Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
prove it.
First off, very few cities in the United States are actually 400 years old, so right there you over exaggerated. Most cities in the US were not built by slave labor either. The major government buildings in DC were primarily built by slaves, but I am willing to bet over 90% of buildings in DC were built by people of all races being paid to build those buildings. Let's remember that blacks only had the majority in the city for about 50 years, out of the city's 200 year history, so to say blacks built DC is a total misconception. For the most part, blacks leaving the northeast corridor aren't doing it because they can't afford to stay there, but rather are moving south in order to be closer to family. I am not saying you are 100% wrong, but you are using bold rhetoric that simply isn't true & weakens your argument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:31 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
First off, very few cities in the United States are actually 400 years old, so right there you over exaggerated. Most cities in the US were not built by slave labor either. The major government buildings in DC were primarily built by slaves, but I am willing to bet over 90% of buildings in DC were built by people of all races being paid to build those buildings. Let's remember that blacks only had the majority in the city for about 50 years, out of the city's 200 year history, so to say blacks built DC is a total misconception. For the most part, blacks leaving the northeast corridor aren't doing it because they can't afford to stay there, but rather are moving south in order to be closer to family. I am not saying you are 100% wrong, but you are using bold rhetoric that simply isn't true & weakens your argument
You are correct most major US cities aren't 400 years old, but slavery only ended a little more than 150 years ago. Ironically, there quite a few US major cities on east of the Mississippi and South of the Mason-Dixon line that are a ranging between 150-200 years in age, so there are some cities that are direct result of slavery and dual-system of the nation existed until 50 years. There is only some truth to your statement, but there is some truth to 11KAP statements as well. To ignore this fact that maybe not only slavery, but the marginalization of black Amercians did allow a number of US major cities to be constructed and/or economically sustained is intelligently dishonest and negligent.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You are correct most major US cities aren't 400 years old, but slavery only ended a little more than 150 years ago. Ironically, there quite a few US major cities on east of the Mississippi and South of the Mason-Dixon line that are a ranging between 150-200 years in age, so there are some cities that are direct result of slavery and dual-system of the nation existed until 50 years. There is only some truth to your statement, but there is some truth to 11KAP statements as well. To ignore this fact that maybe not only slavery, but the marginalization of black Amercians did allow a number of US major cities to be constructed and/or economically sustained is intelligently dishonest and negligent.
This.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
but to say black people built the cities is wrong. Most slave labor was in the fields, not on the streets. However yes, black people were desperate for jobs & took low wage working jobs such as maids, butlers, bartenders, etc. which helped sustain white society. I never said blacks weren't marginalized either, if you read the original post you will see that 11KAP stated that black people built the cities & are now being pushed out of them, which isn't supported by any truth

Old 03-18-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
but to say black people built the cities is wrong. Most slave labor was in the fields, not on the streets. However yes, black people were desperate for jobs & took low wage working jobs such as maids, butlers, bartenders, etc. which helped sustain white society. I never said blacks weren't marginalized either, if you read the original post you will see that 11KAP stated that black people built the cities & are now being pushed out of them, which isn't supported by any truth
What do you think "built the cities" mean? Literal, in the exclusive sense. No, it is a double entendre meaning most of the basic things that makes many cities what they are was done by black Americans. Yes, many blacks whom tend to be middle class and working class are being pushed out of cities economically by rising housing prices and lack of affordable housing choices.

We cannot deny this because many black Americans like others would like to remain in these cities as well, but are priced out.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
What do you think "built the cities" mean? Literal, in the exclusive sense. No, it is a double entendre meaning most of the basic things that makes many cities what they are was done by black Americans. Yes, many blacks whom tend to be middle class and working class are being pushed out of cities economically by rising housing prices and lack of affordable housing choices.

We cannot deny this because many black Americans like others would like to remain in these cities as well, but are priced out.
When he said "built the cities" i thought he meant both literal, & cultural. neither of which is true. but they did help with the upkeep of the daily lives of the people who were running the cities, so i guess you could say they built the cities. but it seems like an over statement to me

Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
When he said "built the cities" i thought he meant both literal, & cultural. neither of which is true. but they did help with the upkeep of the daily lives of the people who were running the cities, so i guess you could say they built the cities. but it seems like an over statement to me
Those are the people that if they all were (able to) walk away (at that time), the operation of those cities would essentially came to a halt. Similar to what has happened in recent years with recent immigrants protesting and refusing to work agrarian jobs thus seriously impairing the farming industries.

Yes, black Americans did "build" those particular US major cities. It might seem like an overstatement to you, but you have to look it in a more objective context and realize it is quite accurate.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Those are the people that if they all were (able to) walk away (at that time), the operation of those cities would essentially came to a halt. Similar to what has happened in recent years with recent immigrants protesting and refusing to work agrarian jobs thus seriously impairing the farming industries.

Yes, black Americans did "build" those particular US major cities. It might seem like an overstatement to you, but you have to look it in a more objective context and realize it is quite accurate.
I believe it's an over reach. Many immigrants worked the construction trade in the Northeastern cities. Especially in the skilled trades.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Quote:

The district is not 400 years old per se, but the east coast is from about Georgia all the way to Boston, Mass. You and I know the foundation of DC, about 225 years old, was built by blacks, so don't even go there. You can't say for a fact why some blacks are moving to the south either, but I don't have time to argue with you, since you don't really agree with me anyway.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Jurai Knight View Post
It's actually part of a national trend of black people leaving the northern cities and moving south.

This is pure, unfiltered BS. I can guarantee that most black americans from the Northeast, DC included, will stay put, so get over your self. You will have a severe problem on your hands, if you are prone to think otherwise.

Where do white people get this frikkin nonsense from anyway? I swear, some of you really think you're all that but really are nothing but maggots and louses, man.

Smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: