Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:49 PM

38 posts, read 57,743 times

Advertisements

I'm now having second thoughts about my current living arrangement. I recently signed a two-year lease for an apartment in Rockville, M.D., but I'm not really happy with my decision. Initially, I reasoned that it was a good decision, since my job is very close by and I was able to get a two bedroom/two bath (I live alone) at a very good rental rate in a new building within walking distance to the metro.

Irrespective of my spacious apartment, I kind of wish that I signed either a 1 year or two year lease for a modern apartment on U Street. I really like the idea of living in DC and I'm a bit upset with myself for not moving into the district.

I can't get out of my lease at this point, so I'd like to live vicariously through current city data DC residents. What do you enjoy most about residing in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 03:21 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
What I enjoy the most is being a quick cab ride away from more bars, restaurants, music venues, theater events, etc. than I even have time to visit, and I never have to be watching the clock for when the Metro is going to close. Cab fare from DC to suburbs like Rockville is very expensive.

HOWEVER, if your job is in Rockville, you might be better off staying there and just visiting DC on weekends. That's what I would probably do if I worked in Rockville. It saves more time to have a shorter commute than it does to have a shorter trip to entertainment because the commute is five days a week. Also, the lower housing costs in Rockville might mean that even if you take that expensive cab ride a few times a month, you might still save money compared to if you paid the higher rents in the city proper. Of course that depends on a lot of factors.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 PM

I should also add that there are parts of DC that are a pretty fast commute to Rockville that you could consider. For example Cleveland Park is a nice neighborhood with a bunch of bars and restaurants and is also close to busier parts of DC, but is only about a 20-minute Metro ride to Rockville. If your job isn't close to a Metro stop, however, then that commute could be a hassle.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
What I enjoy the most is being a quick cab ride away from more bars, restaurants, music venues, theater events, etc. than I even have time to visit, and I never have to be watching the clock for when the Metro is going to close. Cab fare from DC to suburbs like Rockville is very expensive.
I'm not one for bars or clubs (because I don't drink), but I enjoy attending performances at the Kennedy Center, Bohemian Caverns, and other venues throughout the city. Typically, I take the metro to those destinations and I'm usually back home no later than 12am, but I wouldn't mind being out a little later on the weekends, if I lived in the city.
Quote:
HOWEVER, if your job is in Rockville, you might be better off staying there and just visiting DC on weekends. That's what I would probably do if I worked in Rockville. It saves more time to have a shorter commute than it does to have a shorter trip to entertainment because the commute is five days a week. Also, the lower housing costs in Rockville might mean that even if you take that expensive cab ride a few times a month, you might still save money compared to if you paid the higher rents in the city proper. Of course that depends on a lot of factors.
My job is currently in Rockville (and within walking distance to my apartment), but I'd like to transfer to my organization's DC office, all in preparation for moving to DC, once my lease ends. Living in Rockville, next to a metro stop, is simply not the same as living in the district. My one hesitation though is parking. I'd like to keep my car (it's basically brand new) when I relocate to D.C., but I know my insurance will increase substantially.

As an aside, my housing costs are not drastically cheaper. I pay around $1875 per month w/ parking, but I lucked up because I was able to lock in a "winter special" deal for a two bedroom-two bath unit. I realize however that if I moved to D.C., I wouldn't have as much space (I'll miss my home office). More than likely, I'd have only a 650 sq ft 1-bedroom apartment for around 2k per month, but I'm ok with that. I'm simply tired of living in a sleepy suburb.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I should also add that there are parts of DC that are a pretty fast commute to Rockville that you could consider. For example Cleveland Park is a nice neighborhood with a bunch of bars and restaurants and is also close to busier parts of DC, but is only about a 20-minute Metro ride to Rockville. If your job isn't close to a Metro stop, however, then that commute could be a hassle.
Thanks for the advice, but I have my heart set on the U-Street corridor.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:01 PM

A car is more of a burden than an asset if you are living near U St. You won't need or want it to get around the neighborhood because it's so walkable and parking is so scarce. Street parking can be practically impossible to find depending on the time and day of the week. Off-street parking is very expensive, hundreds of dollars per month to rent a space - it would be probably cheaper to just use Zipcar for the times when you do need a car, or rent a car for road trips.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:11 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Apartments in the U Street Corridor go for more than $2K these days (the lowest I have seen for U Street NW is $2.5K for a 1 BR). Never mind the cost for parking. There are other neighborhoods within walking distance from there though like Columbia Heights. The point is to keep in mind not only the neighborhood you like, but what is close by.

I get the desire to move in this area, I used to live downtown myself. I still live in the city, but now in more of a residential neighborhood. The one thing to consider though is the cost, while prices have leveled out around the DC area, they have not done so in Logan circle or U Street. If anything these places are more expensive than ever.

I would say if you are thinking of moving into the city it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the neighborhoods, their safety, and their price points. While you may think you can get something in a specific price range, that may not be the case. Living within walking distance from an area can be something that is just as desired as living in that particular neighborhood.

I love living in DC myself, but I also live in one of the residential neighborhoods bordering the Maryland suburbs in NW. This was intentional, the noise from living downtown can be a bit much, and getting someplace within a half hour is all I really want, especially with the bars and restaurants I can walk to from my house in or close to my own neighborhood. Believe it or not there is a happy medium between living downtown and living in a sleepy further removed suburb.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Apartments in the U Street Corridor go for more than $2K these days (the lowest I have seen for U Street NW is $2.5K for a 1 BR). Never mind the cost for parking. There are other neighborhoods within walking distance from there though like Columbia Heights. The point is to keep in mind not only the neighborhood you like, but what is close by.

I get the desire to move in this area, I used to live downtown myself. I still live in the city, but now in more of a residential neighborhood. The one thing to consider though is the cost, while prices have leveled out around the DC area, they have not done so in Logan circle or U Street. If anything these places are more expensive than ever.

I would say if you are thinking of moving into the city it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the neighborhoods, their safety, and their price points. While you may think you can get something in a specific price range, that may not be the case. Living within walking distance from an area can be something that is just as desired as living in that particular neighborhood.

I love living in DC myself, but I also live in one of the residential neighborhoods bordering the Maryland suburbs in NW. This was intentional, the noise from living downtown can be a bit much, and getting someplace within a half hour is all I really want, especially with the bars and restaurants I can walk to from my house in or close to my own neighborhood. Believe it or not there is a happy medium between living downtown and living in a sleepy further removed suburb.
If one signs a lease in the Fall, Spring or Summer, the rental prices will typically be more expensive than at the start of the winter season.

Anyhow, at the moment, the Ellington (on U Street) has a few one-bedroom units for $2,002. The apartments are small, but definitely doable. I can't say with certainty if I'd live at the Ellington, because if I could find something a little more spacious (3 or 4 blocks away)with similar building amenities, I'd certainly consider my options.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
The seasonality won't matter much in supply-constrained parts of DC such as U Street or Logan Circle. The fact of the matter is that even though rents have stabilised in much of the District (not face rents, but rather effective rents since more landlords are giving out free months), U Street and Logan Circle continue to see strong growth. A new, Class A apartment building will see studios start at $1,900, likely $2,000. The Ellington is older in terms of inventory and as a result will have slightly cheaper rents, but keep in mind that there's a ~2% annual escalation.

Commuting to Rockville won't be fun from U Street; stick to the Red Line and you're better off. If you work in a Metro-accessible location, then you'll either 1) have to make a circuitous loop at Gallery Place that adds unreliability or 2) trudge over to Dupont or take a congested circulator trip to Woodley Park. If you're driving, then you encounter the fact that it's quite irritating to get to western Montgomery County because you'll have to go through Dupont onto Connecticut and then face the most congested section of the street with one fewer lane than normal because you're going against the flow of traffic. I'd agree with the Woodley Park and Cleveland Park suggestions if you're bent on living in the District, especially if you're driving. If you can Metro to work, I'd also look into NoMa, since you'll be able to get a brand-new apartment with a few more free months than usual since demand is slower.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
You should've rented one of the new apartments right next to PG plaza station. It's right on the green line and only a 15-20 minute subway from U street, Columbia Heights, and not too much further from downtown (Gallery Place). Not all of PG county is ghetto especially the northern part of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC