support that wherever they are located. For instance, unless you really want to work government, policy, etc., related paralegal cases, then DC shouldn't be your first pick. If you want to live in DC because you really want to be in this city, then maybe the type of paralegal work you do is less important.

My philosophy: a job I thrive in and a location where I'll be happy.
I disagree. There are plenty of paralegal jobs in all areas of law in the DC area. Don't forget that policy work is related to law in all other fields, including corporate, malpractice, environmental, trade and communications, etc. DC has the highest number of lawyers per capita in the country, and those lawyers need paralegals.

Highest paying cities for paralegals and legal assistants - USAWage.com

OP, you may need a roommate the first couple of years if those salaries are any indication, but so do most people starting out in the area. If you're just getting out of school, I'm assuming you're young, so Arlington or Alexandria on the Virginia side, Bethesda on the Maryland side, if you don't want to live in DC proper.

Or you can go in on a group house.

Or, if you have a car, you can go further out, but yes, the commutes can be ugly.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
I would suggest just living in DC. You won't need a car..... Plus you can get a roomate. You can always go to Arlington just 5 mins away without living there.

We should all encourage growth inside of the city for singles instead of the suburbs. Unless you have a family or a job in the burbs I don't see the point.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naley23 View Post
Okay! Thank you very much for your input! Its hard to know exactly how much more expensive DC really is because looking at statistics makes it seem easier! So I appreciate your help! I'll definitely look in other cities and check it out! And just a general question so you think if I go somewhere with lower cost of living and less salary that is better right? If I don't have to pay too much for rent and cost of living then I'll be able to come out ahead even if my salary isn't super high so it will balance out better?
The higher cost-of-living is not offset by the higher salaries. You should know that before you move. A studio here starts at $1200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: