Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 05:17 PM

42 posts, read 56,849 times

Advertisements

Hi;

I'm travelling from South Carolina back home outside US. I notice, I will get a better deal if I fly first to Washington DC and then from there fly back home.

So I'm planning to fly to Washington DC, IAD and arrive by 7 AM and fly at the evening from there. This will also give me sometime to see Washington DC.

My only issue is with Luggage, where do I put them. Is there for example a place either on airport or on the city where I could leave them, since I will not stay at hotel during that time.

Thanks!

Best regards,
A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 07:20 AM

118 posts, read 113,610 times
I pasted from the Smithsonian below (link below that). Another link at bottom for responses to same question on Trip Advisor. Good luck and enjoy DC!

Checkrooms/Lockers*
Lockers are subject to CLOSE WITHOUT NOTICE. Security requires all bags be inspected before they can be placed in self-service checkrooms or lockers. Lockers are for the use of museum patrons only while they visit the Smithsonian.
Lockers are available as follows:

•African Art Museum – lockers with keys
•American History Museum – lockers with keys
(various sizes) on 1st floor (Constitution Ave)
•Freer Gallery and Sackler – lockers with code lock
•Hirshhorn Museum – lockers with code lock
•Natural History Museum – lockers with keys (Const. Ave. & Mall)
•Postal Museum – lockers with keys
•Reynolds Center for Art & Portraiture – lockers with digital locks (F & G Streets)
•Udvar-Hazy Center – lockers with keys

BAG LUNCHES, properly closed and secured, can be stored at these facilities.

*Most lockers are appropriate for coats, small bags, and carry-on luggage.

Alternate non-Smithsonian location:
Union Station luggage storage room
6 a.m. – 10 p.m. daily
charge determined by size of bag & length of time
open to public (not just rail passengers)
need photo ID

Security and Policies | Visit | Smithsonian

Taking suitcases to the Smithsonian - Washington DC Forum - TripAdvisor

Old 12-05-2015, 10:24 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
The U.S. is on a high terror alert right now. Just take it with you. Trying to leave it anywhere but the airport is going to give you a giant hassle. Most airlines have places to hold luggage for people who are on a long layover. Ask the airline.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:02 PM

42 posts, read 56,849 times
Thank you all... I dont think the airline will keep my luggage because I will book for the two trips separate most likely through different airlines.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver77 View Post
Thank you all... I dont think the airline will keep my luggage because I will book for the two trips separate most likely through different airlines.
You won't know unless you call them and ask. Ask the second airline. They have more of a vested interest in keeping you happy before the flight.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 PM

118 posts, read 113,610 times
Two weeks ago we went to the Renwick Gallery and the security in the main entrance sent us to the lower floor and the security there took our carry-on while we walked through the exhibits. So while I agree security is tight, it's still workable.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:39 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
Security is always high in DC -- this is the nation's capital.

Union Station has baggage storage but one of the museums on the mall would probably be more convenient.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Go to Union Station. Drop it off there.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:15 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Go to Union Station. Drop it off there.
agree. see this is coming from a guy wit some REAL street smarts. listen to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: