Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times

Advertisements

If you are not opposed to a religious school, look at St. Andrews Episcopal (coed) and The Heights (all boys), both in Potomac. Both have middle and upper school divisions. We found a religious environment to be kinder. The Heights is extremely conservative while St. Andrews is much more liberal.

We lived in Montgomery County when our children were young so don't look skeptically at my user name. I went through a lot finding the right fit for my son. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:50 AM

912 posts, read 915,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Wealthy schools in general care a great deal LESS about state test scores than poor schools. So this is where you are wrong. They don't get swept aside because they are focused on ratings. On the contrary, they are usually more invested in those kids because those kids parents are wealthier, and have far more political pull as a result. In addition those parents are usually more involved in the IEP process and have the money for legal resources to navigate it. This leads to more cooperative schools. So yeah..huge advantages come from being in a wealthy school district.

Whatever you heard was wrong. The privilege of wealth even extends to their disabled kids.
Based on all the teachers in my family and circle of friends, some newer and some retired, I don't believe the bolded to be true at all. Why would you need legal resources for the IEP process? So far, I have not. Is your child special needs? Did they need a legal resources?

To anyone, how do the three W's stack up for special needs children? Whitman, Wootton, and Walter Johnson?

Old 12-18-2015, 07:52 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,256 times
I'm from Atlanta. I think if you want a kinder school, you might want to stay in Georgia. But this is a very good question.

People up here are obsessed with the ranking and connections of the school instead of actually asking how kind they are as a school. A school that will teach your child for the next decade or more to be a better person, and not only in academics.

Hmmm.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:13 PM

18 posts, read 25,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Based on all the teachers in my family and circle of friends, some newer and some retired, I don't believe the bolded to be true at all. Why would you need legal resources for the IEP process? So far, I have not. Is your child special needs? Did they need a legal resources?

To anyone, how do the three W's stack up for special needs children? Whitman, Wootton, and Walter Johnson?
Our son is currently in private school, so does not have an IEP. When he went to public school five years ago, he had an IEP, but his dyslexia has been remediated since that time. He will need accommodations such as extras time on tests and use of a computer for note taking. I am unsure if he needs an IEP for that.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:10 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times
Quality public schools + good hoods + options at <$1.2M

AU park area / Spring Valley in DC
Bethesda feeding to Wilson
McLean area
North Arlington

Old 01-03-2016, 10:58 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWHATL View Post
My husband is currently considering several job offers. One is in DC (near the White House). We have one son who need accommodations in school (specifically, he is dyslexic and needs extra time on tests, the use of a computer to take notes during class and not to be penalized for spelling mistakes. We strongly prefer walkable neighborhoods and a short commute for my husband - I can work from anywhere. We would like to spend less than $1,200,000 on a home. The numbers on Great Schools do not help me understand the character of a school. While we value academic excellence, we also need a kind, nurturing place that understand we do not all fit in the same box. He will be in 8th grade, so I am interested specifically in high schools and middle school recommendations. Many thanks for your time.
The Siena School-Silver Spring MD
The Lab School-Washington DC
Chelsea School-Hyattsville MD
The Kingsbury Center-Washington DC

All 4 middle/high school age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: