Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:00 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
From my house in the District, it's an hour to Dulles and 45 minutes to BWI. You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts.
That was the single dumbest thing I have ever heard anyone say. It is my opinion. & from a central point in DC, those facts are also true. You must live in upper NE or SE for it to make more sense for you to go to BWI. For me it makes more sense to go to Dulles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 05:22 PM

113 posts, read 186,393 times
As a suburbanite on the MD side of DC, I used to go to Dulles because BWI and DCA were a PITA to get to. Since the ICC opened, BWI is a piece of cake, flights are generally cheaper than Dulles, and I'm able to get nonstops places I want/need to go. Many other Maryland folks feel the same way.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Even when the Silver Line makes it to Dulles, the walk from the platforms will be the equivalent of three football fields.

From here in Silver Spring, it's so easy to take the Red Line to the Blue Line and be right in front of National Airport, or take it to the Green/Yellow Line to Greenbelt to get the bus to BWI. For Virginians, it's a blessing, I'm sure, and nobody would want to go from Chantilly to BWI for a flight.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Even when the Silver Line makes it to Dulles, the walk from the platforms will be the equivalent of three football fields.

From here in Silver Spring, it's so easy to take the Red Line to the Blue Line and be right in front of National Airport, or take it to the Green/Yellow Line to Greenbelt to get the bus to BWI. For Virginians, it's a blessing, I'm sure, and nobody would want to go from Chantilly to BWI for a flight.
The silver line station will be at parking garage 1.
http://living-in-washingtondc.com/im...arking-map.jpg
as you can see it isn't that far & everyone who parks their daily does it
After Silver Line opens to Dulles, it will be cheaper & more efficient for you to take silver line all the way there vs taking yellow line to greenbelt & then on to a bus to BWI

Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
The silver line station will be at parking garage 1.
http://living-in-washingtondc.com/im...arking-map.jpg
as you can see it isn't that far & everyone who parks their daily does it
After Silver Line opens to Dulles, it will be cheaper & more efficient for you to take silver line all the way there vs taking yellow line to greenbelt & then on to a bus to BWI
According to the WMTA's site, it takes 67 minutes to get from Silver Spring to Reston (four stops before the planned stop for Dulles), but 23 minutes to get to Greenbelt. That means the bus time would need to be more than 50 minutes in order to break even with the Silver line. The B30 schedule gives a travel time of 20-30 minutes.

The bus could obviously be late, but there could also be a back up in the Rosslyn Tunnel. The bus stops right in front, not three football fields away.

Again, in my post, I didn't take shots at Dulles, and (despite what other posters have said) I still maintain that it's needed, but from where I am, it doesn't work as well. I used timetables instead of subjective estimates.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
According to the WMTA's site, it takes 67 minutes to get from Silver Spring to Reston (four stops before the planned stop for Dulles), but 23 minutes to get to Greenbelt. That means the bus time would need to be more than 50 minutes in order to break even with the Silver line. The B30 schedule gives a travel time of 20-30 minutes.

The bus could obviously be late, but there could also be a back up in the Rosslyn Tunnel. The bus stops right in front, not three football fields away.

Again, in my post, I didn't take shots at Dulles, and (despite what other posters have said) I still maintain that it's needed, but from where I am, it doesn't work as well. I used timetables instead of my subjective estimates.
I know you didn't take shots at Dulles, & I wasn't referring to time, my wording was a bit confusing. I meant that going to BWI via metro & bus would cost about 2x as much as taking the silver line to Dulles, & you would have to deal with transferring from metro to bus.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:14 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
From my house in the District, it's an hour to Dulles and 45 minutes to BWI. You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts.
Last time I checked not everyone lives in the same part of DC. For someone in Foggy Bottom, it's way closer to Dulles than someone upper Northeast.

Quote:
Oh no! Not a 5 minute walk for the whole two tenths of a mile with movable walkways underground! It took me like 20 minutes to walk from baggage claim in London's Heathrow Airport to the train station for comparison.

The outcry over MWAA moving the station 1200 feet baffled me. Our country is so fat, we should probably have a policy that subway stations shouldn't be within .3 miles of the terminal.

Last edited by gomason; 02-27-2015 at 06:23 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 08:20 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
That was the single dumbest thing I have ever heard anyone say. It is my opinion. & from a central point in DC, those facts are also true. You must live in upper NE or SE for it to make more sense for you to go to BWI. For me it makes more sense to go to Dulles
I live just off 16th street a few blocks from Military. If I lived in NE or SE it would be even quicker due to access to 295. Maybe you should stick to the Virginia forum. You clearly have little understanding of the District.

If you like Dulles, go for it. I always choose National if it's an option. BWI is my second choice, especially because Southwest often has great fares and they are so much more competent than any of the Dulles airlines. When I travel internationally, it depends upon where I'm going. The airline is much more important than the airport.

BTW, I don't do it anymore, but for 30 years I logged 100,000 miles a year on airplanes. I know the commute times to the airports.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
I live just off 16th street a few blocks from Military. If I lived in NE or SE it would be even quicker due to access to 295. Maybe you should stick to the Virginia forum. You clearly have little understanding of the District.

If you like Dulles, go for it. I always choose National if it's an option. BWI is my second choice, especially because Southwest often has great fares and they are so much more competent than any of the Dulles airlines. When I travel internationally, it depends upon where I'm going. The airline is much more important than the airport.

BTW, I don't do it anymore, but for 30 years I logged 100,000 miles a year on airplanes. I know the commute times to the airports.
Except that Google Maps says that it would be the same 35 mins from Eastern Market to BWI or Dulles......

That's fine that you like BWI more. Some people in this thread are so blinded by their bias that they can think logically. My favorite is "The Silver Line will be no better than transit access at BWI."

Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Except that Google Maps says that it would be the same 35 mins from Eastern Market to BWI or Dulles......

That's fine that you like BWI more. Some people in this thread are so blinded by their bias that they can think logically. My favorite is "The Silver Line will be no better than transit access at BWI."
My "bias" is based upon flying 40+ weeks per year for 30 years.

I haven't ever driven Eastern Market to either airport, but you are right, it makes it a quicker trip to Dulles as well as a faster trip to BWI. The other poster is still wrong about his time estimates. My seat of the pants observation is that I-66 is more likely to be congested when I'm headed to the airport than I-95, but both are problematic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC