Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 03:25 PM

89 posts, read 216,477 times

Advertisements

I heard their was an ESPN Zone that closed like back in 2007...due to financial issues. But I look around D.C because I've been their once in my life, and see theirs very little entertainment to do for young adults, or fun things to do indoors or outdoors....I know six flags America is in Upper Marlboro,MD but I've heard good things and bad things about the park...can anyone tell me why D.C/Baltimore lacks a big theme park that welcomes guests not only from the Dc.md area but from all over the country, like Busch gardens Williamsburg for instance? Just heard the park really isn't that good at all, theirs been reports of stabbing Incidents, guns found in the park, gangs spotted walking around Six Flags-why is that? Is the park really that unsafe? If the rumors are true? For young adults that want to do something fun all year around including summer what do you recommend in D.C? Are there go karts? Laser tag? Mini golf? Bowling? If you don't wish to do something historic while your in dc like visiting the smithsonian museums. Why should dc:Maryland residents have to drive an 1 hour an 50 minutes to get to kings dominion or almost 3 hours to get to Busch gardens Williamsburg if your a theme park lover living in Washington DC/Baltimore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 03:34 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Well I think you answered your own question a little bit, my question is what do you consider "young adult entertainment"? Amusement parks are more popular amongst 18 and under people. There are hundreds of options throughout the DC/ Balt area for young adult entertainment. Yes many of the ones you mentioned, every city has go karts, bowling, pool halls, and laser tag, have you not been to the region in that long?

Six Flags is the amusement park for the region, so people do not "have" to leave the area to get to one. Albeit the ones further out are a lot better.

ESPN zone's across the country closed btw not just DC, only NY and LA remained open.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Young adults and teenagers are not the same thing. For the 21 and older crowd there is Penn Social, several music venues, theaters, etc. There is also a cat cafe coming soon as well. There is a reason the city is popular with millenials, the city practically caters to them at this point.
It also seems like you are stuck in a past as well.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 03-12-2015 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristExplorer281 View Post
I heard their was an ESPN Zone that closed like back in 2007...due to financial issues. But I look around D.C because I've been their once in my life, and see theirs very little entertainment to do for young adults, or fun things to do indoors or outdoors....I know six flags America is in Upper Marlboro,MD but I've heard good things and bad things about the park...can anyone tell me why D.C/Baltimore lacks a big theme park that welcomes guests not only from the Dc.md area but from all over the country, like Busch gardens Williamsburg for instance? Just heard the park really isn't that good at all, theirs been reports of stabbing Incidents, guns found in the park, gangs spotted walking around Six Flags-why is that? Is the park really that unsafe? If the rumors are true? For young adults that want to do something fun all year around including summer what do you recommend in D.C? Are there go karts? Laser tag? Mini golf? Bowling? If you don't wish to do something historic while your in dc like visiting the smithsonian museums. Why should dc:Maryland residents have to drive an 1 hour an 50 minutes to get to kings dominion or almost 3 hours to get to Busch gardens Williamsburg if your a theme park lover living in Washington DC/Baltimore?

Young adults? Did you mean children based on these places?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
The OP is probably 16....

Old 03-13-2015, 04:10 AM

48 posts, read 57,362 times
THIERS nuthing wrong with Baltimore or washingdon.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:45 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,158,739 times
How many theme park are attractions for families all over America? Only ones I can think of are Disneyland, Disney World and Universal Studios. So only Orlando and greater Los Angeles have huge theme parks.

That is true though that there isn't much teenager stuff. I don't think theres any mini golf within 10 miles of DC. All the popular stuff teens liked when I was a kid like malls, arcades, record stores and go kart places are disappearing. Maybe go to a local Chuck E Cheese, they have lots of arcade games.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:55 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
There are some laser tag, trampoline bounce and rock climbing places in Baltimore County. I was surprised how much there is for young people to do.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Outside of Florida and So. Cal., there probably won't be a large scale theme park built from scratch for a very long time, if ever. Most were built in a 20 year period from the 1950s to the early 1970's, when the middle class was booming, commercial debt was cheap and readily available, and land was cheap in the outskirts of cities. Today, new rides are extremely expensive, construction costs are much higher, debt is expensive and difficult to get for new theme parks without the backing of a major corporation, land is more expensive due to ex-burb sprawl, the worn off novelty so they have to spend a ton in marketing costs, and it is difficult to build near any residential areas because of noise and NIMBY issues.

These factors make it uneconomical to build a new theme park today that is only going to operate part of the year, and will probably be far away from where lots of people live. The last one failed spectacularly in Myrtle Beach, a Hard Rock themed park that lasted 1 year before going bankrupt. When the major theme park companies want to expand, they don't build new parks, they just buy independent ones that are failing for peanuts or expand existing parks.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:33 PM

332 posts, read 868,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Young adults and teenagers are not the same thing. For the 21 and older crowd there is Penn Social, several music venues, theaters, etc. There is also a cat cafe coming soon as well. There is a reason the city is popular with millenials, the city practically caters to them at this point.
It also seems like you are stuck in a past as well.
I read about the cat cafe created by a yuppie for yuppies. Music venus and theaters are once in a while things not the kind of stuff that will really bring a rush or excitement necessarily and are more costly. Penn social is good but over crowded. late 20s- 30 yr olds like amusement parks, go karts, laser tag, as well and beach games. Anyway, op you might try to find a dave and busters, there are laser tag places here too or you might like dancing at some latin clubs here that teach and going to the amusement parks in spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: