Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:51 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
-Philly's homicide rate has surpassed ours, they're at 110 for the year, or more than 3x our total with 2.4x the city population

-the only area in Philly where you can really get away from violent crime is the area between city hall and 30th street station down to around rittenhouse square plus society hill, in DC you've got the whole portion of the city west of 16th street that's got reasonably low crime for an urban area

-DC is far more educated

-Philly sports fans are not human beings
What are you talking about? First of all, Philadelphia is WAAAY bigger than DC. You can't make this statement if you've only been to Center City and then a few blocks west of Penn. If I visited only Southeast DC, would it be fair for me to say that the entire District is a war zone outside of Capitol Hill?

Who cares that it's more educated? This also makes DC more pretentious.

Do DC sports fans even exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Don View Post
Every neighborhood in the northwest borough of Washington is populated by the same people, whether it be Georgetown, Adams Morgan or U Street. There's no working class there. In Philly, much like Chicago, you have distinctive neighborhoods with all types of ethnicities.
This is spot on.

Quote:
There was one part of Philadelphia that was very reminiscient of Humboldt Park in Chicago, a Puerto Rican neighborhood. There were Puerto Rican flags in nearly every store front and reggatone blasting from nearly every window. This was the type of diversity that drew me to Chicago.
I believe you are referring to Kensington and the area around Frankford Avenue. It's a blend of Philly Ricans, Dominicans, Irish, and blacks.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
^^^^^^Wrong! U street is full of Ethopians. Adams Morgan is representative of everything and G'town is a J. Crew catalog.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
There's no identity to Washington, DC other than it's the seat of the federal government. Blech!
You forgot about Ben's Chili Bowl.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:08 AM
yrb

91 posts, read 220,272 times
Lived in both. DC has much better public transportation, many more livable urban neighborhoods, and by livable I mean walkable and with all necessary amenities and public transport, there is no comparison really. But if you are going to live in suburbs, they all suck anyway, does not matter DC or Philly

Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Philly is surely cheaper. Both cities have nasty people though. DC people are snobs, Philly people completely lack any form of morals.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM
yrb

Quote:
I would have to disagree here, DC's Finest. Washington's downtown is bland, sorta robotical, if that makes any sense. It completely empties out past a certain hour too. Philly's downtown is more similar to the Loop in Chicago. You see skateboarders, poets, acrobats, and the like, and you can get some of th best sandwiches from street vendors. I don't think downtown Washington in any way measures up to downtown Philly.
Absolutely not true. DC downtown is better than Philly downtown (and the Loop) in that respect, by a mile. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrb View Post
Absolutely not true. DC downtown is better than Philly downtown (and the Loop) in that respect, by a mile. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
You think DC's downtown is better than the Loop? Please explain that one. I'm all eyes.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 AM
yrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You think DC's downtown is better than the Loop? Please explain that one. I'm all eyes.
The Loop explained: some great architecture, completely dead at night and on the weekends.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrb View Post
what????

Downtown DC is the blandest downtown area I have ever been to in my life.. At least Philadelphia has some character and some history, even if the people there are nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC