Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 03:04 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,156,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ I hope you two are females, because if not............................................... .

What on earth does gender have to do with anything? You do know that men uproot for women, too. Plenty of that on the Relationships forum, as well. Newsflash: The man's career is not always the most lucrative or important one. In my case, one was a Marine and the other was in law enforcement. Neither really had/have the freedom to move about the country like a freelance writer does (although at the time I moved to NY, I had a job in publishing in Manhattan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 04:01 PM

490 posts, read 647,091 times
Hey, I'm not saying it's impossible to find love here. I did after all(and yes, she said wherever my career takes me she's fine with leaving), so I think that was more of a counter argument to what the headline suggests. I found it on Drudge, which has a larger audience than someone just browsing the Washington post, so it seemed worthy to share on here.

I was just offering some of my personal dating experiences. It seems like dating here, if you are career orientated is a bit difficult. I ran the gamut of the dating world in DC (the city). There is a large amount of people so involved with work/causes, that it made dating almost a second thought. You would be surprised the amount of homesick transplants you would find out in the dating world. And yes, a few of them did pack their bags. It's a transient city after all. I can go on with stories, but they are probably boring.

There are a lot of posts on here about "dc sucks for men" or "women over 35" and the such. I can only suggest it sucks if you don't have patience to find the right person and look in the right places.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What on earth does gender have to do with anything? You do know that men uproot for women, too. Plenty of that on the Relationships forum, as well. Newsflash: The man's career is not always the most lucrative or important one. In my case, one was a Marine and the other was in law enforcement. Neither really had/have the freedom to move about the country like a freelance writer does (although at the time I moved to NY, I had a job in publishing in Manhattan).
I agree with that one. I have a good friend that just moved out west for his wife and her career. I know someone else that moved out here chasing a girlfriend. People do things for different reasons, I don't think who follows who matters all that much any more.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:04 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,348,386 times
It's a great city for hooking up, FWB and one-night stands though

Old 02-14-2015, 12:58 PM

Looking for Love in All the Right Places ‹ Zillow Real Estate Research

There's the data.

You can also look it up on city Data's actual websites. This area does have a large number of single people. And a large number of divorcees. That would seem to indicate a not so great dating experience. Or maybe that's just my conclusion.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:08 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,447,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
Looking for Love in All the Right Places ‹ Zillow Real Estate Research

There's the data.

You can also look it up on city Data's actual websites.
There was no question of where to look up the data. I referenced the data points used in the 'study' in my first post.

There is a question of how that data can be interpreted to conclude that DC is loveless. I also asked that question in my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
This area does have a large number of single people. And a large number of divorcees. That would seem to indicate a not so great dating experience. Or maybe that's just my conclusion.
Washington DC ranks at almost the bottom of the list for divorce rates among states. I'm not a fan of state-district comparissons, but that's often the easiest to access. Mens Health aggregated the divorce rates of the top 100 largest cities in the US, and Washington DC still ranks in the lowest quartile for divorce rate. That does not seem to support your conclusion.

In the 'study' they count any non-married individual as singles. So DC's percentage of 'singles' in the index is really the percentage of unmarried. It is not a measure of who is in a relationship and who is not. Our percentage is high comparatively, but it cannot be inferred that it is an indication of a bad dating scene. Indeed it does not even reflect who is 'dating'.

Given that statistically people get married later in life in urban areas, and that DC has a very low median age, you may hypothesize that those trends and demographics would explain a high percentage of unmarried people in DC (or in the case of the study, 'single people'), but you'd have to drill down on that to make any conclusion. At least something like that can be measured.

I see no statistical foundation for concluding this data means that DC has a bad dating scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
I just discussed the "data" and the lack of it, and you went on a diatribe without even addressing the points I made. Practice what you preach.
I did not engage in a diatribe, and you did not discuss the data.

First you incorrectly stated that the study based its rankings on "there are a lot of single people living there". The 'study' based its rankings on a blended index of percentage of unmarried individuals, percentage of unmarried residents who moved to DC from outside the District in the last year, date spots per 10,000 residents, and a calculation of disposable income. So immigration, affluence and availability of restaurants, bars etc were taken into account, not just a lot of single people.

Then you quoted from the article; ironically a quote that referred to a supposition as "fact".

Then you offered an anecdote.

You never touched on data in any accurate way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
And, please, take a deeeeeeep breath and try not to be so UPTIGHT over frivolity. Lovely DC.
I recommend you stop typing in all caps and elongated words if you intend to suggest that it is me, and not you, who are engaging in a diatribe and needs to take a deep breath. Try to stay on topic if you're able.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,447,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I will hold back and cover the rear quietly. Points have a way of being made on their own.
What point is made when someone favors one version of editorial commentary that most appeals to their preconceived notions and cannot hack it through a profoundly basic conversation about the underlying data?

What point is made when someone cannot answer a basic question about the data?

What point is made when someone makes up data to support their position (eg proportion of DC divorcees)?

What point is made when this all happens on a forum that (ostensibly) focuses on data?

I don't particularly agree with the comments telling people to hit the road (although for some who have complained about living here for 5+ years ad nauseam it might be a good suggestion). I also don't agree with deliberately ignoring data to preserve an entrenched perspective. The internet is brimming with forums for malcontents to commiserate about failures in dating, where anecdote is king. I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore that some people don't know anything else.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:01 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,957,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
What point is made when someone favors one version of editorial commentary that most appeals to their preconceived notions and cannot hack it through a profoundly basic conversation about the underlying data?.
I think you are absolutely correct in everything you pointed out. And you know what, at this point for me it's not even so much about what DC is or isn't. It has all been said before and the true way to determine one's own reality of social intelligence in a given place is to employ the greatest number of personal social interactions. In this case it would be "love in DC". Therefore, if a person feels a certain way based on their interactions in a city and their findings, whether positive or negative, just so happen to correlate with many others or even a blog, they should go with that.

But I am more fascinated in the fact that I beginning to learn the different ways of thinking on this forum. I am learning that to simply go off what an article states without providing or even skipping valuable data to prove a point is guaranteed to get backlash by the more sensible types like you- and reasonably so. Of course there are the extreme defenders as there are extreme haters.

And this is the disconnect I speak about and now I am realizing it is not such a bad thing because it is obvious that it's simply different ways of internalizing information. Many people in this area rely on statistics and data- unfortunately, it may come across as being sensitive or defensive by those that don't think that you can simply plug quantities and arrive at a standardized result. But in reality, it's how different people process information...

Old 02-16-2015, 09:02 PM

417 posts, read 590,760 times
DC is a terrible place for women to find love due to the ratio of single men to single women. Men have their pick in DC but women have to settle for anything they can get. People that are married normally move to DC married or move with their significant other. Single men in DC are so self absorbed they only look for a woman like "Amal." If you are a single woman moving to DC and hope to find love stay far, far, far away. Forget about friends introducing you to single men because more than likely they are single also and would never introduce you to men. Married people in DC assume if you are single in DC that you are out partying every night when in reality you are sitting in an apartment alone or with roommates because you can't afford to go out. That shows you the amount of intelligence that people have in this ridiculous town.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,743,257 times
Funny thing about that article was

1. Washington DC. - Nobody gets married until their mid 30's or later, and may or may not have kids (Idiocracy the movie all over again).

2. Atlanta - Everyone gets married right after college, have few kids, and divorced by 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC