Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 PM

8 posts, read 26,636 times

Advertisements

Thanks a lot to everyone who have replied. Few more queries. Is 15 days time good enough to find an apartment in the DC suburbs (Company will provide me a 15 days hotel accomodation). Depending on this I will decide whether to bring my kid and spouse along with me or call them later.
2. What is the best way to find an accomodation , thorugh online or agents?
3. What is the minimum duration for which I can sign the contract with the land lord.
4. Since I have a kid, do I need to take a 2 Room apartment , or I can manage with 1 single room.
5. My office is on 10th St NW, Washington
6.What is the advance & Commission that I need to pay for the apartment that I rent.

Thanks once again to all the members who have responded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:09 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
May interest the OP to see maps of a NoVa suburb (Fairfax County) that shows concentrations of students speaking Hindi or Urdu at home:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrp...msch-hindi.pdf

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrp...emsch-urdu.pdf

The more affordable areas with a concentration of Hindi speakers will either be older apartments near Tysons, or in Herndon or Centreville.

I believe that eastern Loudoun County - Ashburn, in particular, has many Indian residents.
Interesting maps that I've never seen! Pretty much confirms what I thought was true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Not exactly true. Many other suburbs have huge Indian populations.

In VA: Vienna, Fairfax, Falls Church (the part bordering with Merrifield), the Tysons area in general, and then the farther out suburbs of Western Fairfax and Loudoun counties have massive Indian populations (although not ideal for commuting to DC, but many of those ppl do so).
I wouldn't really think of any of those as enclaves though like Herndon is. Although I did forget to mention Tysons. I didn't realize there were that many Indians in Centreville. Just though that was a Korean enclave. All of Northern Virginia is so diverse that it's hard to differentiate between NOVA's diversity and an actual enclave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtiRathor View Post
Thanks a lot to everyone who have replied. Few more queries. Is 15 days time good enough to find an apartment in the DC suburbs (Company will provide me a 15 days hotel accomodation). Depending on this I will decide whether to bring my kid and spouse along with me or call them later.
2. What is the best way to find an accomodation , thorugh online or agents?
3. What is the minimum duration for which I can sign the contract with the land lord.
4. Since I have a kid, do I need to take a 2 Room apartment , or I can manage with 1 single room.
5. My office is on 10th St NW, Washington
6.What is the advance & Commission that I need to pay for the apartment that I rent.

Thanks once again to all the members who have responded.
1. 15 days is plenty of time.
2. Do it yourself online.
3. Most places are 12 months. 6 Months are sometimes allowed. Month-to-month rarely.
4. You're legally allowed to have a 1 BR apartment for two people. It's up to decide if you want to do that.
5. The Orange and Silver Lines both go between Fairfax County (Reston, Vienna, etc) to 10th street NW.
6. I don't know.

An apartment in the Reston/Herndon area would probably be most affordable and you wouldn't be a far drive from Wiehle-Reston East Metro station on the Silver Line.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 26,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Interesting maps that I've never seen! Pretty much confirms what I thought was true.

I wouldn't really think of any of those as enclaves though like Herndon is. Although I did forget to mention Tysons. I didn't realize there were that many Indians in Centreville. Just though that was a Korean enclave. All of Northern Virginia is so diverse that it's hard to differentiate between NOVA's diversity and an actual enclave.

1. 15 days is plenty of time.
2. Do it yourself online.
3. Most places are 12 months. 6 Months are sometimes allowed. Month-to-month rarely.
4. You're legally allowed to have a 1 BR apartment for two people. It's up to decide if you want to do that.
5. The Orange and Silver Lines both go between Fairfax County (Reston, Vienna, etc) to 10th street NW.
6. I don't know.

An apartment in the Reston/Herndon area would probably be most affordable and you wouldn't be a far drive from Wiehle-Reston East Metro station on the Silver Line.
Thanks for the informative reply. Can you please recommend some trusted and genuine online sites for apartment search and how much do they charge.
if i catch hold of an agent then how much does he charge?
What is the advance( like 1 month rent + 1 month advance) that land lord takes in starting

Old 02-11-2015, 07:35 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Thanks for the informative reply. Can you please recommend some trusted and genuine online sites for apartment search and how much do they charge.
if i catch hold of an agent then how much does he charge?
What is the advance( like 1 month rent + 1 month advance) that land lord takes in starting

Start with Craigslist

Also its hard to say what the advance/security deposit will be. It could be the fully one months rent, or it varies. Plan on putting close to $1000 minimum for the deposit

Old 02-11-2015, 08:00 PM

And as gomason said, stick to online sites. Not worth going thru an agent for a rental

Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
1. I think 15 days will be fine, as long as you start setting up your appointments in advance (before you arrive).
2. I recommend using both. Check ads on Craigslist first. Then search for property management companies and see what homes they have available. I can PM you one that I rented through for a number of years.
3. Most leases will be for 1 year.
4. I recommend a 2 bedroom since your kid is school age.
5. 10th St NW runs through a few different neighborhoods, but I'm guessing your office will be downtown. Traffic here is bad, so knowing if you'll be bus/metro-ing or driving to work and what metro stop will be important in picking where to live.
6.You'll typically need a 1 month deposit plus your first month's rent.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:25 AM

76 posts, read 180,741 times
2. Craigslist is a very good resource, but keep in mind that there are scammer who use craigslist. I have rented 4 apartments in the DC-area from CL, and I recommend it. But since you're coming from overseas, it might be hard to spot a scam. As long as you actually visit a place before renting, you can avoid these.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Hi,

I will be soon moving to DC from india and need to know which part of DC do indians prefer to live. I will be moving with my family and a school going kid. My work location will be DC and do not mind traveling, BUdget < $2000
Is this question for real? I never knew Indians lived in a certain area of DC. A friend of mine lives in Mount Vernon and she is Indian.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:08 PM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
Lots of Indians residing in Montgomery County thanks to the biotech business cluster and the National Institutes of Health. Indians with a more computer science/IT oriented career usually settle in Fairfax County, VA where most of the tech startups and contractors have their company offices. Just like most people, they prefer to live closer to their jobs.

One area where Washington, DC fails miserably compared to the suburbs: building a melting pot of vibrant ethnic culture. We have upper, middle class whites and working class blacks...and not much in between. That's not a sign of a racially and ethnically healthy community to me.

It's no wonder yuppie District residents are trekking out to the Burbs for authentic ethnic cuisine whether it be Ethiopian, (real) Chinese, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Salvadoran, Korean, Iranian, Brazilian etc and etc.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Lots of Indians residing in Montgomery County thanks to the biotech business cluster and the National Institutes of Health. Indians with a more computer science/IT oriented career usually settle in Fairfax County, VA where most of the tech startups and contractors have their company offices. Just like most people, they prefer to live closer to their jobs.

One area where Washington, DC fails miserably compared to the suburbs: building a melting pot of vibrant ethnic culture. We have upper, middle class whites and working class blacks...and not much in between. That's not a sign of a racially and ethnically healthy community to me.

It's no wonder yuppie District residents are trekking out to the Burbs for authentic ethnic cuisine whether it be Ethiopian, (real) Chinese, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Salvadoran, Korean, Iranian, Brazilian etc and etc.

Ethiopian/Eritrean food is still pretty damn authentic and good in DC.

Everything else I agree, the suburbs offer the real deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: