Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM

29 posts, read 210,288 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on the differences, goods, and bads between these 2 cities. I'm female, 30, single, a doctor, love the outdoors (hiking, camping, kayaking, just gazing at beautiful scenery), and also like a bit of city 'sophistication' (drinking a martini in a chic lounge, taking dance lessons, eating at trendy restaurants, being surrounded by an educated and liberal clientele). I prefer to live surrounded by green but would like to be within an hour's reach to the city. I grew up in Rochester NY (about as depressing as it comes), lived in Atlanta (very nice but didn't feel like I fit in), and NYC (hated it). Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM

50 posts, read 336,160 times
What a dramatic choice. I read some of the posts on the Denver forum as well. I think you would be hard-pressed to come up with two more different cities. I can't really comment, since I have never lived in Denver but Nelumbo on the other forum seemed accurate. If you really want an urban lifestyle (the restaurants, martinis and relatively carfree lifestyle, more liberals than you can shake a stick at), DC is it. If you want the outdoors, and a more laid-back and friendly (if slightly more conservative) population, Denver wins hands down. There are outdoor activities here, better than NY anyway, but nothing like Denver. I own a car (a Prius), but I only use it on weekends here in DC and take Metro everywhere. Try that in Denver. The last time I was in Denver though I hiked up this mountain in the middle of July and found myself by a beautiful lake surrounded by snow. Try that in DC . . .

Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
I can't speak at all on Denver, but my brother and I used to go for what we'd call a "morning '***" on the Potomac River. We'd get up early, drive 10 minutes out to the rapids surrounded by woods on the Potomac, kayak for about an hour, then head into the office downtown. I don't know how many places you can do that. There's good hiking in the Appalachians, and the beaches aren't too far away from DC. We used to run through Rock Creek Park in the middle of DC - about 12 miles without hardly ever being out of rugged hills and trees. It was nice.

That said - I think you're going to have to choose which is more important to you. If the outdoor lifestyle edges out the urban, then Denver is it. DC can't compete with the mountains. If the urban edges out the outdoor, then DC is it. Denver can't compete with the urban sophistication on the east coast. I think you can get both to some degree in either place.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:03 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,661 times
keep in mind DC as a locus has many things Mountains to the west, beaches to the East etc.. Big cities to the North, Southern access down south.

DC also has 3 airports to choose from, and I also know that a lot of people hate flying into Denver.

These are probably minor things, but Denver/Colorado I think has the fittest people in the US apparently So I imagine that kind of lifestyle and rec is widely available and pleasant.

But I get the impression DC would be a better fit for you but that's only the excuse of the internet so I am not sure that holds water...

Old 11-30-2016, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,180 times
What did you decide to do sdepauw8? Did you decide to go to Denver or Washington DC? I'm looking at making this pick right now!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:21 AM

50 posts, read 53,298 times
Default In same situation!

Hi,

Which did you choose? I must make same decision in next 3 months.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:43 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
The OP hasn't posted on c-d in more than 8 years.

It will be a miracle if you get an answer. :-)

Old 12-09-2016, 10:14 AM

21 posts, read 19,547 times
fellow rochesterian checking in. i'm deciding between denver and DC as well. keep this thread alive for us!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:32 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdstwin View Post
fellow rochesterian checking in. i'm deciding between denver and DC as well. keep this thread alive for us!
The discussion definitely needs to be updated. The OP is from 2008. DC is not the same city it was in 2008 and neither is Denver.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:53 AM

21 posts, read 19,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The discussion definitely needs to be updated. The OP is from 2008. DC is not the same city it was in 2008 and neither is Denver.
look at me, i'm the OP now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC