Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 05:13 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
The snow storm is exciting, yes, and looks very pretty. But. It's the 'after-the-storm' part that decidedly is not amusing. It melts during the day then it freezes at night, which makes going out in the morning on the icy, slippery roads an unpleasant and frightening experience. It stays on the ground and gets dirty and icky looking after awhile, too.

One thing to remember is that if you are shoveling out your car and decide to run it, make sure the exhaust pipe is clear of snow.

Good luck, East Coasters; I don't miss that stuff.
Yeh, a lot of the problem is that it freezes overnight into glare ice. You can't drive on that. So true about clearing out the car's exhaust pipe so you don't get carbon monoxide poisoning which can kill you.

Ideally, don't try to drive for a few days until it's been cleared up. For once, we in this part of New England, are being spared, but we send you wishes for a safe couple of days until this mess goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
So I'm flying in to Reagan on Tuesday and will be headed to the office in Arlington 5 miles down the road. Think the area will be relatively clear by then? I used to live there back in '96 and I remember the whole city being virtually shut down for a week. Don't know if they've gotten any better at snow removal.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So I'm flying in to Reagan on Tuesday and will be headed to the office in Arlington 5 miles down the road. Think the area will be relatively clear by then? I used to live there back in '96 and I remember the whole city being virtually shut down for a week. Don't know if they've gotten any better at snow removal.
By Tuesday everything should be fine.

They will likely spend all of Sunday clearing roads and sidewalks. Some melting will start on Sunday as well. Tuesday temps are in the mid 40s. So by Tuesday it SHOULD be business as usual. But if we have power outages, it might take longer.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:00 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Jinnyjoe.

How about some video from Toronto, showing how we do snow removal on the busiest highway in Canada or the USA ? The 401 highway runs right through the centre of Toronto, and it has a total of 18 lanes of traffic, 9 in each direction. This video was shot from the balcony of a 25 story condo apartment building that over looks the 401. There are a total of 23 plow and salt trucks in the convoy, clearing the express lanes, the collector lanes, and the on and off ramps, all at once. They are travelling at about 50 mph. The convoy does a 20 mile section going in one direction, then they turn around and other direction.

The 401 runs from Windsor, Ontario, all the way to the Quebec Provincial boundary, a total of about 600 miles. The Ministry of Transportation is responsible for the highways, while cities and towns take care of their own roads. The city of Toronto has a fleet of 800 plow trucks, sidewalk plows, sanders and brine trucks.

link to the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUds1pWKMjs

Your comments and questions are welcome.

Jim B.

You would find this level of snow removal capability in the northern tier of US states. When I lived in Michigan you would see the snow removal fleet out clearing roads as quickly as it fell. Other cold snowy northern states like Wisconsin, New York, Maine, Minnesota, Montana etc could do the same. Most US states could not match the preparedness of Ontario however. Here in the Southern US the plan is to stay indoors and let it melt the next day. Washington DC sits near the Mason Dixon line, north of there you will find better prepared municipalities, south of there you will find little preparation as snow is rare. It will be interesting how DC deals with it. Boston or Chicago would shake it off, DC?? don't know.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:02 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
It's only raining here. Thanks, God. I'll remember this in the stifling South Carolina heat next summer.

We got mostly rain in the Knoxville TN area as well. Big snows to our east in the mountains though.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:48 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I agree, partially. Living in ID a good 4x4 SUV or truck with the correct tires, decent ground clearance and an experienced driver will get you safely from point A to point B, better than a low slung FWD or RWD vehicle with the same driver.

But also living in ID, I love it when I read about how the grocery stores are being cleared out due to an upcoming blizzard. Reminds me of when I live in TN.

Have fun, enjoy and be careful out there.....
I don't understand why there is a run on snow shovels????? Salt you use up, but how can that many people not already have a snow shovel?

In my experience the way you become an experienced driver is to drive in the stuff. I've spend winters in New England, New York,and Chicago with rear wheel drive cars. A good SUV makes travel relatively easy compared to a 70s era RWD car.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:52 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
There was a brief period of flurries here this morning. Snowflakes trickled down so elegantly and melted immediately into the brown ground. And then the clouds parted, making way for the sun.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:08 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Folks, it isn't snowing in DC. It isn't. Don't believe it. Like the moon landings, this snow storm is a green-screen video made in a Disney studio. We've been had again. The guv'mint did this so they could get a day off. It isn't snowing.

- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You would find this level of snow removal capability in the northern tier of US states. When I lived in Michigan you would see the snow removal fleet out clearing roads as quickly as it fell. Other cold snowy northern states like Wisconsin, New York, Maine, Minnesota, Montana etc could do the same. Most US states could not match the preparedness of Ontario however. Here in the Southern US the plan is to stay indoors and let it melt the next day. Washington DC sits near the Mason Dixon line, north of there you will find better prepared municipalities, south of there you will find little preparation as snow is rare. It will be interesting how DC deals with it. Boston or Chicago would shake it off, DC?? don't know.
There is really no science at all behind the Mason Dixon line. In 2016 the Mason Dixon line doesn't mean anything.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:41 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
Will the Government and other businesses in DC be closed on Monday? What's your guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC