Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 01:45 AM

137 posts, read 145,178 times

Advertisements

The city is clearly going up.
These photos show how the streets looked before some of the new buildings were built.

Before-and-After Photos Show How Much DC Has Changed in Less Than 10 Years | Washingtonian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 06:05 AM

769 posts, read 829,838 times
Gentrification is a wonderful thing. I wish more cities would bulldoze ghettos and build new stuff, move people who care about the community in

Old 12-23-2015, 06:13 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
I don't know why they didn't do more in Waterfront and Navy Yard. Those neighborhoods have changed as much as any.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:44 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
Gentrification is racist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Gentrification is a wonderful thing. I wish more cities would bulldoze ghettos and build new stuff, move people who care about the community in

Old 12-24-2015, 11:12 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
I agree.

America's cities are no place for crime and ghetto trash. They need to be safe, clean, livable and convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Gentrification is racist!
Only to people who don't understand it.

It is actually racist to believe gentrification is racist. Gentrification moves poor people to a new location. It has nothing to do with race. Last I checked.. all poor people were not one race.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:44 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I agree.

America's cities are no place for crime and ghetto trash. They need to be safe, clean, livable and convenient.

Only to people who don't understand it.

It is actually racist to believe gentrification is racist. Gentrification moves poor people to a new location. It has nothing to do with race. Last I checked.. all poor people were not one race.

same group of real estate speculators and investors that are "cleaning up" and "rebuilding" the ghettos are the same people that created them. Yall obviously need to read a history book and pay attention to a key term called redlining.

gentrification can be non racist but the creation of most of our nations ghettoes had very racist intentions......esp when black people moved in and white people VOLUNTARILY AND WILLINGLY decided to move out.

the same people being forced out of the ghettos are being forced out of the same neighbrohoods they were once restricted to because either they couldnt afford anywhere else or housing discrimination from the types of people i see on these boards wouldnt let them live anywhere else.....

stop lying....i dont believe you.....and historical fact backs my arguments so u cant get enough people....u wanna be a gentrification cheerleader thats fine but revisionist history and convienintly omitting key facts from the story downright foolish

Old 12-25-2015, 09:13 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
same group of real estate speculators and investors that are "cleaning up" and "rebuilding" the ghettos are the same people that created them. Yall obviously need to read a history book and pay attention to a key term called redlining.

gentrification can be non racist but the creation of most of our nations ghettoes had very racist intentions......esp when black people moved in and white people VOLUNTARILY AND WILLINGLY decided to move out.

the same people being forced out of the ghettos are being forced out of the same neighbrohoods they were once restricted to because either they couldnt afford anywhere else or housing discrimination from the types of people i see on these boards wouldnt let them live anywhere else.....

stop lying....i dont believe you.....and historical fact backs my arguments so u cant get enough people....u wanna be a gentrification cheerleader thats fine but revisionist history and convienintly omitting key facts from the story downright foolish
Repped.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:31 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post

We are talking about today, not 100 years ago.

The stuff you're saying doesn't matter, because gentrification in 2015/2016 is not racist. The ghettos were created a long time ago when America was more racist and white people moved away from areas if Black people came in. That was a different time.

In 2016, few urban white people will feel the need to move because a college educated, middle class black person moves into a house or unit next to them.

Like I said earlier: Its only racist if you don't understand it.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:18 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
People forget that many white people moved out of cities percisely because crime skyrocketed in many areas, and so did many black people. Much of flight was a direct result of the violent crime that comes with increased urban poverty. We had a terrible policy of warehousing the poor in cities, and as a result many people left. This "Affordable" low income housing remained a blight on cities, largely because what comes with it is a significant increase in crime. Anything that leaves out the high crime that low income people brought in the flight narrative is an inherently false narrative. To say it was racism alone is being ignorant and in denial of what was going on.

Redlining and restrictive covenants is an artifact of the past that no longer exists and has not for decades. The reality of gentrification is that when you remove any restriction, and people are allowed to buy where they so choose, those places which are more centrally located go up in value if the city has a robust enough economy. Gentrification is not racist, but it cuts down the artificial boundaries that were created because of racism. Having a non-discriminatory market which is based on market principles alone means people can buy and sell where they so choose. Just because an area was historically one ethnic group or another matters not, because the reality is in a non-discriminatory market, one that is based on who has money, these differences do not matter. That's the thing about the market when non-discrimination provisions are put in place, it cuts both ways, a white person can buy in a black area, and a black person can buy in a white area. It's whoever has the money, not the color of their skin. When the market controls, this means there will be displacement, and those old boundaries matter very little. Steering people based on those boundaries is in fact illegal.

Like it or not this is why gentrification cannot be stopped, nor should it be. Because any interference, is in fact is outright discriminatory, especially in the fee simple home market. It basically would re-institute redlining or restrictive covenants in another form. This is the reality now, it is financially based. Because buying and selling cannot be determined by the color of ones skin, nor can renting, or any other market activity. This means if a white guy wants to buy in Anacostia, he can, likewise if a black woman wants to buy in Chevy Chase she can. So this means areas are much more likely to change.

Gentrification is the direct result of things being market based. Gentrification would not happen to the same extent otherwise, especially in DC. Real estate agents have to show all properties based on a persons budget and criteria, and any steering has to be directed by the person who is buying. This is why in a housing market like DC gentrification is going to happen, real estate agents have been sued over steering white people away from black neighborhoods, and lost. Because it's ILLEGAL.

Like it or not getting so hung up about the past is not going to help...gentrification is going to happen. Because those same non-discrimination provisions in many ways fuel gentrification. They are a double edged knife. It cuts both ways. When a market acts in a non-discriminatory matter, it is those who are best financed which win out. That's it. Gentrification then is not racial at all, but rather economic, it is the direct result of the housing market acting in a non-discriminatory fashion. Where racial boundaries are not respected, and money flowing based purely on other factors. Like it or not this means many "historically black neighborhoods" are not going to black anymore. On the flip side, the same will happen with white suburban neighborhoods. When the market acts in a non-discriminatory factor, this means change is more rapid in neighborhoods everywhere, as market factors decide based more under this financially based rubric instead of an enforced demographic one. Money, and money alone controls.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:22 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
We are talking about today, not 100 years ago.

The stuff you're saying doesn't matter, because gentrification in 2015/2016 is not racist. The ghettos were created a long time ago when America was more racist and white people moved away from areas if Black people came in. That was a different time.

In 2016, few urban white people will feel the need to move because a college educated, middle class black person moves into a house or unit next to them.

Like I said earlier: Its only racist if you don't understand it.

the stuff im saying very much matters because history matters, esp when making claims about who and what ruined big cities in the first foccccking place.

and math also matters. 100 years ago was 1915....what i speak of didnt start until roughly 1960 which is only 55 years ago.

and a college educated black person who tries to rent a room in anypart of DC thats not the far SE runs into the same housing discrimination they ran into in white suburbs for years (this forum proves the existence of these atitudes) youd be surprised howmany educated professional blacks are living in a studio out in suitland landover or hyattsville somewhere.

gentrification can easily be used as indirect non violent ethnic cleansing so i do understand how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: