Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:54 PM

590 posts, read 1,010,593 times

Advertisements

Great, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Okay, I am an idiot. What would the boundaries for "downtown" be? And should I stay there (hotel) for ez access to metro/activities? (roughly, looking at map: north of Natl. Mall to K St, Potomac River to 7th St NW?)

If I would stay around that area, are trips to Georgetown, Capitol Hill something I would do only in daytime (metro), or it's okay in the night as well?

And to complete the stupid question, what is the U St. Corridor? I understand it's on U Street, but from where to where and is it something to do at night?

I am basically trying to figure pout if I need to stay in downtown at night or how far I can safely go. The first time I visited Chicago, I got plenty of scaring stories about how bad and dangerous it is, however I walked many times the whole downtown from north to south, went to different neighborhoods in the evening for jazz, never had problems.

I just had no clue of what are the areas to avoid in Dc that walking or taking public transportation from downtown toward other neighborhoods a tourist could inadvertently bump into.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,515,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Okay, I am an idiot. What would the boundaries for "downtown" be? And should I stay there (hotel) for ez access to metro/activities? (roughly, looking at map: north of Natl. Mall to K St, Potomac River to 7th St NW?)

If I would stay around that area, are trips to Georgetown, Capitol Hill something I would do only in daytime (metro), or it's okay in the night as well?

And to complete the stupid question, what is the U St. Corridor? I understand it's on U Street, but from where to where and is it something to do at night?

I am basically trying to figure pout if I need to stay in downtown at night or how far I can safely go. The first time I visited Chicago, I got plenty of scaring stories about how bad and dangerous it is, however I walked many times the whole downtown from north to south, went to different neighborhoods in the evening for jazz, never had problems.

I just had no clue of what are the areas to avoid in Dc that walking or taking public transportation from downtown toward other neighborhoods a tourist could inadvertently bump into.

Thanks
Downtown is roughly Constitution Avenue to P Street and 24th street to like 6th street. The section I would advise getting a hotel in is Constitution to K street and 15th street to 7th street which is more lively at night and on weekends.

DC is incredibly safe. You will never be close to any of the dangerous neighborhoods so don't worry about it. It's definitely safe to walk at night.

The U Street NW corridor is 18th street to 9th street. There are tons of restaurants, coffee shops, bars, and clubs along that stretch. It's considered the "hip" part of DC.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,965,199 times
You might enjoy staying at the Tabard Inn.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:34 PM

27,414 posts, read 28,481,259 times
Quote:
Let me ask you something: I always thought the Smithsonian Museum was a huge museum. Well, now, doing some researches, it seems to be a huge area with MANY museums.
That's correct. The Smithsonian includes several museums and the National Zoo. It is allegedly the largest museum complex in the world. You will have enough time to visit all of them if you desire. I recommend that you watch an IMAX film at the Air & Space Museum and the Museum of Natural History.

In addition, I recommend the National Gallery of Art and the U.S. Holocaust Museum. Both were impressive the last time I went.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:16 PM

Thank you all, great suggestiuons and help!

Old 08-28-2015, 04:44 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,178,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Downtown is roughly Constitution Avenue to P Street and 24th street to like 6th street. The section I would advise getting a hotel in is Constitution to K street and 15th street to 7th street which is more lively at night and on weekends.

DC is incredibly safe. You will never be close to any of the dangerous neighborhoods so don't worry about it. It's definitely safe to walk at night.

The U Street NW corridor is 18th street to 9th street. There are tons of restaurants, coffee shops, bars, and clubs along that stretch. It's considered the "hip" part of DC.
Plus, U Street is also a fun place to people-watch. Many interesting and eccentric people out and about, and you can also peep into some of the cool art galleries, art studios, and clothing boutiques in the neighborhood as well It's always something going on in U Street/Cardozo. Love that neighborhood!

Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 PM

27,414 posts, read 28,481,259 times
By the way, Blues Alley in Georgetown is a good place for live jazz. It includes dinner, so it is costly. But worth it.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:18 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,514,629 times
Quote:

Thanks
To elaborate on your safety question:

The only parts of DC that are too sketchy to walk at night are northern Georgia Avenue in NE and Anacostia, which is over the river. Its very unlikely you will end up in any bad areas unless you are actively trying to get there. For starters, they are pretty far away from the city core, and secondly, there is really no reason to visit these areas because there is nothing to see. But some people consider those parts "the real DC". Which is insulting to the city.

As far as riding the metro (subway) goes.. just avoid the Green line if you want to avoid accidentally going into a sketchy area. All the places worth going on the Green line are also served by the yellow line. And most places only served by the Green line are places you don't want to go anyway.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:38 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,179,674 times
Nats Park and Osteria Morini are on the Green Line, with more of that coming. Maybe don't ride past Navy Yard. At least for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: