Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 AM

21 posts, read 28,301 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Wondering if you can tell me how the commute may be from GP NW (Wisconsin Ave) to D Street SW? I found a nice apartment in what appears to be a really safe good area for 30-somethings and am hoping to sign a lease soon. The one thing that gives me reservation though is the commute. I was hoping to not be more than a half hour but keep hearing of all the traffic and wonder if this is feasible?

Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:36 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
I assume you're driving? If so, you just get on the Rock Creek Parkway and take that downtown. It moves pretty well and is one of the least congested roads during rush hour. Just beware that all lanes go southbound in the morning and all lanes go northbound in the afternoon so it can be confusing for newcomers.

You could easily get to work in 30 minutes.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 AM

Default Thanks!

I wasn't planning on driving originally, but I'll find out about parking in SW and see if that is an option. I was thinking of taking the bus or metro originally and perhaps that is where the length of time seemed increased to me. That's a great tip to know though. Thanks so much.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:05 AM

That definitely wouldn't be under half an hour. You're looking at an easy 30-35 minutes just on Metro, not including walking to and from stops. You could either take the 30N, 30S, or 33 bus to Foggy Bottom and take the Orange/Blue/Silver to Smithsonian or L'Enfant from there or take the bus straight to 7th and Independence and walk from there (D street is 5 min walk away).

30N, 30S, 33 Bus Info: http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/DC/31-33.pdf.

You found a good deal in Glover Park because it doesn't have great transit options really.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 AM

Thank you so much for that route information. That is really helpful. I am not familiar with the bus lines so I'll explore those options you provided.

I've considered the fact that maybe a better alternative would be living in Cleveland or Woodley park but GP just seemed to have a bit more charm in my opinion. Of course now that I'm learning about the transit options, there seems to be a price to pay for that I see!....;-).

Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaNote View Post
Thank you so much for that route information. That is really helpful. I am not familiar with the bus lines so I'll explore those options you provided.

I've considered the fact that maybe a better alternative would be living in Cleveland or Woodley park but GP just seemed to have a bit more charm in my opinion. Of course now that I'm learning about the transit options, there seems to be a price to pay for that I see!....;-).
No problem. And just so you know, not all bus stops are listed on the schedule you kind of have to read between the lines. For example, there are stops on Wisconsin in Glover Park further down from the "Wisconsin & Cathedral" stop that is listed on the schedule and before the "Wisconsin & M" stop that is also listed.

Anyway, if I were you and you chose to move to Glover Park, I would download an app on your smartphone that can tell you when the bus will get to your particular stop. It's very convenient.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:24 AM

137 posts, read 252,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaNote View Post

In fact, a better alternative still would be living in SW itself, Navy Yard or even Eastern Market. The commute would be super-easy. The cross-town bus is NOT a pleasant way to get to/from work.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 AM

Thank you for providing that option. Is it a safe neighborhood in your opinion?
I ask as a single person who has never lived in DC and would like to be in a friendly neighborhood environment. Do you have recommendations on apartments?

I have been having a bit of challenge as I have a dog and car and need space for both.
In my search I have found a lot of bldgs accepting cats but not dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC