Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:16 PM

17 posts, read 29,228 times

Advertisements

I've called Washington, D.C. my home for just about 15 years (not necessarily the city itself, but the DMV area), and on Friday I was offered a job up in Chicago. I can't TELL you how excited I am to be moving to Chicago! But I do have some mixed emotions about leaving my childhood home...

I will say it was the right time to leave. Plenty of people come to this city looking for great opportunities, but I just didn't see any opportunity for me here. Throughout the course of the last year I have grown very tired of Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia. After visting friends in New York and family in Chicago, I came to realize how SMALL D.C. was. And I know this sounds harsh, but I also found it kind of a soulless place. Not because its home to the Federal Government and that's evil blah blah, but because it's SUCH a transient town, with people who come from all over the country, and it seriously lacks Chi-Town civic pride!

For a while I was ragging on D.C. all the time (pretentious people, awful traffic, etc.), but I think now I've accepted that it just wasn't the right place for me at this point in my life. It may be somebody's city, but it's not my city.

People thinking about relocating here, it does have a great deal to offer! Although, I will say, I would NEVER want to raise my kids in Fairfax County...way too competitive and way much pressure to be "an achiever"!!! But it has a lot of great cultural amenities and a lot of people here are wicked smart!

People, like me, who have been thinking about leaving, go explore other cities! This one may not be right for you. Despite its "steller job market", the city/surrounding areas may not offer you want you want/need to be happy. I needed more nice people and more entertainment options...sorry! Trying my hardest to hold back my snide D.C. comments.

Anyway, anybody else lived here, not been happy, and moved elsewhere? Where did you end up? What was it about D.C. that made it fall out of favor for you?

PS: ALSO, THIS CITY'S COST OF LIVING IS RIDICULOUS. I UNDERSTAND PAYING $3,000 FOR A STUDIO IN NYC, BUT IN D.C.?!?! YOU'RE WORKING ALL THE TIME JUST TO AFFORD TO GET BY! ($3,000 for a studio might be a bit of an exaggeration...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 05:39 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,424 times
Are people in Fairfax really that competitive? I may be moving there so I'm wondering. I know a few people from there, but they seem to be down to earth people. I never really interacted with a lot of the general population.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
First, I don't agree with the Wash Dc Metro area bashing. I think it's a great place to live. It's expensive, because a million other people also thing it's a great place to live.

That being said, I think Chicago is a fantastic city. I've never lived there, but visited quite a few times. Both my husband and I agree..should the great opportunity arise, we would move there.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 PM

155 posts, read 310,621 times
I don't think a million other people think D.C. is a great place to live and that's what drives the ridiculous COLA here. The job market here lures people.

And their quest for power and world domination and for some, world peace.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 PM

158 posts, read 332,920 times
Congrats on the opportunity OP! Each city has its own advantages and disadvantages, and DC has the strong job market to lean on as its advantage. With that said, there will always be a trade off, and the lack of creativity and innovation seems to fall short in many sectors here(compared to other metros). Personally, once I build my resume a bit more I will be looking at a few cities and Chicago is definitely in the running. I'm sure you will love Chicago!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
I don't think a million other people think D.C. is a great place to live and that's what drives the ridiculous COLA here. The job market here lures people.

The evidence suggests that you're wrong. DC consistently ranks among the happiest metro areas in the country in polls. You might not like living here, but in general people do.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
Wish you all the best. You could never pay me enough to endure Chicago's brutal winters

Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,674 times
Chicago is great but miss me with those Moderator cut: let's say bad winters. I'll pass

Last edited by Yac; 07-15-2013 at 05:11 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM

218 posts, read 362,353 times
My 2 cents: Are You Ready to Leave DC?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post

Perhaps it's just a matter of what social and professional circles you choose. What you describe is certainly here but it's not accurate to say it defines this area.

I run into people all the time who are perfectly happy here and, as noted above, the data also shows people are happy here. A lot of people enjoy a transit-oriented city with nice rowhomes, a lot of nightlife, cultural amenities, and interesting jobs.

Most people I encounter here are far from questing for world domination. They want to make a living doing something interesting and meaningful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC