Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:39 AM

814 posts, read 911,224 times

Advertisements

I would like to add one last thing. Gentrification does not solve the issue of poverty, it sweeps it under the rug, ignoring it wont make it go away.

If I lost my job I would still have 75k a year coming in because of what my wife makes, our income will always be well above poverty, we're blessed and grateful for what we have.

There is too much hate, greed, poverty and racial tension in the United States, it's almost 2016 and despite your income or color we're all Americans and we all need to stand as one.

Solving the problem of poverty will get more people out there working, paying taxes, and the cities will thrive anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:56 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Race absolutely does matter here--just as much as socio-economic class. When I mean "here", I am referencing the District of Columbia. For decades when all of the neighborhoods east of 16th Street were overwhelmingly black, did the DC government and real estate developers get together to improve neighborhoods for working-class black residents during the 1970s, 1980s or 1990s? Was there a concerted effort to build more playgrounds or institute stronger law enforcement measures against violent crimes? Was there a noticeable increase in spending on public schools? Was there more neighborhood health clinics available? Did potential business owners from the community receive incentives to start up new restaurants, specialty stores or repair shops? Did black working class renters receive generous home buyer incentives? Did black residents receive favorable credit scores and fair interest rates with property and business investments?
1. The DC Government did help plan and build Metro in some of the poorest neighborhoods in the city like Anacostia, Congress Heights, Deanwood, Minnesota Ave, and Benning Rd.

2. What the hell does the government have to do with credit scores?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:09 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenn View Post
The city is clearly going up.
These photos show how the streets looked before some of the new buildings were built.

Before-and-After Photos Show How Much DC Has Changed in Less Than 10 Years | Washingtonian

Simply amazing! I've been living in DC for almost 4 years now and have seen a ton of changes in just that short amount of time so going back 10 years must be a huge difference. I truly love this city and what its becoming.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:14 PM

135 posts, read 144,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
same group of real estate speculators and investors that are "cleaning up" and "rebuilding" the ghettos are the same people that created them. Yall obviously need to read a history book and pay attention to a key term called redlining.

gentrification can be non racist but the creation of most of our nations ghettoes had very racist intentions......esp when black people moved in and white people VOLUNTARILY AND WILLINGLY decided to move out.

the same people being forced out of the ghettos are being forced out of the same neighbrohoods they were once restricted to because either they couldnt afford anywhere else or housing discrimination from the types of people i see on these boards wouldnt let them live anywhere else.....

stop lying....i dont believe you.....and historical fact backs my arguments so u cant get enough people....u wanna be a gentrification cheerleader thats fine but revisionist history and convienintly omitting key facts from the story downright foolish

Amen!!!!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I agree.

Until you own the land you live on.. you have to right to live on it. If you are renting then you have the right to live in a place for as long as you can afford it. Once you cannot afford it, you have to leave. Its not "your neighborhood" and no one is "pushing you out". Before you lived there, someone else did. And after you, someone else will.

People who think certain people have a right to live in a certain place just because they've been there for a long time don't understand the difference between borrowing and owning.

You do realize that nobody owns the land that their home sits on in DC right???

Old 12-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
I would like to add one last thing. Gentrification does not solve the issue of poverty, it sweeps it under the rug, ignoring it wont make it go away.

If I lost my job I would still have 75k a year coming in because of what my wife makes, our income will always be well above poverty, we're blessed and grateful for what we have.

There is too much hate, greed, poverty and racial tension in the United States, it's almost 2016 and despite your income or color we're all Americans and we all need to stand as one.

Solving the problem of poverty will get more people out there working, paying taxes, and the cities will thrive anymore.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:04 PM

814 posts, read 911,224 times
meant to say even more

Old 12-29-2015, 09:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post

There is no solution to poverty. There are limited resources and the economy is based on that. You will never have everyone living a middle class or higher lifestyle. Never. The world population is too high to allow for it, given the earths resources. There will always be an under class.

Your post is the kind that gets emotional standing ovations in front of an audience. However, it is not grounded in any logic or reality.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Amazing! Although I'm not quite as jealous as I imagined I would be.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 AM

137 posts, read 145,178 times
There is another cool slideshow which uses photos from the past and combines them with pictures from today

11 Amazing Then-and-Now Pictures of Washington, DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: