U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 15,203 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to Philadelphia or Washington, DC.

Any thoughts on Philly vs DC for:
1. Amount of house I can afford for $400-$500k? The Philly housing market looks less expensive than DC (although both are high nationally).
2. Culture, quality-of-life, friendly people
3. Kid-friendliness (including day-care or nanny prices)
4. Commute: I'd be commuting downtown in either city and don't mind taking public transportation, but would prefer <1hr each way
5. Taxes

(I already posted this in the Philly forum, but thought it would be fair to get the other perspective! The reaction there was pro-Philly for housing/commute and pro-DC for culture/public transit. I did run across someone who was planning on moving to DC.)

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:14 AM

2,621 posts, read 7,580,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh20100 View Post
I'm looking to relocate to Philadelphia or Washington, DC.

Any thoughts on Philly vs DC for:
1. Amount of house I can afford for $400-$500k? The Philly housing market looks less expensive than DC (although both are high nationally).
2. Culture, quality-of-life, friendly people
3. Kid-friendliness (including day-care or nanny prices)
4. Commute: I'd be commuting downtown in either city and don't mind taking public transportation, but would prefer <1hr each way
5. Taxes

(I already posted this in the Philly forum, but thought it would be fair to get the other perspective! The reaction there was pro-Philly for housing/commute and pro-DC for culture/public transit. I did run across someone who was planning on moving to DC.)

Thanks!
It depends upon where you will actually work.

$400-$500 k will get a good condo or lower end townhouse around the suburbs.

If you are looking for a single family home, you are looking around 45-50 minutes outside of the nearby suburbs.

Nanny and day care prices are high. We had our daughter in a pre-school for around $11k/year. Nannys expect about $25-$35K/YEAR. One colleague paid about fifty thousand per year for 2 kids.

The Metro is good and you can consider places like Vienna, Reston (VA) or Silver Spring, Rockville, Gaithersburg (Montgomery county MD) or even Largo/Greenbelt (MD) or Franconia/Springfield (VA). Something like a Metro line to limit the commute.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM

103 posts, read 359,448 times
Philly is a true armpit of a city... DC has so much more going for it. I spend alot of time in both cities, and there is really so much more excitement in DC.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 AM

18 posts, read 95,404 times
Agree 100% with dkmisol.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 AM

2,799 posts, read 5,438,777 times
Philly, an armpit of a city? Are you on drugs, or are you an actual armpit? Obviously you haven't checked out significant portions of Philadelphia (or perhaps even Washington) to get a real feel about what it's about.

Parts of Philadelphia are very bad (something that is also true of DC, though the proportion of bad parts is distinctly smaller in DC), but parts of it are very nice and a lot more affordable than DC too. Traffic in the DC area is also much, much worse than in the Philly area. If you didn't notice, of eh20100's 5 questions above, 4 of them in some fashion asked about cost of living and commute delays.

P.S. I'm moving to the DC area in about a month and have always liked the DC area during my day trip visits.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:43 AM

886 posts, read 966,363 times
PHILLY!

I would argue that there are more cultural activities such as music concerts, art gallery presentations in Philly than DC. Philly has more affordable housing opportunities--even in neighborhoods that have trendy restaurants and street-level retail locations.

I miss living in Philly. I would go back there in a heartbeat if I find a job in my field up there. DC is not bad. I just can't stand the huge number of power/money-hungry ass holes, the overpriced housing in mediocre neighborhoods, and the God awful traffic in this area.

Plus, Philadelphia is a REAL city with tall buildings and a real native culture. In Washington, DC you have a huge number of transplants and a small local population. There's no identity to Washington, DC other than it's the seat of the federal government. Blech!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM

4,528 posts, read 5,206,999 times
Tall buildings don't make a city. Look at Europe! In fact, DC is a very real city. You have to get past the monuments and enjoy the flavor of all the neighborhoods.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:44 AM

184 posts, read 502,783 times
I like both cities and have lived in both. There's no question that Philly is a whole lot cheaper in terms of housing costs. If you think you are likely to live in the suburbs, you will get a lot more house for the money in the Philly suburbs than in the DC suburbs. This can translate into a shorter commute, too. Driving into downtown at rush hour is easier in Philly, at least for me, compared to my old commute, and there are more rail routes/stations than Metro (although Metro runs more often and is maybe cooler).

I haven't noticed much of a difference between them in child-care costs or other costs. My property taxes were lower in the DC area, but that was offset by the higher house prices. I felt that DC was pretty friendly, maybe because so many people had moved there from somewhere else. Philly has a reputation (I think) for being less friendly, but in my experience people are nice. I have mostly met people in the neighborhood or through my kids' schools.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,327,361 times
Silverspringer, I really appreciated your post about Philly burbs from last year and noticed on another post you had moved to the Main Line and liked where you were living.

Can you please let me know where you ended up as it seemed your take on the area was thorough and emphasized the things that are also important to my wife and I.

We are locals but would be essentially newcomers to any town on the Main Line. I'm assuming you found one where you fit in and have been welcomed, which is what we are looking for as well. No country club membership for us, thanks, just good neighbors, good schools and attractive housing stock.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,327,361 times
And to the OP. Philly is the way to go...more bang, less bull**** for the buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC