Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times

Advertisements

There's a really nice Camden Apartments Building right across from the ballpark on S Capitol Street but it's about half a mile between the Navy Yard Metro Station and the Waterfront Metro Station. However, it's right around the corner from blocks of projects.

If I were going to live in SW, I guess I would stick to 4th St as the other poster said. You won't be far from the Metro station and it's safe. I just don't like most of the buildings on 4th St. I feel like I've fell into a 1960s time machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Every building has its share of issues. Many buildings in SW date from the 60s and are dealing with the realities of infrastructure replacement and ongoing maintenance, some of which gets expensive. Be sure to carefully check your building's financials before buying. You also may find a degree of "dysfunction" - these large buildings have enough long-term owners with strong opinions that factions sometimes form. Tiber Island has the reputation as the best run building in the neighborhood, but even then still has certain issues it has to contend with (per the friends I have living there). No building is perfect! Potomac Place Tower is an old building that was gut-renovated about 5 years ago, but honestly I don't know how "deep" the reno went (such as to the systems).
I don't know how deep the renovations went either. I live in PPT...knock on wood, I haven't had any real issues and I've been here since late 2011. Would I change a few things? Yeah...there's no BBQ/grilling station like the newer buildings have, pool is smaller obviously. I'm really concerned about my selling power once the new condos are up b/c while the building looks like its from the 60s or 70s and the amenities are pretty decent, its not comparable to the stainless steel, floor to ceiling windows, etc.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:10 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,536,932 times
The only building I'd avoid buying in is Carrollsburg. As for rentals, Capitol Park Tower, Channel Square, and View at Waterfront have new owners that are making upgrades; the former two were in somewhat iffy condition before. Pro tip: in the condos/coops, some units are only advertised by-owner on the buildings' own sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I'm really concerned about my selling power once the new condos are up
But our places will look like such bargains compared to there -- they're charging almost 2X as much for the same square footage, which is a super steep premium just for new construction.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,711,791 times
My boyfriend lives in the View and it's pretty nice. We love the courtyard (and grills) in the summer. The Lex just opened up next door and seems comparable, but a brand new building instead of an older renovated one. However, the View is about to start some major construction work (adding 2 or 3 more towers) which might be disruptive.

As for general locations, I lived at 3rd & G Street SW for 4 years and loved it. I'd stick with between I Street and M Street to the north/south and 3rd to 9th to the east/west. East of 3rd street it really depends on exactly where you are and your comfort level, but for what it's worth I had no problems when I'd walk around there by myself at night. South of M there's several buildings right by the water which are nice, but they're co-ops with fairly high fees. I can't remember the rental policies there, many co-ops limit or prohibit rentals.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:50 PM

22 posts, read 29,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Potomac Place Tower is an old building that was gut-renovated about 5 years ago, but honestly I don't know how "deep" the reno went (such as to the systems).
My partner and I purchased at Potomac Place Towers 4 years ago. Its a really nice example of mid century modern architecture. We've been incredibly happy living in the building. Management does a great job running the building and it's well maintained. Because it's a condo with a younger population it doesnt suffer from all the drama we've heard about in the high fee coops that have a older population that's resistant to change. The renovations were done fairly well, you won't find any outdated units. Every building will have its issues but it comes down how those issues are addressed. The management team and the board have done an excellent job.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 PM

70 posts, read 110,294 times
I live in SW at Channel Square Apartments.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 PM

17 posts, read 35,148 times
OP here. Thought I'd update with my impressions.

SW is quiet with a residential feel, like everyone says. I wouldn't describe it as sleepy or suburban-feeling, just quiet. I liked the established areas well enough. The Safeway was clean and orderly. (Yes, I walked in and checked it out.) Ultimately, though, the area's not for me.

The older rentals I looked at were REALLY showing their age. Floors hadn't been refinished in 20 years, everything needed a good coat of paint, bathrooms hadn't been updated in ages. Of course this is owner-dependent in the condo buildings, but nearly every unit I saw was like that.

I was not impressed with the older buildings that had been flipped (I'm thinking specifically of the View at Waterfront here). Many updates were inexpensively done a few years ago and were not holding up well at all.

The new buildings were fine. They were largely the same generic new construction that's being stamped out all over the city. For me, though, if I'm going to live in a generic high-rise box, I'd at least like it to be near stuff. Like everyone said, it's really quiet in SW. For the next couple years at least, you'd have to hop on the metro if you wanted to go out. For me, the big appeal of being in a city is being able to walk places; SW is so undeveloped there's not much to walk to.

I visited 14 buildings in 2 days. Yes, I was exhausted afterwards lol. I was fortunate to learn that the position I'm in the running for pays more than I expected, so I was able to bump up my budget a good bit. If I want a high rise, I'll go to the MVT area near the Safeway. My first choice right now, though, is a row house on Capitol Hill because of the short walk to work; I'll see what's available when I move this summer.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Old 04-17-2015, 05:39 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times
I don't blame you. I feel like I'm traveling through a time machine through the 1960s when I walk down 4th street.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I don't blame you. I feel like I'm traveling through a time machine through the 1960s when I walk down 4th street.
LOL yeah pretty much, although they're building a new apartment building next to Masala, and further up the street on 4th (heading towards the museums), they're building a hotel. It's going to look very different the next couple of years. There's two vacant spots and I really wish they could put in something like a Chipotle, IDK...I'm just guessing here. The lack of food options sucks.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:29 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,536,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnOnymous123 View Post
I was fortunate to learn that the position I'm in the running for pays more than I expected, so I was able to bump up my budget a good bit.
Congratulations, and thanks for checking back in! You'll love living on the Hill. MVT often seems too overtly yuppie for my tastes, but the convenience can't be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: