U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:06 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,403,748 times
I've lived here for three years and while I enjoy it, there are TONS of type A "did I tell you how important I am" personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 PM

19,178 posts, read 19,642,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
I've lived here for three years and while I enjoy it, there are TONS of type A "did I tell you how important I am" personalities.
Wow! This is great news for me. This is exactly the sort of person I've been looking for! Can you tell me where they might hang out? I've lived here for 35 years and I haven't managed to find a one of them...

Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM

48 posts, read 131,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Wow! This is great news for me. This is exactly the sort of person I've been looking for! Can you tell me where they might hang out? I've lived here for 35 years and I haven't managed to find a one of them...
Playbill Cafe, especially on Thursdays nights.

Oh wait. You were looking for A type self-important people? Nevermind. Those are all fun, friendly, let's-be-friend types. My bad.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:08 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,403,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
lol I don't see how you've avoided them for 35 years but hop into nearly any bar on Capitol Hill, in Georgetown, or even Adams Morgan and start talking to a random stranger (if they will even talk to you). It's nothing personal against DC like I said I absolutely love living here and have met some great people but compared to where I used to live the attitudes of many in this area were very noticable.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM

48 posts, read 131,980 times
Not to be "like that," but really, hop into a bar in Georgetown or Capitol Hill? Maybe that's the problem? Just sayin'.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,883,317 times
Hey Coldbliss....
I was the kid who took the AP classes, graduated at the top of the class, and was ridiculed by the "burnouts" who took easy classes, smoked behind the high school, and bragged about how wasted they got last night. So was my husband. One of the reasons we moved to DC 20 years ago is that it is full of smart people with diverse backgrounds who work hard at jobs they actually enjoy.

Many of our high school classmates, in one of those "normal" cities you admire, never went to college and are living down the street from the house in which they grew up because inertia is an extremely powerful force. They would really like to work for the state government because of the great benefits, and look ten years older than their actual age because they can't kick the smoking habit and are at least 30 pounds overweight. They've never been outside the country, never had a neighbor who speaks another language, and haven't been to a museum since their junior high school days. They watch lots of TV, don't read much, and care more about the local high school's football team than its SAT scores.
Some of those people move here, and find that the kids they used to make fun of are actually running the country, and it seems to bother them. Go figure.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,891,240 times
As I'm reading this thread, I would have thought I would love DC if I wasn't a DC native in the first place.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,891,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Many of our high school classmates, in one of those "normal" cities you admire, never went to college and are living down the street from the house in which they grew up because inertia is an extremely powerful force. They would really like to work for the state government because of the great benefits, and look ten years older than their actual age because they can't kick the smoking habit and are at least 30 pounds overweight.
What about George W. Bush? He was a C student, and he's the President. Of the United States of America. Go figure.

Not to mention Bill Gates who dropped out of college to build a behemoth of a computer company and become the richest man in America in the process. Steve Jobs, too? Oh, and don't forget about the yahoo and Google guys either.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM

842 posts, read 908,154 times
Oh yes. You are the enlightened one. You broke free from a small town with people with small minds. God, doesn't it feel great to put those people down from your lofty perch in the Nation's Capital? Slaving away at college and busting your butt through law school gives you complete license to treat anyone who doesn't quite fit your intelligence standards like garbage.

Poor people are ugly, lazy, fat and stupid and they don't come to Washington, DC to build a career. Got the picture, now.

Oh yeah, no one outside of DC really cares what you do. But I am sure you are making the world a better place...for Fortune 500 corporate clients.

Oh...you and the hubby don't forget to vote Republican in November. God forbid if we should have a Democrat pulling such high-achievers like you down a notch by raising your taxes a few pennies so those ugly, lazy poor people get money for education and health care.

Quote:
Hey Coldbliss....
I was the kid who took the AP classes, graduated at the top of the class, and was ridiculed by the "burnouts" who took easy classes, smoked behind the high school, and bragged about how wasted they got last night. So was my husband. One of the reasons we moved to DC 20 years ago is that it is full of smart people with diverse backgrounds who work hard at jobs they actually enjoy.

Many of our high school classmates, in one of those "normal" cities you admire, never went to college and are living down the street from the house in which they grew up because inertia is an extremely powerful force. They would really like to work for the state government because of the great benefits, and look ten years older than their actual age because they can't kick the smoking habit and are at least 30 pounds overweight. They've never been outside the country, never had a neighbor who speaks another language, and haven't been to a museum since their junior high school days. They watch lots of TV, don't read much, and care more about the local high school's football team than its SAT scores.
Some of those people move here, and find that the kids they used to make fun of are actually running the country, and it seems to bother them. Go figure.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM

32 posts, read 104,953 times
Quote:
Hey Coldbliss....

I can see how statistically DC might have a lot of smart people, but I can't agree with the generalization that people work hard here for jobs that they actually enjoy. I think that is the case everywhere, and conversely a lot of people work really hard at jobs they hate (raises hand). Frankly, most people I know do hate their jobs but put on a smile when they go to work. The type that usually enjoy work also think Bill Lumberg was a great manager and man of the year.

Regarding your classmates, it seems to that you are judging them without knowing the specific facts in some cases. Maybe some of them are happy doing what you consider nothing. I could be wrong because I definitely know people exactly as you are describing, but if they are happy, who am I to laugh at their criminal record and 8 kids?

It's funny you mention the smoking and description of yourself in AP classes. I used to be exactly like you in that respect except that I always felt high school was so easy, I just showed up and slept through it. All the kids who constantly studied and tried for Harvard were the same ones who burned out in college while the "slackers" such as myself breezed through it. I knew I'd never be able to afford Harvard as I had to pay my own tuition, so why try? For me, it was more of a do as little as possible to get the 4.0 and save the effort for a good, but affordable college education. Lets be honest, high school is a joke in terms of mental challenges.

You reminded me of this mentality regarding "smarts" and "success that I grew up with that I've always hated. I'm not saying you were implying any of this but you got me thinking. Specifically, how does earning a college degree mean you are smart? I believe all it means is that you are less likely to be stupid, but by no means does it make you smart. If a person is indeed smart, it is usually obvious to anyone that spends time around that individual. Like respect, you can only earn it.

I interview people constantly with MBAs, Masters, and PhDs and you would not believe the level of stupidity I have witnessed. The majority of candidates are from the DC area and are applying for positions that require serious qualifications, so this does not speak well for DC. I believe it's not a DC thing, however. Stupidity is everywhere.

Further, the same applies to my coworkers and many of them have so called "genius" IQs (another meaningless stat), yet when it comes to real work, they are often useless. I suppose all the time and money people put into school creates a "free pass" mentality, which is even more evident when someone has an advanced degree. I've actually had people tell me they should get the job because they went to Yale.

Somehow, there is a mentality amongst many DC folk that this area is some sort of brain trust because there are lots of college degrees floating around. The overpriced and overrated private universities around here don't help the situation either. I say DC is no more or less stupid/smart than any other metropolitan area, but on paper we look great. Regarding the original post in this topic, I completely agree still because the mindset of this area combined with the type industries that exist here make it very hard to be comfortable around here if you care what others think. Just listen to any group of suburban parents around here talk about their kids and there you have it. If you don't care what other people think, then you'll be quite alright, but it's rare that people honestly can say they fit into that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC