Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,743 times

Advertisements

I will be leaving a concert at the Howard Theatre on a Friday night, probably around 11, and need to get to Silver Spring on my own. I've heard many people say to avoid the green line on the metro, especially after dark, but that is the only stop walking distance from the Howard Theatre. For a young woman travelling alone, is it generally safe to be in a metro station that late? Are there people out and about? I don't know the area around the Howard Theatre at all, so I don't know how populated it is or if it's well lit or anything like that.

My other option seems to be to take a cab to Gallery Place and take the red line to Silver Spring from there. Are there any other good options? Any tips about safety in the general area would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 11:38 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
You will be completely fine. There will be a lot of people out and about.

The sketchier crowd will be going the opposite direction towards Branch Avenue (not that it's really dangerous to go that way either).

Old 09-17-2015, 12:00 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,308 times
you'll be fine on a Friday night walking to Shaw at that time. There will be a lot of people out and about

Old 09-17-2015, 12:20 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
I'm around there every time I'm in The City, you'll be fine. Many different types of people around that metro station area.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

The sketchier crowd will be going the opposite direction towards Branch Avenue (not that it's really dangerous to go that way either).
This.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:52 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

Sketchier is a bad way to put it though. I live on Waterfront, and use the one going to Branch Avenue, does that make me sketchy? I'd say once you get past Navy Yard that's where things get interesting.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Sketchier is a bad way to put it though. I live on Waterfront, and use the one going to Branch Avenue, does that make me sketchy? I'd say once you get past Navy Yard that's where things get interesting.
Eye take the ride back home to Branch Avenue whenever I'm leaving The City and even though there do be some interesting characters on the train around that time of night, hardly anything ever pops off. Eye mostly sit in the front and middle cars but Eye did decided to sit in one of the last cars of the train three Sundays ago while in The City. Nothing happened and there was still a decent amount of people in the car all the way to Suitland. Never really get nervous or anything riding the Green Line (haven't rode it anywhere north of Petworth/Georgia Ave though) and Eye even listen to music on my phone with earphones (not the white Apple-issued ones however) but it doesn't hurt to sit in certain seats where you'll have a better perspective of your surroundings. The only station the Green Line pulls up in where Eye be on my guard a little bit is Congress Heights because it's dark as hell in that station lol. Other than that, the rest of the ride going from and to Branch Avenue is pretty chill and almost uneventful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC